Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea January transfer links

• 31-12-2006 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

So Chelsea have been linked to a number of players in the coming transfer window and god know's they need it,
    There once was a time that when Chelsea went a goal up, th opposing team collapsed in fear and 1-0 it ended, Wheras the current defence is a shambles at least while Terry and Cech is out so surely a defender will be on it's way
    It also remains to be seen wether Mourinho will sign a striker to replace Schevchenko, with some talk of David Villa arriving.

The current chelsea mid-field in my opinion also isn't working, Mourinho's all star mid-field of essien,makelele,lampard and ballack, is just too narrow and defensive, with very little cover now that cole is seemingly out for the year, this only leaves subs of Mikel, the unplayed Diarra and robben

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I have a suspicion Mourinho will just **** it, and say, let's go back to 4-3-3, and buy the players who can make it happen. Beyond that, I can see a high profile verstile defender brought in.

I expect big name wingers bought to be honest, but I'm hoping it doesn't happen, I hope he sticks to the 4-4-2 with 4 central midfielders, cause if he does, I think United will definatly win the Premiership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Passport

speaking of which, he will probably try to get C.Ronaldo just to cause a stir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Talk of Mourinho being interested in Sol Campbell. Once he doesn't ruin another great Southampton left-back I'll be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Talk of Mourinho being interested in Sol Campbell. Once he doesn't ruin another great Southampton left-back I'll be happy.

talk of bale joining united and then being loaned back again for 18 month, in 2 of todays papers. seems rubbish to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

talk of bale joining united and then being loaned back again for 18 month, in 2 of todays papers. seems rubbish to me.

A rubbish story or a rubbish deal?

He's been linked to practically every big Premiership side now, but I think Roeder is the only manager to have actually produced a quote about him. Anyway, Michael Wilde, the Saints chairman has promised a Southampton fan in the pub before the game that Bale isn't going anywhere for 18 months, so that is gospel. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Reckon M Richards will prob join, a striker and a keeper too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Well chelsea's big problem at the moment is our defence. I'd love to know who actually watched Bouhlarouz and decided that this guy could play football! He is woeful and cannot head a ball to save his life. Add to the fact that we do not have a decent right full, at least not when Essien isn't there, and that leaves us with 2 defenders who have no confidence is a league 1 keeper at best. If Carlo was there it wouldn't be as bad but if Cech was there it would be a lot better. Throw terry back in and most of those goals would never have been so Chelsea need defenders and quickly. Sol is a possibility and Richards who I'm led to beleive is a great player seems to be making all the noise at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Interesting on the Sol front, panic buy in my opinion and typical of the arrogant attitude of the media and the big teams. "Campbell is only at Pompey so we can have him if we want".

I am quite pleased with the way Ashley Cole has now become a crap payer. Moving to Chelsea for pure greed and then it all going horribly wrong for him, rotflmao :D

I take it you haven't watched Ashley Cole at all this season? He hasn't been crap. Ok he hasn't been as good as his Arsenal days apart from the odd game (owned ronaldo in ot) but again, give him a little time, Cole will have the last laugh over us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

not sure that I could cope with Campbell there, stomaching Cashley is bad enough , but another gooner would be too much !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

what about Upson?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Upson is solid enough but is he really Chelsea quality ?

I think he's a good player, and at the moment he'd definitely make Chelsea 11. Im not debating whether he's good or not though, thought they were intereted in him?

Upson is average, similar to Huth, Chelsea should never have got ridden of Gallas, although i know in the end it was probably a personal thing. There must surely be better alternatives than Upson?

I wouldnt believe Chelsea were remotely interested unless i saw Mourinho on TV saying it.

sundula wrote:
    Upson is average,

ok Mícheál, if you think so. I think that he's pretty decent, and would rate him more than Huth, Dawson, Wes Brown and the likes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Trilla wrote:
    ok Mícheál, if you think so. I think that he's pretty decent, and would rate him more than Huth, Dawson, Wes Brown and the likes.

I would rate him as well. I saw him at Brum and when he was on loan at Reading and both times he looked the best player on the pitch. I'm kind of hoping we get him, but his injury record worries me a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

iregk wrote:
    I'd love to know who actually watched Bouhlarouz and decided that this guy could play football!
    I'm guessing Mourinho made up his own mind about Bouhlarouz prior to signing him for whatever inflated fee it was he was willing to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

(owned ronaldo in ot)

A lot of people would disagree with that :) Infact, Cole vs. Ronaldo was one of the reasons why I think his form has dipped, because at Arsenal he was able to deal with him a lot better.

I can see some big names being brought in, as I feel Mourinho might have realised by now that his scouts aren't taht good.

I think we really learned a lesson tonight, a lot has too be done, the second string don't frighten anyone anymore, we need some subs to put the fear of god into the other teams, not mikel,Kalou and Wright-Philips, they are the subs Aston Villa would make,
    remember when Chelsea used to wear down the opposing team then bring on robben/duff/cole/crespo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i wouldnt be surprised if no one came in, mourinho doesnt seem interested. I had a feeling this could be his last season in england, so why buy new players?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Call_me_al wrote:
    I had a feeling this could be his last season in england, so why buy new players?
    because that's their solution to everything.

did he just say the situation at the back is bad, with boulahrouz even worse:eek:?

i was only half listening...

Yes, 'cause boulahrouz is injured!
    no central back for next match,none,zero.

He just said he had no interest in buying price-inflated payers, surely that is just mind-games with man city etc.

I think he wants to prove he can do it with his small, squad however.

ah, I get jokes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

not a bad result tonight, but we were shockingly poor in second half, Kalou's form has sipped (he's still young) Milel looked impressive for short spell, SWP was woeful.
    My first choice 3 would be Drogs Cole and Robben, unforunately due to injuries that will not happen.

From the current squad:
    ..............Cech................
    Ferreira...Carv...Terry.....A.Cole
    ..............Makelele..............
    ....Essien...........Lampard
    J.Cole....Drogba.....Robben

What we need are soem subs for that system eg Joaquin,van Persie, David Villa,
    they don't need to be fantastic just able to play that system effectively.
    ////////////////Bring Back Duff////////////////////////

I cannot see one of the most lethal strikers on the planet at the moment David Villa going to Chelsea as a sub! Although I like your optimism Passport.

Only managed to catch the second half last night and my god what a shocker. Neither team looked any more than €10m worth! SWP showed why he ain't in the starting squad, because he is muck. Mikael, well I'm still in the "what does this guy do" camp. When i see him come on I'm still confused as to weather or not its a positive or negative substitution. His technique and touch is quality but I'd like to see more of him. He is only what 18 or so so perhaps its too much too soon to be expecting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Comedy Gold by Mourinho :
    BBC Sport wrote:
    'Just because of the smell that Chelsea needs a central defender, it has people thinking we are stupid," said Mourinho.

The Chelsea manager added: "With the reality of the English market I prefer to play with Brito than pay the crazy money.

"I would love an Aston Martin but if you ask me for £1m for an Aston Martin, I tell you, you are crazy because they cost £250,000."

This from the man who led the revolution that inflated worlwide transfer prices. Classic!

psi wrote:
    This from the man who led the revolution that inflated worlwide transfer prices. Classic!

Really? Could have sworn that Chelsea were paying them long before Mourinho came in.

• Advertisement

It was interesting that Jose said in that interview that selling Gallas left the Club short of cover and that they hadnt time to bring in a replacement because the window closed.
    Well knowing of this shortage of cover and having several months during the closed window to identify a replacement and do some scouting why are they not in a postion to bring someone in ? They dont seem to have any realistic targets in place, i would have imagined that they would have had a deal in place during the closed window but the whole defensive situation seems to have caught him completly off guard.

Not a well prepared as he likes to thinks he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

but of course its not his fault :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Apparently an approach has been made by Chelsea to Man City for Richards. Should be interesting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Why sign a RB when CB is the problem? they have 4 players that can play RB - Ferreira,Geremi,Essien and Boularouz (5 if you count Glen Johnson)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Ye but i suppose he can fit in the CB slot and anyway we havent exactly got the greatest RB in the world....
    Passport wrote:
    From the current squad:
    ..............Cech................
    Ferreira...Carv...Terry.....A.Cole
    ..............Makelele..............
    ....Essien...........Lampard
    J.Cole....Drogba.....Robben

What we need are soem subs for that system eg Joaquin,van Persie, David Villa,
    they don't need to be fantastic just able to play that system effectively.
    ////////////////Bring Back Duff////////////////////////

After seening us play this season Duff will be happy he left...JM doesnt use wingers now....You wont see that formation to often...Last i saw it was against Arsneal for like the last 20 min with Robben and SWP so no room really there for Duffer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

sundula wrote:
    It was interesting that Jose said in that interview that selling Gallas left the Club short of cover and that they hadnt time to bring in a replacement because the window closed.
    Well knowing of this shortage of cover and having several months during the closed window to identify a replacement and do some scouting why are they not in a postion to bring someone in ? They dont seem to have any realistic targets in place, i would have imagined that they would have had a deal in place during the closed window but the whole defensive situation seems to have caught him completly off guard.

Not a well prepared as he likes to thinks he is.
    TheMonster wrote:
    but of course its not his fault :rolleyes:
    He alluded that it was his fault. Cole also moved on the last day so they didn't really have time to bolster the central defensive positions.
    Skysports wrote:
    Mourinho also admitted Chelsea made a mistake in allowing William Gallas to leave the club, as they never really replaced him.

"I take some responsibility (for the defensive problems)," added Mourinho.

"When Gallas had gone, he had gone on the last day and when he goes, we had no time to replace him.

"It was in difficult circumstances and it was the club's responsibility to do it and of course, I am part of the club."
    TheMonster wrote:
    Why sign a RB when CB is the problem? they have 4 players that can play RB - Ferreira,Geremi,Essien and Boularouz (5 if you count Glen Johnson)
    Richards is principally a CB. And of the four RB's you mentioned only one is an out and out RB.

Richards could be a good signing because he is obviously talented and very young. I just don't know if his price tag is justified. I'm sure JM feels the same.

And while Boularouz has been shocking in a few of the game I've seen him I still think he could adjust and turn out to be ok. He missed the most of pre-season where a lot of defensive tactical work would have been done, so he was starting out in competitive games trying to find his feet.

• Advertisement

He alluded that it was his fault. Cole also moved on the last day so they didn't really have time to bolster the central defensive positions.

My point was not that he denied it was his fault but that given the months that proceded he has still to identify Gallas's replacement yet alone make in roads to securing a deal.

If you are aware you are short of cover then I think it would be wise to move fast to identify, scout and secure your man. It is poor football and business sense to do nothing then get caught for cover and have to rush around looking for a replacement when the rest of the football community is now well aware of your situation and only to willing to slap bumped up prices on there players. They should have had this deal done months ago.

sundula wrote:
    My point was not that he denied it was his fault but that given the months that proceded he has still to identify Gallas's replacement yet alone make in roads to securing a deal.

If you are aware you are short of cover then I think it would be wise to move fast to identify, scout and secure your man. It is poor football and business sense to do nothing then get caught for cover and have to rush around looking for a replacement when the rest of the football community is now well aware of your situation and only to willing to slap bumped up prices on there players. They should have had this deal done months ago.
    If you are aware the Cole deal was done at the 11th hour on the eve of the window deadline.

How was Mourinho to know that the deal would actually go through?

Didn't he have three out and out centre-backs in his squad to cover until January? As well as Ferreira/Essien who could fill in there if required.

Boulahrouz has been a let down so far, but if he had been a success, Chelsea would not have had many problems.

If you are aware the Cole deal was done at the 11th hour on the eve of the window deadline.

How was Mourinho to know that the deal would actually go through?

Didn't he have three out and out centre-backs in his squad to cover until January? As well as Ferreira/Essien who could fill in there if required.

Boulahrouz has been a let down so far, but if he had been a success, Chelsea would not have had many problems.

Yes i was aware but thanks.

I never said/suggested that Chelsea could have picked up the phone the second Gallas was gone and got a replacement before the summer window closed. I said that they have many months since the window closed to identify and secure a replacement.

I never also said they were short at anytime Mourinho did. In his interivew he said the second Gallas left they were short, i merely pointed out that they have had sufficent time to look for replacements and if they were wise they could have had a deal in place ready to go in Jan

sundula wrote:
    Yes i was aware but thanks.

I never said/suggested that Chelsea could have picked up the phone the second Gallas was gone and got a replacement before the summer window closed. I said that they have many months since the window closed to identify and secure a replacement.

I never also said they were short at anytime Mourinho did. In his interivew he said the second Gallas left they were short, i merely pointed out that they have had sufficent time to look for replacements and if they were wise they could have had a deal in place ready to go in Jan
    The window has been open for three days. One of which was a match day.

Chelsea have no Premiership games for nine days, what makes you think a replacement hasn't been identified and will be in place by then? IMO it is naive to think that Chelsea won't have signed someone by then.

The window has been open for three days. One of which was a match day.

Chelsea have no Premiership games for nine days, what makes you think a replacement hasn't been identified and will be in place by then? IMO it is naive to think that Chelsea won't have signed someone by then.

I certainly never said that they wouldnt sign anyone. From reading between the lines i dont believe that they have anyone lined up because i think if they had then the deal would have been done before the window and that player would be now training with the club. Just my opinion and i base it on the last two interviews i saw with Mourinho, where he moaned about the current prices. So I believe that only very very recently decided to look for someone, put out the feelers and were given some crazy prices.

• Advertisement

any new news?

Advertisement