Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Registration Query

Options
  • 01-01-2007 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Would appreciate any information on the folowing matter - I'm in the process of buying a second hand car (privately) - the car reg suggests it was registered very early in 2003 (03 D xxx). A report from the website cartell.ie however reveals that the car was first registered in April of 03. This is probably all very innocent but I thought if a car was registered in April it would have a much higher no. or do garages buy registration numbers in block? Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

michaelm wrote:
    Would appreciate any information on the folowing matter - I'm in the process of buying a second hand car (privately) - the car reg suggests it was registered very early in 2003 (03 D xxx). A report from the website cartell.ie however reveals that the car was first registered in April of 03. This is probably all very innocent but I thought if a car was registered in April it would have a much higher no. or do garages buy registration numbers in block? Any ideas?

The reg no. was probably reserved for that car before the start of the year (it costs €315 to do so) and can be used at anytime during that year upto the 31st Dec.

Does the number relate to the cars model? e.g. BMW 320 or perhaps the number was significant to the cars first owner or any number from 1 - 200...

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

Many thanks for that - answers my question, as a matter of interest the registration no. relates exactly to the model of the car. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Check who the first owner was, the car may have been a demo model. Not neccessarily a bad thing as it would probably have all the options, but you could use it to beat down the price. "Jaysus it was a demo model, trashed up and down the road by every Tom, Dick and Harry for 6 months, ye'll have to drop the price another €500!" ;)

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's because the car was registered in January and wasn't taxed till april so a VLC wasn't issued till then

Advertisement