Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Side door to house.

Options
  • 01-01-2007 1:25pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi & a happy new year to all ye aspiring diy'ers.

So,
    have just finished an extension to my house and need a new side door.(b/t house and neighbours wall)
    This will be an external door for bringing in bikes etc and the entrance is about 1m wide. I want a proper key lock in it.

My builder told not to get a timber one as I will be shaving bits off it with expansion etc.

so - what have ye got - good or bad.
    I might try soruce an aluminium door and frame and attached some timber to the front ???

any ideas,

Thx
    K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

We have a solid wood front door and Frame, and haven't had an issue with it swelling since installation 18 months ago. Just make sure it's well varnished.

& a Happy new year to you too

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

I agree with QWERTY, a good timber door shouldn't swell, warp or crack, as long as it's sealed as soon as it's installed or preferably before as you can get to all the frame etc which will be covered up once it's in place.

Advertisement