Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best 22-24" LCD

Options
  • 31-12-2006 4:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

Giving 2007 a serious look at buying a new widescreen 22-24" LCD, let's say money so not a big problem, i like the idea of having built in USB/card reader but not essential.

Quality is more important, a good warranty (3-5 years) and obviously blistering specs, if an LCD is coming out in the next 6 months i'd like to hear about it.

How do the DELL 24" LCD's stack up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭ricka05

I have samsung SyncMaster215tw-21inc widescreen,alittle bit pricy(550E)....,but you get what you paid for.And it has oll extras....

Full review:
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/displays/review/2006/06/26/Samsung-SyncMaster-215TW-21in-Monitor/p1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

ok nearly every 22" has a TN panal so go for the 24" there a whole diffrent league.the dells ment to be great and the benq i think also.have a look on xtreamsystems in the general fourm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Awhir is right. TN is grand for gaming, but once you see one of the 24" panels which use a different tech (MVPA or IPS) you will see they have wider viewing angles, more evenly lit, and are true 16.7 million colour panels and not 16.2 million dithered to 16.7. Very noticeable even in IE browsing.

All the 24" models do 1920x1200. The Dell 2407WFP is best if you want 1:1 scaling, and lots of features - card reader, lots of usb ports, svideo/composite/component inputs. I have once myself and it compares in gaming to the 2ms 19" Viewsonic VX922 I had. So no ghosting.

The BenQ is supposed to be as good but does not support 1:1 scaling in hardware, however it features a HDMI adaptor so it supports 1920x1080 *1080p* with HDCP encryption (useful for next gen HDDVD or Blueray or SonyPS3).

The Dell only supports High Def *1080p with HDCP* through the DVI interface. If you use the component connections and send a 1080P signal down it the scalar in the Dell will output at 720p. So anyone with an Xbox360 plugged in via the component leads is getting 720p even if they have the Xbox output set to 1080i. (*the new dashboard update does allow 1080p via the vga cable though so it's grand*) Same goes for a standalone HDDVD player. You will not be able to use the Dell's component inputs for 1080p. This is the big advantage the BenQ has. It does High Defl through HDMI which is the standard interface for HDDVD players and PS3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Best 20" IMO is NEC 20WGX2 - can't be beat for contrast, colour reproduction & response time but it does come with the glossy display which some folks hate (No HDCP support either).

Best 24" I'd go with the BenQ FP241W or Dell 2407WFP Flaccus outlined the pro's & con's above.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I got http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=325763 just before Xmas, very happy, very good with games etc, 24" was just too big for my desk

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i have 2 24 in dells at work and they are awesome for my CAD/GIS graphic work. Not sure how they are for games tho.

Advertisement