Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The most memorable game intro's

Options
  • 31-12-2006 7:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

You know how it is, you have just placed your new game into your PC or console and as you sit their waiting to jump straight in, the game intro begins. Most of these short clips are quickly forgotten but in the many games we play one or two stand out and are fondly remembered years after playing the game.

For me it's Mafia with it's cinematic camera showing the city in all it's glory and knowing that soon it's to be your playground, ending with your character and the police detective sitting in the restraunt. It's like Goodfella's all over again but in the 1920's.

Planescape Torment is another, with you the Nameless One being tortured in a dungeon. It set the scene perfectly for one of the best games I have ever played.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Hmmm.... Bart Versus the Space Mutants will always stand out for me as it was the first game I ran on my brand new (at the time) Amiga 500.

The intro for Magic Pockets sticks in my mind as well due to the great use of the Betty Boo track.

Another World was great too.

But these days intros seem a bit pointless as they tend to be pre-rendered, when back in the day they were a showcase for what your console or computer of choice could pull off.

More recently I love the intro to Super Smash Bros. Melee and will watch the entire intro every time I boot up the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Well I haven't had a lot of time to think about it, but one that jumps out at me is the intro in GTA3 (even above the other GTA games)... it gave you just enough background and set the scene well enough for you to know exactly what your motivation is from the second you're given control... it was exciting and best of all, it did this without boring the pants off someone who's eager to start playing ASAP and doesn't really care.
    Which is exactly how it should be IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Ha... thinking about this more the Amiga was really the golden age of great intros.

Cannon Fodder with it's war has never been so much fun track and Sensible World of Soccer with it's Goal Scoring Supersstar Hero track.

Chaos Engine had great music on it's intro too.

Then there are games that let you take part in the intro like Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis with you falling through the floors of the university as your search for an artifact as the credits roll... and lets not forget the ground breaking intro for Half Life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Freespace 2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Mechwarrior 4 Vengence had a great intro, Dawn of War also had a damn impressive one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Final fantasy 7 was amazing, along with company of heroes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Chaos Engine had great music on it's intro too.
    That was a brilliant intro, loved the music in it as well (and the entire game)

The one that I always end up watching again and again is Zelda - Wind Waker... sublime stuff:)
    The music ("The Legendary Hero") fits it so perfectly

Super Metroid's title screen was one of the greatest ever imo, the chirping sounds of the Metroid along with that haunting music... mmmmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

Intro to HalfLife is good - where your taken arround in that underground train thinngy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Flashman

Mechwarrior 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Final Fantasy VIII was stunning I thought

Another was Gran Turismo - the collage of actual in-game replay footage looked stunning at the time, and the remix of 'Everything Must Go' that went with it was fantastic. All of the GT games have continued that trend of stunning visuals and excellently chosen music to go with them.

Syndicate was another, that ominous music to go with that impressive looking animation of a huge, intimidating future city.

Oh and who could forget the Fallout intro!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

dawn of war is one of the best intros i ever have seen a game.

crusader no remorse had a well dacent intro
    as well

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Quake 2 intro on pc - one of my favourite intro's of all time.

Streetfighter 2 Arcade - the one with Ryu modeled huge and he unleashes his fireball

Starfox SNES - where you see your ships take off into the 1st level, great music too

Half Life PC - fantastic intro using the train

Unreal PC - the amazing graphical intro of where you saw the castle spin around, first time to see proper reflection reflects and stuff like that using a 3d card.

Gonzo wrote:
    Streetfighter 2 Arcade - the one with Ryu modeled huge and he unleashes his fireball
    Yeah I was actually going to mention that one aswell... Super Street Fighter 2 ... I love that intro for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

System Shock

Intimidated the Hell out of me, it just seemed so methodical and unstoppable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Half Life 1 and 2 - both blew me away when I played them. Especially number 2. After spending the best part of four hours trying to register the thing on Steam (lousy busy launch day) I just got to play the intro before hitting the hay. That bit where you walk up to the door, peak in, and the guard closes the shutter on you sent sent shivers down my spine.

MGS2 - Great movie style montage / trailer before the title screen. This makes the list mainly because the music is so damn cool.

Resident Evil 4 - Before you even have a chance to learn the controls, you are thrown into the most breathtaking siege situation ever committed to disc. Mind you, the opening cinematic is completely rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Broken Sword 1: It starts off with a blank screen, and George Stobbart, the protagonist narrating: "Paris in the fall, the last months of the year, at the end of the millenium. The city holds many memories for me, of cafés, of music, of love, and of death."

Then the developer and publisher logos pop-up. We see a gargoyle sitting on top of a Parisian church from the perspective of a crow. The game logo appears on the screen in the centre of this. The crow then blinks and we watch it fly off and over the city while the initial credits roll.

We cut back to the crow, landing near a café on some back street. The waitress puts a coffee down infront of George who is sitting outside the café. He watches as the waitress bumps into another man in an overcoat. They head into the café.

All of a sudden, George is surrounded by balloons. He pops one and a clown appears with an accordion. The clown goes inside, swaps the accordion for the briefcase on the chair next to the guy in the overcoat, and runs back outside and down an alleyway.

We cut back to the accordion, which is slowly collapsing on itself. There's a flashing light coming from it, and it's beeping rapidly. The guy in the overcoat looks down at it, but it's too late.

An explosion rips through the café and we see it exploding through the front of the café, knocking George over and covering him in debris. He's knocked out temporarily, but survives.

"As I picked myself up all I could hear was a ceaseless drone of traffic. Life went on around me, but the explosion was to change my life forever..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Father_Ted

steviec wrote:

Another was Gran Turismo - the collage of actual in-game replay footage looked stunning at the time, and the remix of 'Everything Must Go' that went with it was fantastic. All of the GT games have continued that trend of stunning visuals and excellently chosen music to go with them.

I remember playing Gran Turismo for the first time, the intro blew me away. Was that good that I would load it up just to show it off to other people. That to me at the time was truely next gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

steviec wrote:

I second that, no pussyfooting about, straight to the jugular with the dramatic orchestral choir! :D

The original Half-Life had a great into too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I always loved the Suikoden 2 credit sequence after the prologue. I shows the three main characters growing up before the war that would ruin their lives.

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=823C6UWOo6w

It's hard watch this after beating the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

MGS2 - Great movie style montage / trailer before the title screen. This makes the list mainly because the music is so damn cool.
    Definitely... most of the scene setting parts were amazing, all those pre-release video's and jumping off the bridge etc. With MGS1 i watched all those little 'video' clips that take part just before the game and i went through the entire game with a greater feeling for all chaacters involved.
    Retr0gamer wrote:
    I always loved the Suikoden 2 credit sequence after the prologue. I shows the three main characters growing up before the war that would ruin their lives.
    ;_;

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The intro to Vagrant story was brilliant. The music was great and many parts of it were fully playable. I'm amazed the PS1 pulled it off.

It's very long so split into 3 parts here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chO8hTZylA8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCYtvZ_ADUc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf87A4_VqY0

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The Attract Mode intro to Virtua Fighter 4 -- it was the moment VF became cooler than Tekken (4)! :D Just hearing all those whip-lashing & bone-crunching noises... FVCK YEAH LEMME AT 'EM!! :D

Too bad VF4:Evolution's intro sucked ass... at least VF5's intro seems to be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

The intro from the c64 game last ninja 2 an amazing intro for the system and an amazing game too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

I always liked the soulcalibur 2 intro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Wind Waker, and Secret of Mana, just for the music :)

And Half-Life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

How could anybody not mention possibly the greatest video game intro ever made??? Streets Of Rage....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LiSfOOJlVgs

DarkJager wrote:
    How could anybody not mention possibly the greatest video game intro ever made??? Streets Of Rage....
    Meh, I used to skip that intro... too much reading involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Battlefield 1942 for the music and bf2 for the intro. Have watched both a lot of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

MGS2 wins it for me. sets the tone of the game very well...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Broken Sword 1: It starts off with a blank screen, and George Stobbart, the protagonist narrating: "Paris in the fall, the last months of the year, at the end of the millenium. The city holds many memories for me, of cafés, of music, of love, and of death."...

After playing Rainbow Six for most of the Christmas, remembering that intro makes me want an adventure game

Think I might buy these...

http://www.play.com/Games/PC/GENBRW/3-/917970/Broken_Sword_The_Angel_Of_Death/Product.html
    http://www.play.com/Games/PC/GENBRW/3-/905023/Adventure_Games_Collection/Product.html
    http://play.com/Games/PC/4-/646781/-/Product.html?searchstring=Secret+Files+Tunguska&searchsource=0#jump-review

Advertisement