Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer wont boot up - Updated

Options
  • 31-12-2006 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭

I just installed a program off my asus cd which overclocks the CPU. Out of
    curiosity I gave it a go. After hitting apply the thing freezed my PC.

I shut down the PC manually with the power button then tried to boot it back
    up again. The PC powers on, fans are all going, CD makes some noises and the
    harddrive light on the front of the case is on but it does not boot up. I cant see
    anything at all on the monitor. It just stays in stand by mode.

Ive had this problem about a year ago with a PC. It was when put the CPU settings
    up way too high and it wouldnt boot up until I cleared CMOS.

But the CMOS on my Asus A8N SLi Premium wont clear.

I unplugged everything from it.
    Took out the battery.
    Moved the jumper onto the right pins for a few min.

Put it all back to default and tried to boot it up. But its still the same problem.:(

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Take out the battery, move the pins and power up. Then replace everything. Power needs to go through the circuit to clear the bios.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Oh I didnt know that :)

So I should unplug everything from the PC but the power cable.
    Take out the battery.
    Move the pins.
    Hit the power button.

Then start putting everything back?

No. Just move the pins to reset. Take out the battery. Switch it on. That should clear the cmos. Then put the battery back and the pin to normal.

switch on the PSU or switch on the PSU and the PC?

The PC.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help.

I think I have reset it 10 times over by now.

Not sure what the problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

What is the name of the Asus program you installed?

AI Booster :confused:

Something along those lines..

I found this. Particularly interesting is the cmos reset procedure.

Sir , Please make sure your 4 pin (ATX12V) power connector installed . And you 'd better also install 4 pin EZ-PLUG on the motherboard .

then please take your motherboard and others parts out off the chassis,put motherboard onto a flat desktop,connect everything needed to boot with,then try to power on system ( remove all external device including system harddisk ),will the system powered on and boot up ?

If not ,Please reset CMOS defualt by clearing CMOS:

1. Cut the power supply for the whole system and open your chassis;
    2. Take out the CMOS battery from the battery socket;
    3. Install your battery with "reverse side" that means turn the battery 180 degree and put in into battery socket;
    4. Hold about 30 seconds, then take out the battery and install it normally;
    5. Plug the power cord and Power on .

If still fails , please take all your ram sticks out from motherboard , and power on.Will it give you long-long-long repeat beep warning?
    If so , please clean your ram connectors with alcohol or with a clean rubber then install your ram sticks back, you can firstly install 1 stick of ram into DIMM B1 slot to try .(notice : a8n-sli deluxe don't support register memory , or it will lead to system no power , it could support ecc/non-ecc unbuffered memory).
    If the system can boot with 1 ram stick , add another.

And please check your SLI connector mode . When you install single video card , please install it to single mode . But if you have 2 video card , please install it dual mode .

If still not , please change other pci express video card or a greater PSU to test .

After above steps if the system does not boot , i think maybe your motherboard or CPU is faulty , you need take a future test for each one and make sure on earth which part cause system won't boot.

If it is due to motherboard damaged , please contact your motherboard dealer to repair/replace .

If having any problems, please don't hesitate to let me know. Let's discuss this issue together.
    Sorry for your any inconvenience.
    Welcome to refer FAQ for ASUS products in ASUS website:

http://support.asus.com/faq/faq.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Thank you for using ASUS products and enjoying ASUS services!

Maggie_qian
    ASUS Customer Service Center (Shanghai , China)

• Advertisement

I went through that step by step.

I got down to the part were it mentions removing the RAM and listening for beeps.

I didnt hear any beeps when I removed the RAM and tried to boot up. But I normally
    dont hear any beeps even when its booting up normally :confused:

I read this thread http://www.planetamd64.com/lofiversion/index.php/t21816.html

A few people are having problems similar to mine. I guess its the motherboard?

Advertisement