Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Keeper In Premiership

• 31-12-2006 1:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering peoples thoughts on who they think is the best all round keeper in the Premiership at this moment, the one they would have in their team.
    My favourite would be Given (bias i know) but he is just a class act.
    Do people think that Given would be Englands No 1 if English ?
    Why would people have that certain keeper in that team ? I would have Given because along with him being an excellent all round keeper he can often just win a match on his own.

The Best Keeper in Premiership? 137 votes

James
    0% 0 votes
    Cech
    3% 5 votes
    Given
    31% 43 votes
    Friedel
    37% 52 votes
    Lehmann
    6% 9 votes
    Van der Sar
    2% 4 votes
    Kirkland
    8% 12 votes
    Jaaskelainen
    0% 0 votes
    Robinson
    6% 9 votes
    Other
    2% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Just to beat the crowd I'm going for Phil Jagielka. :)

f he's playing outfield, then Cech. I feel given a few weak oint that can concede goals. Cech hasnt really shown weakness yet (bar a glass jaw maybe :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Given tbh , put Cech in goal for Newcastle and see how good he is, same argument for best keeper in the world. Cech makes one great save a game to win the game Given makes ten and still loses 4-0.

Same with Casillias stick him behind the chelsea fit defence and im sure there be a lot of clean sheets.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Cech is the most obvious choice and i cant realy argue against it but i would like to see him play behind a poor defence and how he would cope. I know i am totaly biased with Given but i cant help it, also think Kirkland is a excellent keeper
    I used to think Robinson was the best keeper ever after he took over from Martyn but he has been a bit inconsistent of late

Honourable mention to Carson. Legend this season fo Charlton.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

I'd go for Cech. Ye gotta base it on consistency and lack of mistakes when it comes to keepers. Given second and maybe Friedel third. Robinson is probably one of the worst in the Prem imo...especially on current form.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Every keeper does his job within the context of the defence in front of him so its very hard to make an objective assessment. If clean sheets meant anything then Reina would be number 1.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

put a good defence in front of Given and he would be the best in the Premiership without doubt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Considering the clowns he has had in front of him over the years at Newcastle and with Ireland, Given gets my vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Savman wrote:
    Considering the clowns he has had in front of him over the years at Newcastle and with Ireland, Given gets my vote.

aye

Come on...Who voted for James....Come out and let us see you..:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

...because who exactly has been better than james this season? very few.

based on clean sheets reina

in any other measurable way, lehmann

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

el rabitos wrote:

Lehmann hasn't had a great season thus far, especially when compared with last season.

el rabitos wrote:

I was only joking, your entitled to your view but to have James in goals for the season?? Too many simple mistakes in my opinion, once he has the smallest dip in confidence he is just a disaster waiting to happen. He can be excellent but somedays he is on a different planet with some dodgy decision making and mistakes. He has been excellent so far though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I did.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

KdjaCL wrote:
    Given tbh , put Cech in goal for Newcastle and see how good he is, same argument for best keeper in the world. Cech makes one great save a game to win the game Given makes ten and still loses 4-0.

Same with Casillias stick him behind the chelsea fit defence and im sure there be a lot of clean sheets.

kdjac

Thats my thinking on this too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

While I accept the idea that some keepers at bigger clubs aren't challenged as much, I still think Cech is the best keeper in the premiership, behidn Buffon as 2nd best in the world and Casillas as best in the World.

I do however think Given is probably the 2nd best keeper in the premiership, maybe 3rd behind VDS, however, while he is a very very very very good shot stopper, he has terrible command over his area. Yes the Newcastle defense is utter ****e, but he as a keeper has to take responsibility for that on some level. The effect say the great dane had on defenses was there for all to see, and that's something Given doesn't have, while VDS and Cech do.

People forgot the amazing saves that Cech makes, and while he only makes one of them a match, he makes them very consistantly. Given has more chances to prove himself, and I'm not sure he's shown that he has the ability to make one major save in a game where he only has to do it once, and maintain total concentration. I feel that's the reason why no big club have ever made a move for him, combined with his lack of control over the area.
    That said, what a legend :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Isaksson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Given by a absolute mile!
    If it wasn't for Buffon, Shay would be the best keeper in the world.

Given by a absolute mile!

Even if it was given , it'd be by a very small margin.

Where people get this idea that Given is unbeatable is beyond me (well, it's not, it's because he's Irish.). He's a top notch shot stopper, nothing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

At the moment.. or up to a few weeks ago... James was the most consistent and spectacular keeper out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Stekelly wrote:
    Even if it was given , it'd be by a very small margin.

Where people get this idea that Given is unbeatable is beyond me (well, it's not, it's because he's Irish.). He's a top notch shot stopper, nothing more.
    I don't know. Artur Boruc is a world class shot stopper and rated really highly by Celtic fans, Polish fans and most fans. I rate him really highly too but he's nowhere near as good as Given. Boruc struggles at catching crosses and decision making. Given is probably the best keeper in the premiership at catching crosses. In fact, he only dropped one cross in the entire of last season. He's also a great leader and Ireland and Newcastle are better teams with him in goal.

I definitely don't think there's anyone better than him in the premiership but I wouldn't go as far as to say he's better than Cech. It's much too tough to say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Cech would get my vote, if he was still playing this season. While Hilario has done better than expected for Chelsea, he's obviously no Cech.

Given has been playing very well this season, also. If he was playing at, say Man United, (with a bettre defence) he would be classed as the top keeper in England at the moment.

Brad Friedal has also been playing well this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Cech, comfortably. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I'd have to say Cech, too. His performances last season were about as good as it gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

eirebhoy wrote:
    Given is probably the best keeper in the premiership at catching crosses. In fact, he only dropped one cross in the entire of last season.

Is this the same Given that has a tendancy to punch crosses away when they come in rather than catch them?

The_B_Man wrote:
    Is this the same Given that has a tendancy to punch crosses away when they come in rather than catch them?
    Don't know about that, Buffon punches a lot. Here's the stats from last season, Lehmann clearly comes out more than anyone.
    [B]Prem 2005/06 	Given 	Cech 	Reina 	Lehmann	Robinson[/B]
    [B]Catches[/B] 	47 	52 	31 	93 	33
    [B]Success Rate %[/B] 	98% 	95% 	86% 	94% 	89%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Shay Given or Ben Foster.

I say this because most keepers are made to look good because they have strong defences in front of them ie. Victor Valdes of Barcelona. But the 2 I have mentioned are absolute quality because they have woeful defences in front of them and usually have to come to the rescue. Even Given does it for Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

United fan mentions Foster, Liverpool fans mention Reina and Carson... :D

For me its a dead heat between Given and Cech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

nipplenuts wrote:
    Isaksson.

Ha ha good call. In fairnees we haven't seen too much of him yet but that save from Rooney in the Derby was sensational. He was Cech's replacement at Rennes and plays in a similar style.

I decided to go for Jaaskelainen though. Like Given, he has been sensational at an average club for a good few years now. I don't think he gets the recognition he deserves and is well capable of playing for one of the top teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

i chose other: Yore Ma!

ah no, Cech.

them scouts know more than me. sure 'tis their jobs n such. chelski are leakin without him. thats not based on anything like. obviously its 110% down to terry contractin leprosy and the like. obviously loike!

andyman wrote:
    Shay Given or Ben Foster.

I say this because most keepers are made to look good because they have strong defences in front of them ie. Victor Valdes of Barcelona. But the 2 I have mentioned are absolute quality because they have woeful defences in front of them and usually have to come to the rescue. Even Given does it for Ireland

If thats the criteria then you cant look past Carson. He's been the difference between Charlton being beaten and being hammered a good few times this season. He's constantly under pressure in games yet is still playing out of his skin..

Anyway, is this a keeper of the season or best keeper full stop?

Either way i went for Cech anyway.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Shay Given, Paddy Kenny, Graham Stack. In that order!

Shay Given, Paddy Kenny, Graham Stack. In that order!

No Dean Kiely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There's a limit to the "Paddy-Keeper" credibility! ;)

Mike.

Stekelly wrote:
    No Dean Kiely?
    Why would I include him? He's shoite.
    mike65 wrote:
    There's a limit to the "Paddy-Keeper" credibility! ;)

Mike.
    High five!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Stekelly wrote:
    If thats the criteria then you cant look past Carson. He's been the difference between Charlton being beaten and being hammered a good few times this season. He's constantly under pressure in games yet is still playing out of his skin..

Anyway, is this a keeper of the season or best keeper full stop?

Either way i went for Cech anyway.
    Touche, forgot about Carson.

Well you can't really accuse us of voting for Given purely on bias since he was voted the premiership's best last season. A non-Irish poll would probably be a lot different but they don't get to see Given put in motm performances in every game for Ireland.

In fairness though international form cant really be counted in a premiership thread. Not all the keepers are international golakeepers, some through no fault of their own, so the only way to fairly judge is on league form.
    I mean England could have 4 world class goalkeepers but only one can play each match (now that sven is gone :) ) but that doesn take away from the ability of the other 3.

Stekelly wrote:
    In fairness though international form cant really be counted in a premiership thread. Not all the keepers are international golakeepers, some through no fault of their own, so the only way to fairly judge is on league form.
    I mean England could have 4 world class goalkeepers but only one can play each match (now that sven is gone :) ) but that doesn take away from the ability of the other 3.
    It's a poll about the best keeper in the premiership, not current form afaik. We see a lot more of Given then the average English fan would. We see a lot more of van der Sar since he joined Man Utd too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I voted Cech as well.

I think the standard of goal keeping in the last few years hasnt been as high as in the past,although the constant"developement" of the ball may have alot to do with that.

Schmeichel was the last great goal keeper to play the game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

How can Van Der Sar not be number 1 in the premiership he has let in the least amount of goals and has made some fantastic saves this season he was voted world number one in his younger days! It is just Irish people voting for Shay Given granted he is a good goalkeeper, he is not in Van Der Sars League! and if Van Der Sar was a few years younger no one could match him.

chiller wrote:
    How can Van Der Sar not be number 1 in the premiership he has let in the least amount of goals and has made some fantastic saves this season he was voted world number one in his younger days! It is just Irish people voting for Shay Given granted he is a good goalkeeper, he is not in Van Der Sars League! and if Van Der Sar was a few years younger no one could match him.
    And if van der Sar was still at Fulham you'd be voting for him? It's not just the Irish. I'm sure half the Arsenal team voted for him too in the PFA awards.

Yeah, I don't recall too many people saying VDS was the best when he was at Fulham. He's no better now than he was then either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

chiller wrote:
    if Van Der Sar was a few years younger no one could match him.

But he's not, so..... I agree he was one of the top keepers seven-eight years ago, but not now. I still say Isaksson is best. Consider what he has playing in front of him compared with, say, VDS.

Was Isaksson VDS's understudy at Juventus? I seem to recall they were both there together.

chiller wrote:

Is Reina not the best cos Liverpool had 30 odd clen sheets last season then? A goalkeeper could concede 70 goals in a season and still be the best. Theres a certain amount of things a goalkepper can do nothing about, it's up to the defence to minimise those, the rest is the making (or breaking) of the keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Surprise surprise, I voted for Given and i'm not being biased. He has been so consistent playing behind (what for me is) an extremely dodgy defence for the past few years. Would Cech look so good if the Cheksea defence wasn't so good (up until recently)? Lehmann is too easily distracted for me while Foster is one to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Some of the bias in here is shocking.

Anyway for me the top keepers in the EPL are Reina, Carson, Kirkland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

PHB wrote:
    While I accept the idea that some keepers at bigger clubs aren't challenged as much, I still think Cech is the best keeper in the premiership, behidn Buffon as 2nd best in the world and Casillas as best in the World.

I do however think Given is probably the 2nd best keeper in the premiership, maybe 3rd behind VDS, however, while he is a very very very very good shot stopper, he has terrible command over his area. Yes the Newcastle defense is utter ****e, but he as a keeper has to take responsibility for that on some level. The effect say the great dane had on defenses was there for all to see, and that's something Given doesn't have, while VDS and Cech do.

People forgot the amazing saves that Cech makes, and while he only makes one of them a match, he makes them very consistantly. Given has more chances to prove himself, and I'm not sure he's shown that he has the ability to make one major save in a game where he only has to do it once, and maintain total concentration. I feel that's the reason why no big club have ever made a move for him, combined with his lack of control over the area.
    That said, what a legend :P

I don't agree with your comment on Given, when he was injured and harper had to stand in, our defense were all over the place (more than usual) when given came back the defense was vastly improved ( i think most newcastle fans would agree with me here). I believe he spreads confidence to the 4 men in front of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Greeno :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement