Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upson wants a transfer

• 31-12-2006 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/b/birmingham_city/6201414.stm

Excellent player imo and not an england player due to his current club, would him and Terry be a decent pairing? if he does go there they would have 3 english players in a back four which hasnt been seen in a decent team for a while. Cant see Pool Utd or Arse going for him as they sorted at the back.

kdjac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Was shocked when I first heard about this. I was hoping that Celtic would sign him as he would be perfect for their central defence problems. With McManus and Caldwell not exactly a fearsome duo, O'Dea inexperienced and Pressley not able to play in Europe, Upson was their answer. But now that Jose has stuck his orr in his price has quadrupled. I could see him doing a job for Chelsea, but we can only wait and see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

How well is he playing without Cunningham beside him? Cunningham made O'Brien look like John Terry. :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Average player who is playing in the Championship for a good reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Whats his rush? He's played 6 months in the championship. Another 6 and he should be in the pl again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Stekelly wrote:
    Whats his rush? He's played 6 months in the championship. Another 6 and he should be in the pl again.

If Chelsea were to knock, and he did't answer, it would be hard to convince the international coaching staff that he's ambitious. The other side of the coin is obviously people screaming "Wright Phillips", but not everyone Chelsea sign is going to "do a Wright Phillips".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Do you think theres much chance though that Mourinho would be buying him with a long term plan in mind for him? I would tend to be thinking stop-gap, which is not going to be good for Upson in the long run.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Bateman wrote:
    If Chelsea were to knock, and he did't answer, it would be hard to convince the international coaching staff that he's ambitious.

As you said yourself if he did answer and he didnt get a game he's doing himself no favours

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Bateman wrote:
    If Chelsea were to knock, and he did't answer, it would be hard to convince the international coaching staff that he's ambitious. The other side of the coin is obviously people screaming "Wright Phillips", but not everyone Chelsea sign is going to "do a Wright Phillips".

IMO, if he went to Chelsea he would end up a "Wright-Philips" as soon as Terry made a full recovery as Mourinho wouldn't leave either Terry or Carvalho on the bench.

The way Birmingham are going, by next May, they will be in the Premiership and he will be guaranteed (more than likely) a first team place. If he went to Chelsea, then he would be lucky to get a dozen games in the Premiership, IMO.

He should stay with Birmingham who gave him a second chance after he not getting a career at Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

It's a decision the lad would have to make himself. He would have to believe he is good enough to force Carvalho out of the team, which wouldn't be impossible IMO, although I do rate Carvalho highly. Either way, he could expect to see a damn sight more time on the pitch than Wright Phillips. He would be first-choice back-up for two centre halves, both of whom are prone to suspensions, and occasional injuries.

This time last year would anyone have thought Gallas would be up and gone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Birmingham getting into the premiership is a far from a given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Always liked Upson. However I dont believe he will hold down a place in the Chelsea team once Terry comes back. Newcastle looks ideal for him, him and Taylor could form a very good partnership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Go on roeder, get him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭csk

Read in one of the papers that villa were going for him. Would be good for him and villa methinks, what with their leaky defense and being only a couple of miles move across to the good side of Birmingham. It would suit right down to the ground. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

[QUOTE=KdjaCLCant see Pool Utd or Arse going for him as they sorted at the back.[/QUOTE]

huh :confused: Which the small exception of Utd I think this statement is incorrect. Arsenal and Liverpool do not have decent cover for CBs, however Id agree with you that its highly unlikely Upson will go there. Chelsea, Newcastle or Pompy for me...depending on other transfers

Advertisement