Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instrumental Rock/Metal?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai, and The Redneck Manifesto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Kharn wrote:
    Anyone care to mention Kerry's own Ten Past Seven? They were playing support to Pellican last time they played and absolutely stole the show.

Yeah, they're deadly. I didn't quite get into them live but once I got the album I appreciated them a lot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

the ****ing champs are a great band too... "starlight on the barrow downs" is a great example of 5 guitars working in concerted force with all thought of conventional rock structure chucked right out the window where it belongs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

The "Yellow Jackets" are a great instrumental band IMO, though they lean more towards jazz than rock. Right now I'm listening to their album "Greenhouse". The "guitar heads" might be disappointed though, as the sax takes it's place! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

RUSH are masters of instrumentals.......
    ..............3 guys that sound like an orchestra..la villa straingiato is by far the best instrumental ive heard in my life and just as good live..yyz , 2112 overture, leave that thing alone, wheres my thing, etc etc...sooooo many instrumental benchmarks in their stuff...sheer class......jethro tull were /are goood at them too..and even Horslips had good stuff on their instrumentals too - dream theartre also,...agree with Doc J OHM veryy good too for sure...

ciao' amigos...Baggio......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

While Friedman was mentioned himself, I still have to mention Cacophony. "The Ninja" is probaly one of my fave instrumental tracks ever (bar that small bit of vocal work of course ;) ). That then leads onto Becker and Perpetual Burn which, although I haven't listened to enough yet, I still amazing.

As for fave proper instrumental track ever, without a doubt its Vai's for the Love The Of God. Every time I listen to it I'm just :o

Oh and special mention to "Ahavo Rabo Taco Salad" by Alter Bridge. Its one of those "look at me, I've been practicing" pieces I love oh so much. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Andy Timmons - his latest album Resolution is absolutely brilliant. Ive been a huge fan of Vai, Satch et al for years, and ive probably listened to this album more than any other instrumental album. It really rocks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Camel's album "The Snow Goose" is a great instrumental one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

A few to add to your the Post- Rock/Metal list
    Agalloch
    Red Sparowes
    Gregor Samsa
    Slint
    Boris
    Do Make Say Think
    Bark Psychosis
    Tortoise
    Labradford
    My Bloody Valentine

And for a Post - Folk fix try ( you don't always need a stack of amps to get power )

John Fahey - Red Cross,Death Chants, Breakdowns and Military Waltzes
    Leo Kottke - 6 And 12 String Guitar
    Jim O'Rourke - Bad Timing
    Adrian Legg - Guitar for Mortals.

Jazz & experimental with a rock edge...
    Miles Davis - post Bitches Brew .. rock in the mix eg Sonny Sharrock
    Bill Laswell - Arcana
    Buckethead
    Frank Zappa
    Derek Bailey
    Keiji Haino
    Terje Rypdal - Skywards

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Gabriel

I like a lot the album from Virgil Donati " Serious Young Insects" ... fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!:)
    People check it .... serious playing there.........:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I only really listen to Vai and Satriani and then only rarely, as most of the time its too self indulgent. Recently been checking out some of bucketheads stuff and its interesting when he slows down. Whitewash is a great track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8akmP6Sjv2o

Advertisement