Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build problems - help required

Options
  • 01-01-2007 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I started my first build and have come across a BIG problem.

1st problem was the DVD drive didnt read disks so I had to use and CD drive to install Win Xp.

Then after I installed the os I took out the CD rom and plugged in the DVD drive in the hope to get it working - no joy there.

BTW the drive is http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=325546
    Found a website to flash the drive and update firmware.
    Reboot and the drive wasn't even detected.

About a hour after this point I smelt something burning so I quickly shut down the pc.

I open the case and sniffed around, Nose directed me to the DVD drive.
    Ripped it out is it smelled pretty bad.

Now I tried to power up the pc without the DVD and nothing is happening - power button does nothing. No Bios or startup.

Is there anything I can test / check?

Is is possible my brand new PSU (Seasonic 500W PSU - S12 Series)
    http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?QuickLinx=45G9

has been fried by a dodgey DVD Drive or could it be the PSU itself that caused all of this.

I would really appreciate some advice here.

Many thanks

Q

FULL SPEC

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
    MSI P965 NEO-F, P965
    Corsair Value S. PC5300 DDR2 2048MB Kit
    Seasonic 500W PSU - S12 Series
    NEC DVD±recorder AD-5170 IDE Black OEM

Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB S300 16MB
    Western Digital Raptor 150GB S150 16mb 10000rpm
    Antec P180 EU PC Case Performance One Series

Point of View GeForce 7600GT 256MB,PCI-Express, DVI/Tv-Out, Retail

Zalman CNPS9500LED Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Fanboy

Did you use same molex for DVD drive that u did for CD drive? If so, i wouldnt imagine it was the PSU. RMA the DVDRW and hope they give you a new one! Pain in the backside, mind you.

The lack of optical drive shouldn't stop the PC from booting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭quazzy

Fanboy wrote:
    Did you use same molex for DVD drive that u did for CD drive? If so, i wouldnt imagine it was the PSU. RMA the DVDRW and hope they give you a new one! Pain in the backside, mind you.

The lack of optical drive shouldn't stop the PC from booting though.

The PSU is not starting at all - as in there is no power when I press the ON button.

Yup, I used the exact same connections for the CD and DVD.

Have to do some work now but I'll tinker around and post back if there is any news

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

when you have the psu turned on at the back does the mobo show any lights ??

dont blame ur psu it could be the mobo try rebuliding everthing out side and see what happens .

awhir wrote:
    when you have the psu turned on at the back does the mobo show any lights ??

dont blame ur psu it could be the mobo try rebuliding everthing out side and see what happens .

Went back to the pc and unplugged the psu and switch off the I/O switch.

Hit the power button and as if by magic it started to boot up.

I didn't have time to do anything else so I turned it off again.

I'll check it again when I'm back home.

Thanks for the advice awhir

Ill keep everyone posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Not sure about this without some more details, but could it be that your mother board was shorting off the case? DVD drive adding / removing could potentially (bad pun) move the board around a little in a new build...

Only suggest that cos that's what happened me with my first build and also I'm sure you'd like to know what caused the problem, even if it *is* working now! :)

Hope it's all ok now, anyway. Actually, I *really* hope it is, cos the setup I'm planning to buy is quite similar to yours! ;)

• Advertisement

Well - it's not entirely sorted.
    DVD from komplett is screwed and Im awaiting and RMA.

The spare CD-ROM that I added is also now dead.

I don't know exactly what is goin on because the molex I used for the DVD and CD are now being used by the case fans and they seem to be working fine - maybe i did short something.

I have ordered a SATA DVD writer from komplett in the meantime and hope that nothing goes wrong with that.

Ill keep this thread updated either way.

@deathfunk: lemme know how the build works out.

Q

Advertisement