Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Traffic Control - "Delta 17 Heavy"

Options
  • 31-12-2006 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

Listening to Air Traffic Control over live web streams and I hear things like "Delta 17 Heavy". What does the heavy mean? That it's full of passengers? Running out of fuel?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ciaranfo wrote:
    Listening to Air Traffic Control over live web streams and I hear things like "Delta 17 Heavy". What does the heavy mean? That it's full of passengers? Running out of fuel?

Thanks.
    AFAIK it means a large bodied plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

The term heavy applies to aircraft that are capable of a takeoff weight of 300,000 lbs or more, examples include B-747, B-767, MD-11 to name a few.
    Interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

So then in English this would read "Don't get in it's way or it'll knock you out of the sky" ?

Cheers :)

p.s. is this the right forum for this sorta thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

ciaranfo wrote:
    p.s. is this the right forum for this sorta thing?
    Well people talk about airports here, but they're usually of the Apple variety. ;)

Are you listening at the moment lads? A craft has declared an emergency (Dublin) at 3000 feet.

• Advertisement

CityJet - 93 on board.

Are you listening at the moment lads? A craft has declared an emergency (Dublin) at 3000 feet.
    Really? Link to the feed?

ciaranfo wrote:
    Really? Link to the feed?
    Listening on scanner. ;)

Listening on scanner. ;)
    Trying to find the DUblin feed on www.liveatc.net but it seems to have disappeared :(

++ edit ++
    It's down is why http://www.liveatc.net/feedindex.php?type=international :(

Dublin Airport Fire Service - "All units stand down"

• Advertisement

Dublin Airport Fire Service - "All units stand down"
    I guess this sorta thing happens all the time... an "emergency" ranges from the wing falling off to the Captain sneezing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Maybe they ran out of bum wipes or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

As somebody else said, this is very common. An emergency is any small malfunction that could become a larger problem.

Airport police stories >> Air Traffic stories.

lafortezza wrote:
    As somebody else said, this is very common. An emergency is any small malfunction that could become a larger problem.
    Yes, I'm not really into ATC, and just stumbled on DAFS frequency while scanning for something else. The pilot issued a 'pan pan' prior to issuing the emergency. I just mentioned it as there was a 'live' thread going at the time.

I'm sure it makes things all the more exciting in ATC :)

What's a "pan pan" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Pan-pan is a declaration of an emergency that does not pose immediate danger to anyone's life or to the vessel itself.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan-pan

Regarding Heavy, as much a case of don't get in it's wake or it'll knock you out of the sky as "don't get in it's way or it'll knock you out of the sky".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake_turbulence

Advertisement