Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virtual PC 2004 and Ubuntu

• 31-12-2006 11:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Just the other day I installed Ubuntu on my laptop though Virtual PC. The thing is that I can get onto the Internet. I have installed the Loop-back Adapter and I have set up my wireless, loop-back and Ubuntu so that Ubuntu runs of the loopback and the loopback runs of the wireless...but no luck. Is there something I'm missing or just over looked?

Also, I have no sound from Ubuntu and it is saying that there no devices found...any help?

The Internet thing is the one I want to sort out, the sound thing is just irritating me...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

That's meant to be CAN'T get onto the Internet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Ubuntu would have better driver support for VMware's virtual hardware, as far as i remember both the vmware player and server are free. the vmware workstation costs a bit of $$$

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

VMWare is good, imo. But you could just take the plunge and install it. I've used Kubuntu for a good few months on my PC :)

I have installed Ubuntu on my PC...dual boot with XP Pro...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

can you get onto the internet with that install? if not are you using ethernet or wifi?

• Advertisement

The one I use on the PC has internet but the one on VPC is not working...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Virtual Server has been problematic with versions of linux, eg running one version of Centos and not the next and the like.

So I'd go along with the VMware Server suggestion. They're quicker to fix issues with particular kernels.
    http://www.vmware.com/products/free_virtualization.html

Unless your company has a library of images that you need to test or similar. In which case, trying an earlier version of ubuntu might make a difference.

Of course it might be due to kernel programmers being slower to add support for MS virtual devices due to lack of access or documentation.

Advertisement