Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

maintence payments

Options
  • 31-12-2006 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Hi im new to this was wondering if you guys could help with a question i have about maintence for my son he lives with his mother and i was wondering if anyone had an idea how much i should be paying each month i earn about 420 a week

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 kevinp

hi

€300 to €350 is about average if you only have access, if it is joint custody you are not required to pay anything if both of you share the bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

wexford12 the best was to do this is to if you are on speaking terms with the other parent is figure out the cost of the child.
    That is what it take sto keep a child over the year and then divide it by 52 and try and give as close to that as you can.

IF you have your son for even 1 over night a year in your home you can apply for single parents tax free alloanace which will help.

You can do this with the hlp of a mediator who will assess all the finances and help you come to an agreement.

http://www.aimfamilyservices.ie/publications/mediat.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

"if it is joint custody you are not required to pay anything if both of you share the bills."

This is incorrect. All parents are obliged to maintain their children.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dors1976

Average is usually between €50-€75 a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Kildrought wrote:
    "if it is joint custody you are not required to pay anything if both of you share the bills."

This is incorrect. All parents are obliged to maintain their children.
    If they have joint custody they are maintaining them. Maintenance payments are to deal with the financial burden of doing so if only one has custody or if the custody arrangements mean one parent is dealing with the majority of the child(ren)'s finances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

Where parents were married, joint custody of the children is the normal order on foot of a Judicial Separation. Where separation is by legal agreement, the same situation tends to pertain. Sole custody is not usual (though it does happen) and is generally only awarded where one parent is proven to be unfit to have the primary care of the children.

It is recognised that a school-going children will reside for most of the time with one parent only and that parent becomes the child's primary carer. That being the case child maintenance is payable by the non-resident parent to the primary carer.

As I have already stated, all parents are legally obliged to maintain their children - it has nothing to do with custody.

Averages aren't really helpful as maintenance is based on both parents income and expenditure. The maximum however that can be awarded in the district court is €150 per week per child.

Advertisement