Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Chéad Lá de Mí Éanair

• 31-12-2006 5:05pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Céard a cheapann ár Rialtas i leith ár dteanga!
    What do our government thing about our language!

http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/attached_files/Pdf%20files/Ráiteas9.pdf - offical document detailing their stance.

Is rud maith é seo i mó thuairim. Níl a lán mion-sonraí ann chun a beith firnee, ach ar a laghad tá siad ar son an theanga.

Beidh an Achta Teanga i bhfeidhm ó amarach, mar a leirítear san Ráiteas thuas, agus amach anseo feicfidh muid, tá súil agam, dá-theangachas. Nó ar a laghadh go mbeidh na cearta sibhialta lionta mar a bhfuil siad san bunreacht!
    ---
    I think the document is a good thing. There isnt a lot of details tbh, but at least they're for the language and improving it.

The Language Act will be in effect as of tomorrow, as they mention in the above PDF. Hopefully in future we'll see bilingualism. Or, well.. at least we'll have our rights as laid out in the consitiution, fulfilled.

ITS UP TO US FOLKS, to request and use the Irish Services that are now available to us.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Jesjes wrote:

ITS UP TO US FOLKS, to request and use the Irish Services that are now available to us.

I really don't have any regards for this government's approach to Irish. They've been claiming to be pro-Irish since FF was set up in 1926! I just see this statement as more Bertiesque waffle to try to scrounge a few Gaeilgeoir votes.

But although they're both 30 years overdue (and more due to people pressure than any government vision), the official EU status and the Language Act are great. I intend to make full use of them. For instance, I recently made a tax return in Irish and also made complaints about lack of Irish services to some semi-state bodies. Oh the power!!!!!! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Lol, fair play. I agree with what you say about Bertie, and I dont really trust the government, who does in this day and age.

But, I think it is a positive thing that there is now legislation in place to back up our rights. Its law now!

I just realised I probably wont be getting my bills in Irish as I live in a shared house and as the only Gaeilgeoir I'd have to take full responsibility for all bills. Eep, says me! I'll wait til I live on my own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Jesjes wrote:
    Lol, fair play. I agree with what you say about Bertie, and I dont really trust the government, who does in this day and age.

But, I think it is a positive thing that there is now legislation in place to back up our rights. Its law now!

I just realised I probably wont be getting my bills in Irish as I live in a shared house and as the only Gaeilgeoir I'd have to take full responsibility for all bills. Eep, says me! I'll wait til I live on my own.

There are lots of other avenues where you're likely to have Irish services, available, local authorities, driving licence docmentation, tax details, electoral registration etc. Bain úsáid astu go léir!

Advertisement