Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your least favourite subject?

Options
  • 31-12-2006 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭

So which of your subjects do you absolutely hate? My choice would be History. The format of the course is downright annoying. We're given 4 whole textbooks to study and when it comes to the exam we only answer one question on each entire book (though there are 4 choices for each question). The Department do their best to word the questions as awkwardly as possible too. Oh why oh why didn't I pick Geography

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

History, and to an extent English.
    History is such a pain due to the courses size,and it doesent help that the course is so memory heavy.
    There is little analytical emphises on the course,its more about writing out pages of scrawl and actually trying to memorise pages of detail.
    History hands down:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Here here. I've decided to learn off the sections of the course that seem important and ignore everything else(for example in the Ireland 1916-1949 section I'm focusing on the Eucharistic Congress, Ireland during WWII, Fianna Fail's economic policies and writers of the New Ireland). Pretty much learning off these sections word for word and then vomiting them onto the page in the exam. It worked for the Christmas test anyway, got myself a B so I did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

For the exam itself, probably history or english, however for a subject, as in learning it...then home ec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭geminilady

Has to be english hands down, then prob home ec.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Economics. Too much crap to learn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I loved Business and kept getting A1s in all our assignments and got a B2 on our first big exam yet I got a D for effort and progress in my Christmas report. I'm gutted and now hate the stupid subject. I'm doing the whole course in 1 year and thought I was progressing brilliantly!

I don't particularly like the composition aspect of English either because I know it'll go either brilliantly or I'll freeze and fail horribly. I'm not bad at English but creative writing has always been my downfall. The mocks will be very useful in helping me figure out what to focus on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

French.

Why oh why are we forced to study a Europeon language?

It's not a hard exam, I just despise it.

History is a hard exam but I love it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

^^ should of gone with German

my worst id say is honours Biology its fairly hard
    though being in a classroom with 2 guys (myself included) and 23 girls can be preety distracting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭madgal

English English English English English English English English English English English English English English

I hate it with a passion. The poetry is depressing, and suicidal. MacBeth is vicious and brutal, and the essay are crap! Need I say any more.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

My least favourite subject would have to be Honors Maths. I was more than willing to put myself in the top class at the start of 5th year, but at the halfway point of 6th year I find myself completely lost. Dodgey teacher...

Also, while Irish is probably my strongest subject, I'm starting to get sick of it. Again, this is purely down to a teacher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Physics, English, there all pretty gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Odd, I love english.

Hate Irish but I am doing pass so it's grand. I hate physics with a passion. I just can't do it at all... argh :(

German is annoying too but I don't mind it as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Im pretty good at English but i still hate it if that makes sense, its just so much effort and utter bollox writing essays and the like.

English is alright....there's just SO MUCH of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Irish and English sometimes. Everything else seems pretty alright to learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Admittedly English is a pain in the hole. I don't think it comes down to 'do you enjoy English?' so much as 'do you enjoy writing until all that remains of your hand is a fleshy stump?'...

...Ok maybe the imagery is a bit over-the-top but you get the idea

/me glances at fleshy stumps.

Over the top? Speak for yourself....!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Chemistry. I'm going to assume by the above that none of you do chemistry. How anyone could do chemistry and not consider it their least favourite subject, I'll never understand. It's so, so, so extremely annoying.

I understand Chemistry, the amount of facts and definitions to be learned off are a bitch though(and it's not like Physics where once you understand it you essentially know it and can simply learn forumulae rather than definintions).

Definately not my least favourite though, I find all the Organic Chemistry really interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Your Man

Fobia wrote:
    Chemistry. I'm going to assume by the above that none of you do chemistry. How anyone could do chemistry and not consider it their least favourite subject, I'll never understand. It's so, so, so extremely annoying.

agree with you there...its a load of bollocks, some of the calculations on the experiments are impossible...theres no rhyme or reason to them, an example being the redox titrations, it doesnt help ive a terrible teacher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Physics is one I despise. Irish is another but thats mainly Paper 2. There the ordinary levels so it could be worse. I'll have to go with English. Crap teacher, crap poetry...just mind-numbingly boring subject. Am looking forward till the evening of the 6th of June when it'll be all over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Famous_Séamus

Your Man wrote:
    agree with you there...its a load of bollocks, some of the calculations on the experiments are impossible...theres no rhyme or reason to them, an example being the redox titrations, it doesnt help ive a terrible teacher

I agree as well. More so then any other subject, you require a fairly broad knowledge of the subject. Of course this is good in a learning sence, however having to learn so many equations and stuff, when you dont know where they came from is extremely difficult. I was getting better at it for a while....but now Im going down hill again. Why did I listen to all the people saying "You need a Science subject..." :(

You don't need to learn many equations in Chemistry, and you should have at least a general idea of where the equations you do have to learn came from if not a full understanding.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

I despise the honors English course, particularly comparative as the texts we've chosen weren't that particualarly interesting.

However, as for learning, it's gotta be Home Ec. Love half the course(Social studies & Consumer section) but I'm finding the food science section particularly drawn out and complex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 MadSambuka

English should be banned

Hardly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Physics, Maths and French.

I don't mind English as it's one of my strongest subjects, as is history...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

I hate History with a passion.

We have had a substitute teacher in for this past few months and He is far better than the other teacher that I've had by far!

The shear amount of useless stuff you have to learn is just awful.

The rest of the subjects should be grand imo.

BFassassin wrote:
    I hate History with a passion.

We have had a substitute teacher in for this past few months and He is far better than the other teacher that I've had by far!

The shear amount of useless stuff you have to learn is just awful.
    Define "useful".

What did you expect to be learning when you picked history?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

does nobody hate biology? its like the stupidest subject on the planet! i dont care about how plants work....:(

Advertisement