Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Live CD Linux

• 31-12-2006 3:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

I'm not ready to change fully to Linux yet but just wondering what is the best Live CD version of Linux i.e. the ones that boot from a CDROM?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I'd suggest Ubuntu or Knoppix.

Most live CDs now have a shortcut on the desktop for you to commit to disk, including Ubuntu.

It's a great way to see if your hardware will work and to get a feel for it. Just don't forget that performance won't be blisteringly fast as the OS will be running from a CD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I'd also recommend the Ubuntu live cd: http://www.ubuntu.com/products/GetUbuntu Goes on smooth, looks slick and everything works- sweet! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

personally mepis, mp3 support out of the box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Could I buy an external hard drive say 40GB and put UBUNTU onto it and boot from the external hard drive without interfering with Windows XP on the internal Hard Drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

alan4cult wrote:
    Could I buy an external hard drive say 40GB and put UBUNTU onto it and boot from the external hard drive without interfering with Windows XP on the internal Hard Drive?

If your bios supports it, yes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'd say MEPIS, or Knoppix. Or any of the multimedia-oriented LiveCDs with codecs pre-installed. I've found the Ubuntu LiveCD pretty terrible - no automounting of hard drives, bad video detection and no possiblity to change the display settings, no music...

There's a good comparative list here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Khannie wrote:
    If your bios supports it, yes.

What kind of support would it need USB-HHD/USB-ZIP? Or is there any way I could boot it as a HDD like an internal hard drive?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

knoppix - have a look for the poor man's install if you have a FAT32 partition and can spare 1GB you boot into DOS and then load the CD image off the hard drive.

big no-no with knoppix is updating it , as it's tweaked up so much that apt-get will nicely trash lots of stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

If you like ubuntu and want a more windows xp like desktop then get kubuntu. As for live cd's I like Knoppix. There is a Fedora live cd out now which should be worth checking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

im a fan of beatrix linux, small, simple and fast compared to ubuntu and knoppix.

http://www.watsky.net/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Ubuntu for me, but I'm still a novice and haven't used those other ones. Ubuntu does have a lot of help available through it's forums as well if you do have questions.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

ubuntu, then quickly install automatix and your away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

For a lightweight Live CD, I go for Damn Small Linux, 50 megs, based on Debian with Fluxbox as graphical manager. Used it recently to get at a hard drive on an old old machine.

Advertisement