Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kanu says let me go (to Ajax)

• 01-01-2007 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Whatever happened to honouring a contract?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/6222245.stm
    Portsmouth striker Kanu has called for the club to allow him to leave Fratton Park to join Ajax.

The 30-year-old is the club's top scorer with nine goals but is keen to make a return to the Dutch club.

He told the Vanguard newspaper: "I want to go to Ajax. Portsmouth should be grateful for what I have been able to do for them and allow me to go."

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Tut tut, after 'arry taking a risk on him and giving him another crack at the whip in the Premiership. Where's the feckin loyalty these days :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Portsmouth should be grateful for what I have been able to do for them
    What a strange thing to say. :confused: Is giving his best usually a notional idea or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Contracts are pointless from a clubs point of view nowadays. All they serve to do is make sure a player gets his money every week. As far as th eclubs are concerned, players may as well be on a week to week contract for all the protection they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Unreal. Is he actually playing today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yep

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I always thought he was a nice honest guy. Suprised he is that egotistical

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭BillyBoy

It was a quote from a Nigerian newspaper so i'll believe he's leaving when i see it.

Play Up Pompey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Pigman II wrote:
    What a strange thing to say. :confused: Is giving his best usually a notional idea or something?

If he had performed as he has for maybe 4/5 years and Portsmouth still weren't that successful you could understand that statement(just about) .

But Portsmouth are the ones who have revived Kanu's career , he should be grateful to them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Exactly! Pompey basically resurrected a flagging professional's career and this is the way he goes about repaying them? Granted he has scored regularly, but come on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

BillyBoy wrote:
    It was a quote from a Nigerian newspaper so i'll believe he's leaving when i see it.

exactly, cant really comment until i hear him say it himself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I saw Redknapp been interviewed and he didn't have a clue about Kanu leaving and downplayed it, all tabloid fodder if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I saw Redknapp been interviewed and he didn't have a clue about Kanu leaving and downplayed it, all tabloid fodder if you ask me.

Kanu only signed a 12 m onh contract so he is now free to talk to other clubs at the same time as opening negotiations with Pompey.

This sounds like an agent talking to a tabloid to get a better deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭BillyBoy

Kanu only signed a 12 m onh contract so he is now free to talk to other clubs at the same time as opening negotiations with Pompey.

This sounds like an agent talking to a tabloid to get a better deal.

Looks like your right. Got this off a Portsmouth Fans Website -

\'Kanu has shot down rumours he is heading out the Fratton Park exit door.
    And he wants Pompey to give him a deal to keep him on the south coast even longer.

Reports in the Dutch press have once again resurfaced linking the Blues\' leading scorer with a return to former club Ajax in this month\'s transfer window.

They are persistent claims likely to be fuelled by agents trying to get the Nigerian a new contract at Fratton Park.

But Kanu insisted the rumours are entirely wide of the mark.

Instead he has called on the club to extend his stay beyond the end of the season when his existing deal runs out.

And the 30-year-old is seeking to hold talks soon to keep him at Pompey.

He said: \'I don\'t know why they keep on saying that about Ajax – there\'s nothing happening.

\'I\'m a Portsmouth player, I love the supporters, I love the club and definitely I want to be here. It\'s just up to the management to show their own commitment.

\'I don\'t know who these people are that keep going on about Ajax, Ajax, Ajax. I haven\'t even heard from Ajax.

\'I don\'t know where it\'s coming from. It\'s annoying because it\'s not true.

\'The fans want to know the truth and the truth is I am grateful to Portsmouth, to Harry, to the management, to the supporters.

\'They have taken me in and since then I have been playing for them and I want to stay.

\'I have said before that it\'s difficult to travel for two hours from London to Portsmouth and then train and then go back.

\'But if I can have a commitment from the club then I can settle down, have a house here and be relaxed.

\'I want a longer contract. If you have six months of a one-year contract, you don\'t know what\'s going to happen.

\'It\'s just for the management to say \"okay\" and then give you more years on your contract so you can relax.

\'It depends on the management how long it is and then we\'ll take it from there.\'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Advertisement