Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the main differences between Sunni & Shia Muslims

• 31-12-2006 6:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭

A lot of reference to one or the other in the news - kind of annoying a lot of the time as I don't know what they're referring to.

Can anyone help me out - or even provide a good link explaining the differences?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

There's only a few minor differences between what the two groups believe. It basically goes back to the question of who was to succeed Muhammad after his death.
    There are some theological differences; the Shia follow a different Madhab (school of law) to the ones Sunnis follow, they don't recognise some of the Haeedth that Sunnis do, but in general the fundamental beliefs are the same.

Here's a few links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunni
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shi%27a_Islam
    http://www.religionfacts.com/islam/comparison_charts/islamic_sects.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

Shi'a have changed a number of elements of Islamic practices.
    I'll point out some but please visit the link provide by Frank Grimes above and below:

Prayers:

Traditional Islam (Sunnah): There are 5 prayers a day, Dawn, midday, afternoon, sunset and evening prayers. each is called at its due time

Shia: Prayer calls 3 times a day and they join the midday with the afternoon prayer, the sunset with the evining prayer.
    they even have changed the prayer practice, they place their forehead on a disc made from clay and they speak their prayers at loud which is not the way the prophet (PBUH) did pray.

ALI and Al Husain:

They mourn the Death of Ali (prophet's cousin) and his son Al Husain,
    they chant telling the story of Al Husain's death from their prayer halls which are called "Husayneyeh"
    They also march into the streets hitting/cutting themselves to the point of severe bleeding!!!

The Prophet disciples:

They curse all the prophet diciples and publiclly shame them in their chants and prayers.

The Quraan:
    They even interpret the Quraan as they see fit to their beliefs

In My Opinion:
    This has nothing to do with Islam, its all made up by them.
    To follow Islam is to follow how the Prophet (PBUH) lived his life

for more detailed outline on the differences please visit
    http://islamicweb.com/beliefs/cults/shia.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Suff wrote:
    They also march into the streets hitting/cutting themselves to the point of severe bleeding!!!
    Some do this, not all. I was in Iran during Ashura last year and watched several processions and there wasn't anyone cutting themselves. I know it does happen, but not all of them do it.

Bottle_of_Smoke, there's some information on this site too (scroll to the end of the page for the links).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Suff wrote:

They curse all the prophet diciples and publiclly shame them in their chants and prayers.

They even interpret the Quraan as they see fit to their beliefs

Botle of Smoke I think that in your research you will find these are (not completely unfounded but) inaccurate portrayals of Shi'ite Islam, as is the link in Suff's post.

In fact although Shia form the minority in Ireland (and the majority of countries) they and the Sunni population tend to get along quite well. Even in Iraq until quite recently, believe it or not...

Suff why do you wish to speak so badly of your brothers in Islam? The OP was probably only asking for his own knowledge, a lecture on the ills of Shi'ite Islam is hardly necessary. This is a board for all Muslims, and you must agree that your post (especially the link) has an anti-Shi'ite bias.

After reading about the differences between Shia and Sunnis, it is good to remember what we were reminded of in the Qur'an...
    "And hold fast by the covenant of Allah all together and be not disunited, and remember the favor of Allah on you when you were enemies, then He united your hearts so by His favor you became brethren" (Aal `Imran 3:103)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

Yeah, I agree with InFront. I myself am Sunni but I don't think it's correct to talk so badly of our Shia brothers and sisters. We must remember also that they believe in only One God and they accept Mohamed (peace be upon him) as a messenger. They're nothing like The Nation of Islam for example who you can't call Muslims at all.

As a moderator, I'll have to say that there can be no more Sunni/Shia bashing on here. It's bad enough with the disunity going on Iraq at the moment without having it here as well.

I know a few Shia myself and they're fine individuals and we get on without any problems as do most Sunni and Shia.

As I said, I'm Sunni but I prefer to just call myself Muslim. One who submits to God.

Very good verse quote by the way InFront.

• Advertisement

Dear InFront....

Like I said.."In My Opinion"...I dont understand the Hate that is generated by the shia towards the sunni's. I have listened to a number of their lectures having lived in Kuwait for 15 years (I know what they say about sunni's)

To me,..Muslims should be one, united together but the shia went and made the difference even wider by changing a number of practices and ideology of the Faith, it started as a political difference which resulted in a major ideology difference!
    I cannot simply agree to hear/see the shia curse the disciples {sahaba} or any member of his household.

This is not a bashing in any form,...I am speaking out of concern

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Suff wrote:
    Dear InFront....

Like I said.."In My Opinion"...I dont understand the Hate that is generated by the shia towards the sunni's. I have listened to a number of their lectures having lived in Kuwait for 15 years (I know what they say about sunni's)

To me,..Muslims should be one, united together but the shia went and made the difference even wider by changing a number of practices and ideology of the Faith, it started as a political difference which resulted in a major ideology difference!
    I cannot simply agree to hear/see the shia curse the disciples {sahaba} or any member of his household.

This is not a bashing in any form,...I am speaking out of concern

I am sure the majority of Shia's have no problem with Sunni's. I know Sunni's and Shia's inter marry all the time. I don't think the difference is that pronounced with the exception of the current situation in Iraq. I don't see why we would have any problems between one another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Suff wrote:

you're an idiot.....do us a favour and educate yourself about the differences before posting them up

fatal wrote:
    you're an idiot.....do us a favour and educate yourself about the differences before posting them up

Thank you for your kindness!
    my knowledge of them is correct and up todate if you would like to enlighten us and correct my points with you knowledge if you please!

check the link
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/1890541.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

First up Suff the charter clearly states about dissing other religons (even other types of Muslims on this forum). So consider yourself warned. You are clearly mis-representing them.

Secondly if you even bothered to read the BBC News link you would see that not all Shia Muslims believe in the bloodletting. In fact Iran have banned it and Hezbollah in Lebanon have actually tried to get people to donate blood rather then waste it.

That is in the news story you linked.

Oh and fatal no more name calling. If you have an issue with a post use the report post button.

• Advertisement

Hobbes wrote:
    First up Suff the charter clearly states about dissing other religons (even other types of Muslims on this forum). So consider yourself warned. You are clearly mis-representing them.
    I didnt mean it to be out like that! but point taken, apologies if it did ofend
    Hobbes wrote:
    Secondly if you even bothered to read the BBC News link you would see that not all Shia Muslims believe in the bloodletting. In fact Iran have banned it and Hezbollah in Lebanon have actually tried to get people to donate blood rather then waste it.

That is in the news story you linked.
    That was my point!

Advertisement