Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Provisional drivers and insurance

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

kearnsr - the main problem isn't creating the new system, I'd say it's more to do with the thousands of provisional drivers out there at the moment who'll cause uproar if they're forced to do it. Then if they give them time to adapt, they're be calls of "one rule for them, one rule for us".

Anyone who's been driving on a provisional license for the last 40 years should be kicked off the road.

And should you not pass the theory test before you go out with an instructor?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

ciaranfo wrote:
    kearnsr - the main problem isn't creating the new system, I'd say it's more to do with the thousands of provisional drivers out there at the moment who'll cause uproar if they're forced to do it. Then if they give them time to adapt, they're be calls of "one rule for them, one rule for us".

Anyone who's been driving on a provisional license for the last 40 years should be kicked off the road.

And should you not pass the theory test before you go out with an instructor?

You wouldnt be on the road with the instuctor. During transition year we got driving lessons for a couple of weeks in the school yard. I think we got a grant and had to pay a couple of quid towards it.

I agree that you have to get more people through the system. Maybe they should start with people who need to drive say like some who needs a car for work.
    Suppose then you have a problem as who needs it or doesnt need it

1. take theory test
    2. get lessons (that must be cheaper than they are now!)
    3. free government funded day out at mondello to get an actual feel for a car and how it handles
    4. more lessons
    5. another theory test
    6. can drive with a qualified driver
    7. get your test (within 4 weeks of requesting it!)
    8. pass your test and go go go!
    9. retests need to be another 4 weeks!

or something ...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

ciaranfo wrote:

7. get your test (within 4 weeks of requesting it!)

A friend of mine move to London to do work experince in college for 3 months. First thing he did was apply for his driving test got and now drives around here after bypassing the irish system

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

In some parts of the country you have to wait over a year for a test, such as Navan with a 60 week (that's right, one year and two months) for a driving test.

The system is for all intents and purposes, non-functional.

• Advertisement

I waited a year and half for mine

kearnsr wrote:
    I waited a year and half for mine
    I waited 14 months I think. I then failed, and now I'm gonna need to wait another year or so ...

ciaranfo wrote:
    I waited 14 months I think. I then failed, and now I'm gonna need to wait another year or so ...

For my first tst I got a letter from work and was waiting 6 months all together. The second time I just waited like normal and it took a long long long time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

How accurate are the waiting times listed on the drivingtest website?

embraer170 wrote:
    How accurate are the waiting times listed on the drivingtest website?
    Hopeless. But they do make it obvious you'll be waiting a long time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I failed my test even though everything went perfectly! Currently I've been waiting well over a year to do my test again. This is not acceptable.

I'm not saying there aren't provisional license holders out there who simply can't be bothered -- there are -- but in my case it isn't my fault: I've been ready for my test for a long, long time, yet I'm being forced to wait by an inadequate system. My current license does allow me to drive alone, though. Still, it puts me at a disadvantage, because I cannot rent a car in Spain (for example). I know a lot of people are in the same boat as me.

It's farcical at this stage: the government keeps making promises about putting the system in order, yet here we are years later...

How did you fail if everything went perfectly? I'd argue I didn't deserve to fail either, but the bottom line is I didn't fufil the test requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Without boring you with individual details, basically I was overjoyed with how the test went, but the tester ticked two or three to many yellow boxes. I thought I had passed easily. Neither I nor he could recall where I would have made these "mistakes". I've put it down to him not liking me for whatever reason.

I'm not going to complain as there's no point, nor do I feel being done wrong by him personally: after all, it's the entire system that needs to be fixed here, not just one person.

What's also a joke is that many provisional license holders apply for their tests, yet do not bother showing up. Even something as straightforward as only allowing you to renew your license when you've actually attempted the test would be a beginning. And perhaps a new rules of the road book while they're at it? The list is long, but I can't help but think there are some things that could be addressed without all that much effort. Oh, and mandatory driving lessons with a registered driving instructor after you've done your theory test, and before you get your first provisional license. I took driving lessons; it's not right that you can simply pass your theory test and drive away without having had a single practical driving lesson. At the very least, they could have a system where your parents can still teach you, but first you must take 5 hours (that's the very minimum methinks) with a registered driving instructor. It'd be a huge improvement on what we have now. Sorry, I'm rambling.

1. Apply for theory test, waiting list no longer than 1 week.
    2. If passed, you must take a minimum of 10 hours of driving lessons with a registered driving instructor. After this, you are issued with your provisional license. You may either take lessons with a fully licensed driver, or a registered driving instructor.
    3. When you are ready for your test, waiting list no longer than 2 weeks. If you fail, repeat the test in 1 week. If you fail 3 times, you lose your provisional license and must take a minimum of 10 hours of driving lessons with a registered driving instructor again before you are allowed to repeat the test.

Something like that... Maybe a bit simpler (sounds a bit complicated).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

What I think should be is something like what happens in many states in the U.S. such as Connecticut for example:

1: If you are under 18, you must first apply for a learner's permit. It entitles you to drive with supervision, and is strictly enforced.
    2: You apply for a Driving License. You are subject to 3 tests.
    A) An eysisht exam
    B) A Law Test (self explanitoy, a test of your knowledge of road laws)
    C) An on-road test, scheduled at a "mutually conveniant time" i.e. with mininmal delay.
    D) If you fail any portion of the test, you must wait 30 days to repeat that part of the test, or 60 days if you've failed that test or another portion before. (After all, you wouldn't want someone taking driving tests every week :D ).

I don't see what enforcing minimum driving lessons is going to do - you can't pass your test unless you know how to drive properly, the main problems with road safety are with risk taking behaviour.

If people who don't know how to drive right are passing driving tests, then there's a problem with the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

SeanW wrote:
    the main problems with road safety are with risk taking behaviour.

That the point I would make... .they can make the test as hard and long as then want ,but if people want to play "chicken" at 5am on a country road then people will still die....

Advertisement