Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The most memorable game intro's

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

BS4 is good monument. Not as good as BS1, but better than BS3 IMO. It can be a bit hit and miss with the controls sometimes, but the story is good and worth the €15 if you've followed the series.

I've heard good things about Secret Files: Tunguska and Black Mirror, bad things about The Watchmaker and nothing about Journey To The Centre Of The Earth :)

Runaway 2 is out in 2 months if you've played the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭BKtje

Intro to HalfLife is good
    That was definately a very original intro to a game and it was memorable but for me, it was memorable for the wrong reasons. I always got bored just sitting there on a train :p

For me its probably the intro to Unreal Tournament. Was the first FPS i'd ever bought and had no idea what to expect from the game (a m8 had told me to OMG BUY THIS GAME and i did, didnt even look at the back of the box). Was about 16 at the time and the intro just had me gaping. Watched it so often that i memorised the entire voiceover,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Has to be Sonic Adventure on the DC. I was blown away by it whne I switched it on. Another would be the Revenge of Shinobi on the Megadrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Kristok wrote:
    The intro from the c64 game last ninja 2 an amazing intro for the system and an amazing game too.

Got there before me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Total annihilation anyone? great intro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

f.e.a.r.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

"Magic carpet" pretty much sold based on the intro alone. Saying that the very best on in recent times was of course dawn of war. Though the newest warhammer: mark of chaos one beats even that. Bloody amazing. Wish the game was any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

If I had to pick 3 :) it would have to be the aforementioned FF8, Vagrant Story and Sons of Liberty for their sheer awesomeness. The direction backed up by fantastic scores make for superb intros from all 3.
    monument wrote:
    Ooooh, excellent finds.

I've recently finished Dreamfall, and have caught the adventure bug again :D

/ordered

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Benster

I haven't seen any game intros that I'd watch again except the recent Warhammer games - "Dawn Of War" and "Mark of Chaos". They capture the genre perfectly, imo.

DoW:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxS1aXYcNNc

MoC:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl6v552xk4E

Enjoy...

B.

PS - What about those "intros" from the Spectrum days? As the game loaded from tape for 10 mins, an image of the game was gradually built up on screen, in a fantastic 16 colours (or was it 8? :eek: )
    Favourites there were Alchemist, Dynamite Dan and Uridium.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

CnC TD
    CnC TS
    CnC RA

where all good intros aswel as total annilation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I think the best intros are ones that really put you in the mood to play the game. Aswell as being just plain gorgeous. And never under estimate music. My favs:

-Freespace 2.
    -Total Annihilation (I usually watched this every time I played the game just because it was so good.)
    -Rome Total War. (I never did manage to create a battle that captured the same feel.)

I'm sure there's loads more that I'm just not thinking of. *checks game drawer*

I can't believe I forgot Homeworld. Gorgeous, moving intro video that really sets the scene for the rest of the game. I enjoyed playing that game so much more because of what I understood about the background. And it made that incident at the start all the more heartbreaking.

I can't remember if there was a decent intro for FFVII but it definately had some great videos during the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Half life- Might have been boring, but it immersed you into the game. At least while wondering through 5 hours of tunnels you have a fair idea of why you havn't hit the surface yet.

Dawn of War- So very sweet, short but sweet. Like candy. Candy to my heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

MGS 2, Silent Hill 2 and Resident Evil

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think the intro for FFVI was excellent. Far better than the glorified music video that past for an intro for FFVIII. The mechs stomping through the snow towards the village with Terra's theme playing was beautiful and haunting.

Resident Evil 2 had an excellent intro as well. The CGI looks dated but it's well directed.

Little known RPG Koudelka had a wonderful intro. The CGI still looks excellent and the fact that koudelka is a babe certainly helps :) Now if only I could find an emulator or something that would let me continue onto disc 2.

Panzer Dragon Saga intro was very well made despite the CGI looking awful. It lasted nearly 20 minutes and really set the game up and provided a lot of background about the panzer dragoon world that was previously missing. It was completely done in a fictional language created specifically for the game series.

And who can forget the intro to Shadow of the Colossus. The music was wonderful and it was very haunting. Some wonderful acting and writing as well. I love it when Dormin tells wanderer that there will be consequences to his actions and he replies 'I don't care'. Sends a shiver down the spine. It was also all done in a fictional language.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Father_Ted

Just started playing Neverwinter Nights 2 in the last week or so and the intro battle with the Warlock is pretty special..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Quake 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SVVKQlwTUk

Red Alert http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85tMFIA6Dy0

FF7

HL1.

Funny looking at the Streets of Rage intro there, I loved that as a kid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That Quake 2 intro was laughable when the game was released and it's even worse now. Never liked Quake 2, overrated turd with an awful single player. It might have been technically impressive but looked awful, way too much coloured lighting If the edge wasn't the best multiplayer map ever made then it would have been devoid of merit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I was going to mention Homeworld if nobody else got to it. Dawn of War has also been mentioned.

I find that "Railroads" has actually a fun intro. If you happen to like model trains, which I do. Really brings out the kid in you.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgsckUP-mNQ
    Actually, most of the train ones are pretty good. Railroad Tycoon 3's intro is damned good too, can't find a youtube of it though.

Pacific Storm has a good one too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X70TwDM4VoU

The games I play tend not to worry too much about an intro though.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

RA2,DoW,TA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Darnell13

Trilla wrote:
    MGS 2, Silent Hill 2 and Resident Evil

Yep, Resi one for me. The STARS team running around in black and white with the dogs an all. And then straight from that mayhem into a big ol creaky empty mansion. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Ha... thinking about this more the Amiga was really the golden age of great intros.

Yeah, as I was thinking about games to post on this thread Amiga titles kept coming to the front of my mind.

Chaos Engine has already been mentioned and is worthy mentioning again. The pounding music and crying siren really set the scene for the game. Pressing start is almost irresistible.

The Bitmap Brothers did more amazing work on Speedball 2. The music and background story again getting you in the mood to play and setting the scene perfectly.

Shadow of the Beast 2 had an amazing and imaginative animation sequence to kick things off and really took my breath away when I first saw it.

Streets of Rage is, from start to finish, a game enhanced by an amazing soundtrack. The intro is no exception.

Seeing as we seem to be including title screens in this I must mention Super Mario Bros 3. An entertaining little sequence that captures the attention.

I could probably go on all day but those are the ones that spring immediately to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

54 posts and not a mention of Dungeon Keeper - the best intro EVER!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBuNfrOB7II

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Fahrenheit was the best for me. Just the gliding bird flying towards New York and then everything looks peaceful until it stops at the window of a dingy toilets and some unpleasantness unfurls (as it does in most toilets! :D )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLtVqVNjdx8

It set up the whole mood of the game nicely. Definitely one of my favourite games ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,961 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

another world on the megadrive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j4gO9sR7zs

Totally blew me away. ah, good days!

Or how about Red Zone

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hwZErWZXRh0

Megadrive fmv?! I couldnt believe my eyes

Red zone really did push the megadrive harder than any other game, even Gunstar Heroes. Looks like it should be on the Snes.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,961 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I know. And yet it did quite badly. Hmmm. I'll put that down to odd gameplay.

Strange piece of information. On the back of my RedZone box, it says "Made In Ireland". Only time I've ever seen that on a Sega game.

I think the sega changed manufacturers for europe to ireland near the end of the Megadrives life. Most european Saturn games are made in ireland as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Darnell13 wrote:
    Yep, Resi one for me. The STARS team running around in black and white with the dogs an all. And then straight from that mayhem into a big ol creaky empty mansion. Brilliant.
    ah come on!
    that was an utterly abysmal intro, the acting was hammier than my crimbo dinner!

Advertisement