Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jan Transfer thread

• 01-01-2007 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone got any juicy/stupid deals rumours in the offering?

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ooooooooh the excitment.

So when are Beckham and Henry being paraded at Anfield?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah the Stupid category!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Stekelly wrote:
    ooooooooh the excitment.

So when are Beckham and Henry being paraded at Anfield?:)
    The same time Kaka and Villa are supposed to be:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Chelsea- M Richards, keeper and striker
    Liverpool- Ashley Young, Benayoun?
    Utd- Hargreaves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

smuckers wrote:
    Utd- Hargreaves

I'm praying United see sense and not waste another bomb of cash on overrated tripe like Hargreaves. £4 mil at most but if they spent anything £10 mill+ I'll flip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I'm praying United see sense and not waste another bomb of cash on overrated tripe like Hargreaves. £4 mil at most but if they spent anything £10 mill+ I'll flip.

I'm praying that they do sign him and as soon as possible.The price really is irrelevent to me.Its the one area where I think United are really weak,and hes the sort of player they are crying out for,and seems to be the best of what is available at the moment.

Carrick is looking out of his depth and his partnership with Scholes isnt balanced at all.Scholes and Hargreaves in the centre of midfield would look so much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Whens he back from his broken leg?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

For the money being talked about, Barton or Parker would be much better targets than Hargreaves. They're probably better players, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

U seemingly forget how well he has played for Bayern over the years and his was englands best midfielder in the world cup ..outshining gerrard and lampard who would cost 20-30 million each to buy if they were available. Its man utd were takling about here, he is gonna cost double what other clubs would pay for him. Clubs with money-Manu,chelsea and even newcastle get done when it comes to paying over the odds for players ie Carrick, essien and martins. I dont care how much they have to pay for him as his the best available and its the only position we need strengtening this season but hopefully rumours of Heinz included in the deal are just that as he is the best defensive left back in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

smuckers wrote:
    Liverpool- Ashley Young, Benayoun?
    God I hope that happens...... well the second part at least, I think he is a great player. What about Paul Konchesky to liverpool but out of the blue but hey.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

TonyD79 wrote:
    U seemingly forget how well he has played for Bayern over the years and his was englands best midfielder in the world cup ..outshining gerrard and lampard who would cost 20-30 million each to buy if they were available. Its man utd were takling about here, he is gonna cost double what other clubs would pay for him. Clubs with money-Manu,chelsea and even newcastle get done when it comes to paying over the odds for players ie Carrick, essien and martins. I dont care how much they have to pay for him as his the best available and its the only position we need strengtening this season but hopefully rumours of Heinz included in the deal are just that as he is the best defensive left back in the world.
    He was decent at the World Cup, nothing more. Gerrard and Lampard were absolute ****, so bettering them was hardly an improvement. To most people (not me), he got singled out for praise merely because he wasn't as piss poor as they thought he would be. United could do better elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Barry Ferguson (transfer listed yesterday) to Man United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Hargreaves to United ??
    Neill to Pool ??
    Upson to Cheski ??
    D Bent to Spurs ??
    sundula wrote:
    Barry Ferguson (transfer listed yesterday) to Man United

:eek:

Trilla wrote:
    Hargreaves to United ??
    Neill to Pool ??
    Upson to Cheski ??
    D Bent to Spurs ??

Hargreaves is Very overated and United will probably have to spend over 10mil to get him. 3-5mil would be fairer. I have no doubt he would play his heart out in England and run around firing in challenges, something similar to a headless chicken. Off course the Man U will spin it that he is the "combative stone wall, box to box, tough tackling, leader type" which they require much the same as they said about Smith when they magically converted him to the new Keano. In my opinion Man U should save 10mil + and just stick Smith back there if their so convinced about his quality.

Upson is not up to the Chelsea/Arsenal/Man U standard

Neill - if Rovers get 1mil+ they should sell him. He is playing at a Club which bests suits his quality (i am a Blackburn fan). Max Clifford must be doing his PR because i cant believe Barca were ever interested in him and Liverpool would be mad to sign him. He can do some stupid things ( nearly cost us Boro game)

Darren Bent would be a good signing for Spurs, as long as the fee was realistic and if they could off load Mido. But Charlton might as well accept relegation if they sell him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

It should be intresting to see where young Stokes ends up by the end of the month. He has left Falkirk and is back with Arsenal but wont be staying there for long. I wonder will he go on loan to a Premiership team i.e. Fulham or Charlton both off who are looking for a striker or will Arsenal take the quick buck i.e. the reported 1 million Sunderland seem happy to pay.

He might have been better stayin in Falkirk for the season but it wont happen.
    16 goals in the SPL 3 hat tricks and 3 young player of the month awards not bad :rolleyes:

woodyg wrote:
    It should be intresting to see where young Stokes ends up by the end of the month. He has left Falkirk and is back with Arsenal but wont be staying there for long. I wonder will he go on loan to a Premiership team i.e. Fulham or Charlton both off who are looking for a striker or will Arsenal take the quick buck i.e. the reported 1 million Sunderland seem happy to pay.

He might have been better stayin in Falkirk for the season but it wont happen.
    16 goals in the SPL 3 hat tricks and 3 young player of the month awards not bad :rolleyes:

Fulham are apparently getting Montella and Clint Dempsey.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Leeds are signing Tor Andre Flo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

The Clint Dempsey deal i heard was nearly complete, as for Montella i can see him landing some where on Loan but not out side of Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

Kingp35 wrote:
    Leeds are signing Tor Andre Flo!

And David Healy is on the way out the door by all accounts .... Not a great move IMO

• Advertisement

Mad Dog wrote:
    And David Healy is on the way out the door by all accounts .... Not a great move IMO

Any word on where to?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Mad Dog wrote:

Depends, Healy has been useless this season but he does have talent. I think Wise will give him another couple of weeks before deciding to let him go or not. He did score yesterday, his first goal in ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭bbbbb

speculation on the different premiership clubs from the bbc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Bale and Upson would do nicely. Taylor alongside Upson sounds dreamy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Sligo Rovers to sign a striker - any striker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

Would love to see Barton in a Utd jersey, think he could complete the jigsaw for this season, but cant see it happening though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Barton seems set to stay at City, I havn't seen enough of him to make a good judgement on him, but reports about him are quit egood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

PHB wrote:
    Barton seems set to stay at City, I havn't seen enough of him to make a good judgement on him, but reports about him are quit egood.

I think hes a bit of a thug although he does have talent.

Hargreaves looks inevitable,if not this month then in the summer.

We need him badly.I know hes not everyones cup of tea but I cant see anybody else out there that could be available and who I'd prefer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

PHB wrote:

Quite good is a bit of an understatement. The guy is absolutely brilliant. A driving midfielder who gets forward and scores goals. Unfortunately for you lot according to his programme notes yesterday he's staying put. He had a nice pop at Lamps and Stevie G too saying they couldn't play together for England and he's the man to do it. Couldn't agree more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭edson

ac milan have signed leandro grimi, an argentinean defender, check him out on www.goal.com
    carlo ancelotti confirmed this www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/news/jan3f.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

Barry Fergson is linked to West Ham didn't do a lot at Blackburn so why would he do well there? According to the BBC Gareth Bale is linked to just about everyone so he must be as good as Mr Joe Soap says he is. SWP is to be sold at half price which is about £10million to much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Gill predicts low key monthReds' chief executive David Gill doesn't expect United to be doing much business during the January transfer window, but he has not ruled out a move for Owen Hargreaves.

The Bayern Munich midfielder was first linked with a switch to Old Trafford last summer when he publicly stated his desire to join United. Gill did his utmost to broker a deal but the German club proved stubborn negotiaters and refused to budge on the transfer.

Last week, Sir Alex Ferguson told Manchester United Radio that the club were "looking at one thing" when asked about bringing in potential transfer targets this month.

Gill insists there is money available but is not expecting much of it to be spent until the summer months.

"The money is there but traditionally we do most of our big spending in the summer and I think that will continue," he told Manchester United Radio.

"Things may change; if there's an area in which we want to do something then we'll do it. But at the moment we don't plan to do a great deal.

"We've already brought in Henrik Larsson, while a number of the players who have been out on loan are also back at the club.

"I think we all know the area in which we want to strengthen," added Gill, seemingly in reference to Hargreaves. "But I'm not going to comment on that."

from ManUtd.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Ok this is probably complete bull but apparently Defoe is staying in a hotel near Villa Park and is set to sign for Villa, as I say probably bull buts a rumour spreading on a Villa chat site

Keane has done well with £1.4m Carlos Edwards from Luton, and as expected two of the "film stars" have already left the North-East. Lawrence to Stoke and Alnwick to Spurs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

kinaldo wrote:
    Great signing. 6 goals this season in 7 starts. Most Roma fans can't understand why he hasn't been given a chance this season. Mido did ok at Spurs while Nonda is doing well at Blackburn. Roma just giving away decent strikers and Montella is the best of the lot.

"Mascherano begs for exit" Skysports.com

Surely Man U should take a punt and see if they can get him till the end of the season. After seeing David Gill on TV yesterday its clear they dont really want to spend cash till summer. Mascherano would give them centre midfield cover and surely a loan wouldnt be risky. And if he couldnt motivate himself to compete at Man U then he should pack his bags and skip off to some for relaxed footballing country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

Saw on Sky news early AM today that SWP is on his way to West Ham for £9.8m on the back of one of the British red tops so this must be true ;)

Manchester too cold for Javier Id say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

sundula wrote:

Surely Man U should take a punt and see if they can get him till the end of the season.

Beeb says:
    Fifa rules state that one footballer cannot play for more than two clubs between 1 July and the end of the following June - and Mascherano has already turned out for Brazilian side Corinthians and West Ham since last summer.

However, national associations are able to apply to Fifa for a dispensation - potentially opening the way for Mascherano to end his frustrating stay at Upton Park.
    irish1 wrote:
    Ok this is probably complete bull but apparently Defoe is staying in a hotel near Villa Park and is set to sign for Villa, as I say probably bull buts a rumour spreading on a Villa chat site

Its bull. Same way the "Defoe is staying in a hotel near John Lennon International, signing for Pool" during the Summer was bull.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

http://home.skysports.com/transferarticle.aspx?hlid=439228
    Funniest story I have ever seen in my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Trilla wrote:
    Was this guy not supposed to be the solution to United's problem in central midfield?

The new Bryan Robson? ;)
    I fail to see the humour. Crouch could more than cut it in Serie B.

Judging by his showing in international games and the CL this year Italian football could suit him down to the ground. He'll never be a 25 goals a year man but he adds a hell of a lot to any team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I laughed a lot and was comming here to post it
    maybe juventus have noticed how the big target man has come back to popularity recently in italy with a number of big players concidered adverage a few years ago becoming some of the top scorers in Seire A Toni,Bonazzoli,Riagano, Lucarelli and others and crouch wouldnt be that disimilar so maybe him making it in Italy shouldnt be concidered such a joke but I dont personaly think he would do well its been a long time since an english striker did well in Italy and I dont think crouch would be the one to buck the trend.

Was this guy not supposed to be the solution to United's problem in central midfield?

The new Bryan Robson?

He'll be in the premiership next year, and you'll see how good he is. I expect him at a top 6 club within 3 years, then bought by a top club a couple of years after that.

PHB wrote:
    He'll be in the premiership next year, and you'll see how good he is. I expect him at a top 6 club within 3 years, then bought by a top club a couple of years after that.

Maybe he is just another Luke Chadwick ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Vicenzo Montella to Fulham on a 6 month loan deal. Quality signing for Fulham, Roma are foolish for letting him go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

PHB wrote:
    Six months ago you said he would be a part of United's central midfield, a team that currently sit on top of the table, now he is playing Championship football.

You shouldn't nail your colours to the post with such (perceived) certainty, because almost all of the time it makes you look like you don't have a notion of what actually goes on.

Collins John on the move?
    You shouldn't nail your colours to the post with such (perceived) certainty

McNallys comments on Balaban spring to mind!

You shouldn't nail your colours to the post with such (perceived) certainty, because almost all of the time it makes you look like you don't have a notion of what actually goes on.

I can live with that, I'm still absolutely gobsmacked that he hasn't been given a chance for United this year in central midfield, especially considering the preformances of O'Shea. I can't explain why Fergie persists on playing O'Shea ahead of him, and I doubt most people could either.

He is now at Derby, who are 2nd in the league. He has played 9 games already there, is part of the first team, and are looking likely to go up. When they do, he will shine in the premiership, I've no doubt about it. Giving you a tip for fantasy football for next year :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement