Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxer Dog

Options
  • 31-12-2006 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hello everyone!

I'm looking at buying a boxer puppy in March, I'd very much appreciate it if I could find someone in the Leinster region that may have puppies around that time (six week old).

Thanks a million.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

If i were you i'd take the time between now and March to thoroughly research any potential breeders you may be considering buying from, every skanger in the country is churning out boxers.

Also, anyone willing to sell you a six week old pup is best avoided;)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭scorphonic

why's that Arcadian? Should a dog not be sold at 6 weeks?

Is there any place that I can use to source breeders?

Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Yes be very careful
    Boxers are wall to wall available and have some rotten congenital inherited defects
    Google Boxers or get a breed book on what you should be asking about

Six weeks is too young
    6-8 weeks is a crucial learning period in a dogs life - they are just weaned and are now about to learn rules and boundaries from their mum.
    Most behaviourists will tell you that puppies taken away too early are prone to certain kinds of bad behaviour !

Also be aware of the vaccines the dog should have had by 8 weeks and when they need their final shots and also make sure you get the vaccination card and worming history from the breeder
    An unwormed pupper is a very sickly unhappy little chap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

9 (minimum)-12(Ideal) weeks is probably the best time to take on a puppy.
    Anything under that and it misses out on some extremely valuable mummy-teaching (probably meaning more work for *you* down the line!).

Friend of mine once took in a 17 week old who's mummy-dog had almost house-trained by her own example! So it definitely makes a difference.
    Besides, as somone already said, anyone who would give you a 6 week old pup is a very irresponsible breeder.

B

ah super, thank you both for those messages. I was not aware that Boxers had so much genetic junk!!!....are they continuously bred with less-than-optimum others?

How can you be sure that the dog that you are going to purchase comes from a genetically sound background?

• Advertisement

Contact the Irish Kennell Club who should be able to put you in contact with the Boxer Breed secretary who can help you further.

Lots of breeds have their own clubs.

Also would you consider a rescue boxer - there are lots of them coming into pounds and shelters as eejits get them and realise they can be hard work !

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

as said before would you consider a rescue boxer - puppies are cute but god are they hard work........

if you are going to get a puppy, stay away from ANYONE who would allow you to take a 6 week old as it's way too young, and make sure you see the parents with the puppies :) and if I were you I'd start reading up on dog training NOW it's much easier if you're as prepared as possible for the new arrival and can we see some photos please in March :p

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cmurph

i have a number for mary in the boxer rescue centre if you want it i can pm it to you....
    my boxer died in october ,we had her a long time and we have now replaced her with a dog 18 months old...his owner couldn't look after him any more, lets just say they are lots of hard work as young dogs but do settle and are fantastic family pets...

at this stage my fella has ate the number plate off the car, wrecked my braodband by pulling it wires and all off the roof and plenty other stuff but when i go out he just looks up and he is ever so cute ....damn him, just so inquisitive.....not all are like this of course but most are.....

i take my fella for a walk twice a day, each walk is about 2 miles...

and he still has energy to pull the clothes off the line afterwards!!!

just read up on the breed and be sure its what you want.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

our boxer died just a few weeks ago - he was an absolute credit to his breed - not a bad bone in his body and kept us laughing till the end. they do slobber ALOT they shed quite a bit for a shorthaired dog and it can b hard to remove from clothes and furniture, and they stay as puppies for life- ours was almost 10 and he still bounced around like a pup. theyre high maintenence dogs physically and emotionally but they are worth every bit of it and will be your friend for life! fyi white boxers are prone to deafness and cancer is a big risk for boxers so insurance is a must

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Great advice given, as always. As mention do not.. NOT take a puppy that is less than 9 weeks old from a breeder. Also there is alot of wrong information, i think, going around about vaccinations. Most breeders give puppies a parvo vac at 6 weeks while they are still feeding off their mummys. At this point the mother has passed antibodies to her pups in milk and the vac given at six weeks is well pointless. Then they tell them they need only one more vaccination. Puppies should be, i believe, vaccinated at 8 weeks with a two part vaccination, either parvo and Lepto or Dhppi and lepto and then two weeks later with the other one, depending on what they get the first time. Now as i have said this is what i have been taught and find is the best for dogs. I have found alot of people coming in with pups and saying their breeder has said that they only need one more vac and the puppy is very sick as the wrong course has been given!!!! rant over i believe!

Yes boxers are wonderful dogs, but as many purebreds suffer from over breeding and in breeding! its a shame but i think that getting a rescue one is great also seriously think about neutering/spaying your dog and please op if your a guy dont be of the mentallity no i have a male dog im not gonna cut his nuts off.. thats just silly it is better for them in the long run!

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for the wonderful information, I'll keep everything in mind when the time comes to chose the dog.

Thanks again!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭NukeD4

hey my boxer turned two last thursday and we got him at 7 weeks old,he is behaviourly sound,he is and always will be a housedog and shows no signs of aggression/dominance as he was well socialized as a pup,he comes from very good european stock,but i would be wary of boxer breeders at the mo,as they are quite popular,word of warning tho,boxers are crazy!need at least a walk every day and tonnes of attention,but you get so much from them as a breed,good luck with your pup if you get him/her

NukeD4 wrote:
    hey my boxer turned two last thursday and we got him at 7 weeks old,he is behaviourly sound,he is and always will be a housedog and shows no signs of aggression/dominance as he was well socialized as a pup,he comes from very good european stock,but i would be wary of boxer breeders at the mo,as they are quite popular,word of warning tho,boxers are crazy!need at least a walk every day and tonnes of attention,but you get so much from them as a breed,good luck with your pup if you get him/her

My house is sitting on 3 acres of land so would this be enough for the dog until I could bring him/her out for a walk at the weekends or would the dog get really bored stuck on the same 3 acres for 5 days of the week?

Yes !
    He will

It doesn't matter what size a garden is - no dog runs round and round and exercises himself / herself .
    Not that I've ever known anyway

It's a common misconception about garden size - it doesn't matter what size it is the dog needs to be taken out and about and socialized and stimulated with outside smells and noises and activity.

Personally if you don't have time to walk a dog until a weekend then I'd think long and hard about getting one.

Boxers are high maintenance - highly strung and very very headstrong and energetic.

There are a couple in my dogs training classes and they are mad !
    So please bear this in mind if the dog is going to be left unexercised all week. For your own sake and the dogs.

NukeD4 seems to have the experience of the breed - perhaps he / she can tell you more .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭NukeD4

i dont think that would do to be honest,as your dog would soon get used to the size of the garden,it would just be normal for him,i have a small garden so when i take the dog to the country,he goes mad running around only because hes not used to the space,i think he would need the walk for the mental stimulation aswell,a bored dog is a destructive dog,also boxers suffer from seperation anxiety,so just something to think about

Cool, I'm just asking...no harm to get rid of any misconceptions that I may have before getting one. I've absolutely no problems with bringing the dog for a walk every day, above all else the boxer will certainly bring me for a walk!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Aaronlee

hi
    seen your ad on the boards saying that you have the number for the boxer rescue centre.we are a young family that has just moved into a new house and would like to rescue a boxer and would appreciate if you would post us the number on to us
    Thanks a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Check www.dogsindistress.org and im nearly sure there is a beautiful boxer there looking for a home-he may be put down if not rescued soon so check it out now!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Aaronlee

cowzerp wrote:
    Check www.dogsindistress.org and im nearly sure there is a beautiful boxer there looking for a home-he may be put down if not rescued soon so check it out now!

Thanks for letting me know checked him out i think its the same boxer if it is he has been rehomed.We will keep looking and if anyone has the number for the boxer rescue centre please pass it on to us.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Jotter wrote:
    our boxer died just a few weeks ago - he was an absolute credit to his breed - not a bad bone in his body and kept us laughing till the end. they do slobber ALOT they shed quite a bit for a shorthaired dog and it can b hard to remove from clothes and furniture, and they stay as puppies for life- ours was almost 10 and he still bounced around like a pup. theyre high maintenence dogs physically and emotionally but they are worth every bit of it and will be your friend for life! fyi white boxers are prone to deafness and cancer is a big risk for boxers so insurance is a must

i have white boxer dog jake must post pick of him he is pic of healy muscles like greyhound boody of boxer health wise he is perfect this blindness deafness thing is a myth i think following section taken from wiki note last line

Boxers with white markings covering more than one-third of their coat - conventionally called "white" Boxers - are neither albino nor rare; approximately 20-25% of all Boxers born are white.[12] Genetically, these dogs are either fawn or brindle, with excessive white markings overlying the base coat color. Like fair-skinned humans, white Boxers have a higher risk of sunburn and associated skin cancers than colored Boxers. There are studies concluding they are more prone to congenital deafness caused by lack of pigmentation in the inner ear. It is estimated that 18% of white Boxers are deaf in one or both ears,[13] though shelters and rescue organizations see about double this rate.[citation needed] There is no evidence that blindness or other health problems are related to excessive white markings in Boxers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭mel123

Hi,
    I am moving from an apartment to a house now, so looking to get a boxer. How much can i expect to pay? I obviously want to go down the right road and get one from a breeder with shots etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

Hi I breed boxers,

Id just like to add that if buying one you should ensure the parents were hip scored and heart line tested as this reduces the likely hood of congentail heart diseases so prominent in the breed due to over breeding. Ensure to see the parents health check certs stamped by a vet dont just take a breeders word for it, just cos a pup is Ikc doesnt mean it is healthy. Also six weeks is way too young to buy a dog 8 or 9 weeks should be the minimum age and the pup should be wormed and vaccined up to date and remember a vaccine will be due again at 12 weeks.
    See the dam with the pups and the sire also, play with them etc to get an idea of their temperment ask the breeder as many questions as you can think of and ask for a written agreement to have the pup checked by your own vet to ensure he/she is healthy.
    A breeder who lacks knowledge or avoids questions or who has more than one breed of dogs being breed from should be avoided as it is clear they are only in it for the money. check the area the pups are in are clean 7 adequate and where the parents are also.

alos boxers are very energetic and like attention so they need reqular excercise, long walks and plenty of play time and love and attention from the owner. My adult boxers are not destructive nor do they show signs of dominance, attentions seeking behaviour or aggression. there are walked twice daily each walk 30 minutes min, i also found having a toy box extremely helpful i change the toys each day so that they dont become bored with the toys.

lead training boxers and obdience is also very important and you should do this from a young age also some tend to like jumping up and can be boisterous so be prepared for it and train the pup so that they understand the difference between play time and randomly jumping up on strngers or young children.

Research the breed before just buying one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭mel123

Thanks shinners. So how much do u charge for a pup??

Hi Mel,

i personally charge 550 for my pups, however others are available they range in prices from 400 up wards in general i believe. However i do not have any pups and only breed once every year from my females so that they gain weight and it gives her time to come back to full health etc. All my adults are hip scored and heart line tested as well as certified vet checked, all pups are vet checked & certified, vaccined IKc reg, wormed, nails clipped, they come with food, bed, caresheet, vaccine cert & guidelines. All next pups are booked.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 xxlccxx

hi every1

hav u had any luck scorphonic i am also wanting 2 by a boxer pup who wud have thought buyin a pup would be so much hard work :eek: have done loads of research on it an there is alot of breeders on www.irishdogs.ie r in the buy and sell there was one website i was on that gave a list of breeders for every breed with th edirect number along side it i have lost the number but im tryin 2 find the website again wen i do i wil post it..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭TKD SC

There's a nice white boxer called Snowball at the dspca for rehoming (www.dspca.ie). Give them a call / visit to see him. He does tend to take you for the walk though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pablom

My boxer has just died in accident and we are devastated. I am looking to see if I can source the same blood line as him. He was bought in Stamullen nearly 3 years ago. I would appreciate if anybody knows of a boxer breeder in Stamullen. Thank you in advance..

• Registered Users Posts: 5 xxlccxx

hi i was wondering could you help me. i have always wanted a boxer dog but was never in the right situation to get one, i am moving house now in 2 weeks with a secure back garden and my children are a little bit older now. Do you think a boxer dog would be suitable to have when i've two kids my daughter is 3 and my son is 2. I have done loads of research on the internet about the breed but most sites give me conflicting information. Please can you help as i dont want to buy a pup and then have to give him away. If you think it would be suitable would you have any tips on finding a reputable breeder as i am so confused with all the people selling boxers these days.

a confused mother :confused:

hi xxlccx,

i just came across your post now.

boxers are excellant with children and as you have space (secure back garden) and if your at home alot boxers like company then it shouldnt be a problem, boxers are well known for their placid temperments and excellant child friendly social skills. just a tip ome boxers like to jump around and be a bit giddy obviously as you children ar young the boxer may knock them over hence obdience trining is a big factor when buying/rehoming a boxer pup/adult.

also as im sure your research has informed you boxers can have problems health wise due to inbreeding/ over breeding, a good tip is if buying one ensure the parents and pups are vet checked & certified, hip scored, eye teseted and heart line tested.

another thing you can do is ring the IKC or ICC to see just how mny litters or dogs an individual is breeding and registering this will give you an idea if the seller is genuine, a puppy farm breeder or fairly genuine. ensure th parents look healthy the area both the parents and pups in are clean and ask as many questions as possible, a reputable breeder will be talkative and genuine and most imprtantly knowledable in relation to the specific breed.

check the temperments of the parents play with them and see how they are with your children this will also give you the opportunity to see how your children get on with a fully grown boxer.

boxers can be fully healthy my adults are proof of this they have no health complications to date and never have been ill, their part of my family and i wouldnt exchange them for love or money and are great loving and loyal pets and friends to have so dont let all the negatives sway your decision no breed pedigree nor cross can be deemed risk free as with humans.

Also i reccommend that you get a written agreement from the breeder llowing you a few days to get the pup/dog checked by your own vet.

reputable breeders are hard enough to come by as so many are breeding boxers just for th money aspect, contact the Ikc/icc for lists of reputable breeders.

Lastly i wish you luck in your search and hope you have found this useful.

Sinead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭spongbob

Hi mel123 did You find a boxer yet? i seen some advertised today on a freebe website Vac and registered ect, they could even be free!

let me know how you got on

Advertisement