Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BEST Picture Quality out of my 360 HELP!

• 31-12-2006 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

How would I get the best picture quality out of my 360?
    I got a phillips 21' CRT Widescreen.

- Red, Yellow, White sockets to the side (and not red,green,blue)
    (Channel -AV)
    - 2 SCART sockets to the back.
    (Channels EXT1, EXT2 respectively)

Currently I have my 360 hooked up via the Red, Yellow, White sockets - two of them seem to be for sound, and one of them for the video.
    I didn't notice any problems when I played Gears of War, but when I tried playing Pro evolution Soccer 6, the colour wasn't as clear as it could be (grey looking) and the letters seem to be in a box or something. Like below.
    Not as bad as it looks below but enough to make it hard to read. Writings are blurred too - hurts the eyes !:mad:

i.e ----
    ! 6 ! What the letter 6 would look like at the right bottom of the
    screen on the main menu.

Is this a problem all 360 users/ PES6 users have? And if it's not could you recommend me what/where to connect the cable so that I can effortlessly read the writings on PES6?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Do you have a decent PC monitor you could use? I have mine hooked up to a 17" LCD with the VGA cable, but I have a new 20" widescreen one coming from Komplett next week :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭In IRL

the TV is only like a year old but came with the apartment so not the best quality ever. it's this CRT flatscreen 21' philips 16:9 widescreen maybe 16inches thick - cost about 400 i'd say? need more details?

no, I don't have an LCD monitor that I can hook up with :mad: i wish i had the money to buy one though. if i'm only going to use an LCD for gaming and not for TV use - how much would I need to spend - big enough size to play split screen 2/4 players. for example 2player GoW or 4player Halo or PES? I like to play maybe 6-8 feet away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

SCART EXT1 should be RGB and will probably give you the best picture quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Makaveli wrote:
    SCART EXT1 should be RGB and will probably give you the best picture quality.
    Only if he buys a RGB cable, should give you a clearer image and better colours.

• Advertisement

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Only if he buys a RGB cable, should give you a clearer image and better colours.

doesn't that stand for Red Green Blue?
    I have that cable that came with the xbox. I thought that was used for HD mode..
    Does it work for through scart, too?

What kind of cable should I get? Does it come officially from microsoft as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

In IRL wrote:
    the TV is only like a year old but came with the apartment so not the best quality ever. it's this CRT flatscreen 21' philips 16:9 widescreen maybe 16inches thick - cost about 400 i'd say? need more details?

no, I don't have an LCD monitor that I can hook up with :mad: i wish i had the money to buy one though. if i'm only going to use an LCD for gaming and not for TV use - how much would I need to spend - big enough size to play split screen 2/4 players. for example 2player GoW or 4player Halo or PES? I like to play maybe 6-8 feet away

You can hook it up to a CRT pc monitor too.

In IRL wrote:
    doesn't that stand for Red Green Blue?
    I have that cable that came with the xbox. I thought that was used for HD mode..
    Does it work for through scart, too?

What kind of cable should I get? Does it come officially from microsoft as well?
    The cable that comes with a 360 is a component cable, what I meant was a RGB Scart cable. Microsoft have an official RGB Scart cable.

so are you suggesting I get the official RGB cable?

what hole would that go into? would it work even though my tv is just a regular SD CRT TV and not an LCD/HDTV?

Yep, scart and yep.

• Advertisement

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Yep, scart and yep.

Ciaran, http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/2/24pw6518_05/24pw6518_05_pss_eng.pdf

this is my tv model and it says that EXT1 has RGB capability, CVBS
    EXT2 has S-Video in, CVBS
    I think CVBS stands for component, which is lower quality than RGB, S-Video.

and I think RGB is higher quality than S-video but I did some research on this but cannot find where to get them in Dublin. Where could I try?
    There's a lot of reviews on Xbox360 S-video connectors but found no reviews on RGB SCART connectors. Why do you think that is?

Thank you by the way

RGB > Component (in SD resolutions) > Svideo > Composite > RF

Your TV doesn't have component, CVBS means composite which is the yellow lead on the cable that comes with the 360.

This is the one you want:
    http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/hardware/x/xbox360advancedscartavcable/

Scart is a european only connection and most people will be using a HD connection so reviews aren't going to be that common.

cheers for that Ciaran 500.

I'll go get it sometime this week and let you know how I get on:p

Ciaran500 wrote:
    RGB > Component (in SD resolutions) > Svideo > Composite > RF

Your TV doesn't have component, CVBS means composite which is the yellow lead on the cable that comes with the 360.

This is the one you want:
    http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/hardware/x/xbox360advancedscartavcable/

Scart is a european only connection and most people will be using a HD connection so reviews aren't going to be that common.

Got what you suggested me Ciaran500, looks much better now.

Put it in EXT1.

Thanks for all your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

hi lads,
    I took this advice aswell but I bought a non microsoft RGB Scart cable in Virgin for 14.99 reduced from 24.99. The graphics are better. Especially the white writing in PES and Tiger.

My question is this - Would an Official Microsoft cable be even better than the one I bought ?

Claiva.

Probably not, I've had bad experiences with third party cables before but most of them have been just as good as the real thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

Thanks for that.
    The quality has definitely improved so I think I'm ok.

I'd love a HD TV though..........

Advertisement