Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jan Transfer thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

You shouldn't nail your colours to the post with such (perceived) certainty, because almost all of the time it makes you look like you don't have a notion of what actually goes on.

For me PHB's defining moment was this: "John O'Shea is a great player and a very important player for the future of Ireland and Manchester United."

Anyway, rumours on the peninsula is that Heinze and Man U have agreed a deal for a switch to Milan. While we are on the topic Inter have refused an option on Beckham (shows how far his stock has fallen) while Massimo Oddo is on his way to Milan. So a right and left full in the Jan window for the Rossoneri. Also on milans raidar is Vincenzo Iaquinta and Marco DiViao. The crouch rumour may not be pure bull. There are serious rumours around Italy saying that Juve are looking at Crouch for a summer move should Trez leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

PHB wrote:
    I can live with that, I'm still absolutely gobsmacked that he hasn't been given a chance for United this year in central midfield, especially considering the preformances of O'Shea. I can't explain why Fergie persists on playing O'Shea ahead of him, and I doubt most people could either.

To be honsest PHB I saw him play 4 times... 3 times with United and he lucked very average. Two of the times I saw him Richie Jones out played him in CM, I think they were league cup games. Maybe I caught him at bad times, but he didnt look special to me. He's 22, very weak looking, this vision and touch on the ball he's supposed to have just wasnt there.

You could be right about him, and I hope not for Uniteds sake, but from what I saw of him he's average. I thought Healy was going to be the next best thing, as I did of Terry Cooke, Keith Gillespie and Luke Chadwick. It looks to me that he falls into that bracket more so then the Butts and Beckhams of this world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

For me PHB's defining moment was this: "John O'Shea is a great player and a very important player for the future of Ireland and Manchester United."

I still stand by that, I think he will develop into the new Phil Neville, who was very important for United, see the CL final in 99.

To be honsest PHB I saw him play 4 times... 3 times with United and he lucked very average. Two of the times I saw him Richie Jones out played him in CM, I think they were league cup games. Maybe I caught him at bad times, but he didnt look special to me. He's 22, very weak looking, this vision and touch on the ball he's supposed to have just wasnt there.

He was woeful in those games in the cup, woeful, but so was the rest of the team. His preformances for NEC last year were what convinced me he is going to make it, where he outpreformed Sniejder for the part of the season he was there.
    Obvioulsy if you don't take the chances your given, so be it, but I still feel Fergie should have kept him and used him instead of O'Shea to give him a real chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

I am not a Man U fan and i dont particularlly like SAF. But with regards to the Man U youth setup and who they keep, Butt, Giggs, Beck, Scholes, Nevilles and who they let go, Cooke, Chadlick, Pugh, Jones, Healy,Thornley etc etc I dont see that he has made to many mistakes.
    And I certainly dont remember any youth player they let go coming back to bite him in the ass.

There is always alot a talk about United youths - probably to much, but that is because of their previous sucess, however alot of the lads which came through since are very average and were rightly let go. Lets face it they all usually get plenty of time/oppotunities to show what they have got before the door closes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

PHB wrote:
    I still stand by that, I think he will develop into the new Phil Neville, who was very important for United, see the CL final in 99.

but I still feel Fergie should have kept him and used him instead of O'Shea to give him a real chance.

is that not a bit contradictory?

o shea should be kept as he will develop, (he's nearly 26), yet jones should start ahead of him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

PHB wrote:
    I can live with that
    I should hope so, because it's only every other week that you come on and claim something will happen, or X will be a superstar, only for it to fall flat on it's face.
    PHB wrote:
    I'm still absolutely gobsmacked that he hasn't been given a chance for United this year in central midfield, especially considering the preformances of O'Shea.
    I'm not, considering you were the one that tipped him for greatness.
    PHB wrote:
    He is now at Derby, who are 2nd in the league. He has played 9 games already there, is part of the first team, and are looking likely to go up. When they do, he will shine in the premiership, I've no doubt about it. Giving you a tip for fantasy football for next year :P
    There you go again, not only will Derby definitely go up, he will definitely shine in the Premiership.

Now they may and he may, but why come on and state it as fact where it is just your (biased) opinion? You only leave yourself open to ridicule.

For your sake, I hope you are not a betting man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I was going to have a punt on derby for promotion)even to win it), but aftr reading PHB's words of encouragement i might avoid it.

is that not a bit contradictory?

o shea should be kept as he will develop, (he's nearly 26), yet jones should start ahead of him?

Yeh, in central midfield. Jones should be given his chance ahead of him, because he has the potential to be a lot better than O'Shea, but O'Shea is still important.

O'Shea will continue to develop, he is a squad player, who can do a job for United in about 5 different positions, very important to have.
    Now they may and he may, but why come on and state it as fact where it is just your (biased) opinion? You only leave yourself open to ridicule.

What, from you? Of course my opinion is biased, just like yours. That said, I can argue my opinion, while you're willing to just dismiss it because it comes from me.
    Sure I may be wrong, but I don't think I am.
    When I say, Ronaldo will become a top class player, you think i'm stating it as if it's inevitable, set in stone, an absolute.

If I don't prefix all my statements with I think, are you not able to understand that it's an opinion.

Tell ya what, so you can understand me, imagine that at the start of every post I make, I say, in my opinion.
    For your sake, I hope you are not a betting man.

I am, it's cause I put my money where my mouth is (except for United, I never bet on United, the heart is just too strong).
    I won in total 450 quid last year, most of it on Italy in the WC.

PHB wrote:
    What, from you? Of course my opinion is biased, just like yours. That said, I can argue my opinion, while you're willing to just dismiss it because it comes from me.
    Yes just from me :rolleyes:

Look, I'm not having a go at you, more trying to encourage you to lay off coming out with hugely speculative opinions as pure fact, as it makes you look foolish. But if you want to continue, be my guest.
    PHB wrote:
    Sure I may be wrong, but I don't think I am.
    You don't ever seem to think you're wrong. Even when a 22 year old with no first team experience gets sold down a division, and will still turn out to be world class. But you fight that fight.
    PHB wrote:
    When I say, Ronaldo will become a top class player, you think i'm stating it as if it's inevitable, set in stone, an absolute.

If I don't prefix all my statements with I think, are you not able to understand that it's an opinion.

Tell ya what, so you can understand me, imagine that at the start of every post I make, I say, in my opinion.
    Perhaps I'll just rise above your posts and stop replying. I'd put you on ignore but I'd rather continue to view what you say in the hope I can keep my mouth shut.
    PHB wrote:
    I am, it's cause I put my money where my mouth is (except for United, I never bet on United, the heart is just too strong).
    I won in total 450 quid last year, most of it on Italy in the WC.
    I'm not interested in your winnings. I used the betting man thing as a figure of speech.

I'm sure if you laid a fiver on all the things you claimed would come true you'd nearly reverse that €450 two times over.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I fail to see the humour. Crouch could more than cut it in Serie B.

Judging by his showing in international games and the CL this year Italian football could suit him down to the ground. He'll never be a 25 goals a year man but he adds a hell of a lot to any team.

What does he add to a team?
    Laughs?
    He couldnt cut it in Serie B. He cant cut it in the premiership. He couldnt cut bread with a bread knife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

:rolleyes:

Mike.

Laughs?
    He couldnt cut it in Serie B. He cant cut it in the premiership. He couldnt cut bread with a bread knife.
    Sorry you are right. Crouch added nothing to the Liverpool team last year, he was no foil for Gerrard to make bursting runs into the box and notch 20+ goals. His own 4 goals had nothing to do with Liverpool progressing to the knock-out stages of the CL this year.

Peter Crouch adds nothing to a team, in fact, I think he takes away. Rafa Benitez should be sacked and they should replace him with you.

Well while we're all postcount++ing
    I :rolleyes: your :rolleyes: buddy.
    Seriously though. I think he is one of the least talented England internationals that there is. He just seems to be one of the least naturally skilled players I have ever encountered, and his continual inclusion on the teamsheet is a complete mystery to me.

Well while we're all postcount++ing
    I :rolleyes: your :rolleyes: buddy.
    Yes that is what I am doing.
    Seriously though. I think he is one of the least talented England internationals that there is. He just seems to be one of the least naturally skilled players I have ever encountered
    Well if that is the case go out and watch him before making ridiculous statements. If anything his skill and technique are one of his strong points.

Did you not see the volley he scored at the weekend? I would put that in the "skillful" category myself.
    and his continual inclusion on the teamsheet is a complete mystery to me.
    He is definitely Liverpool's, and also England's top scorer this year if I'm not mistaken.

Are you still mystified?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Not skilled? He's better on the ground (ie with the ball at his feet) imo nd don't forget those spectacular goals! Timber!

• Advertisement

I saw the volley. Reckoned he looked about as graceful as a man in a turkey suit slipping on a banana.

I saw the volley. Reckoned he looked about as graceful as a man in a turkey suit slipping on a banana.
    While your similes are utterly hilarious, it was a sweet strike and ended up in the back of the net.

Q.E.D.

But by all means, if you have some valid points to back up your claims please let us know.

I appreciate your sincere compliments on my simile.
    Well obviously mr. Crouch means a lot to you.
    I will leave you to your false Idol, but rest assured history and the cruel memory of man will eventually prove I the victor in this clash of opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

When a team plays to Crouchs strengths, as Southampton did in the season we were relegated, he is quite a decent striker.

He did score us a great number of goals in a relatively small number of games that season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Laughs?

Hes Liverpools top scorer this season with 10 goals. Hes scored 4 goals in the champions league this season which is second only to Kaka, Morientes & Drogba (all on 5 I think). Look at his goal scoring record for England as well, 10 or 11 goals in 16 games!!

Who cares if a player looks graceful, this isnt gymnastics. Your comments are idiotic.

• Advertisement

Well obviously mr. Crouch means a lot to you.
    I will leave you to your false Idol, but rest assured history and the cruel memory of man will eventually prove I the victor in this clash of opinion.
    No he doesn't. And he is not my idol either.

You're comments, and inability to support your argument with any substance, lead me to question as to why you are on the internet.

Do you not have homework to do?

He wouldn't be the first on the internet unable to argue that's for sure!

Chris Bascombe on Lucas Neill and Javier Mascherano to Liverpool

He is often right being the Reds man on the Echo.

Mike.

If fail to see why RB would be after Mascherano with Alonso, Gerrard, Sissoko and Zenden all able to play CM.

Loan cover! Its a no-risk move for Rafa and gives Mascherano a shop window - he could play in the Barca games. Zenden is a squad player while I take the point about Sissoko/Alonso/Gerrard. Still it is no risk so worth seeing what happens.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Mascherano woul be cup-tied though, because of the West Ham - Palermo UEFA Cup ties, no? Wouldn't be much use to Liverpool.

Look, I'm not having a go at you, more trying to encourage you to lay off coming out with hugely speculative opinions as pure fact, as it makes you look foolish.

You don't ever seem to think you're wrong. Even when a 22 year old with no first team experience gets sold down a division, and will still turn out to be world class. But you fight that fight.

I will, thanks for the support.

reports in the paper and news say stokes is gone to charlton for €4.1million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

According to Chris Bascombe there is a new rule this year in relation to being cup-tied for the Champions League.

"new rules state at least one player in a squad list who's played in the UEFA Cup can also feature in the premier competition"

Anyone hear anything similar? The "at least" bit of the quote above makes no sense to me, but he's hardly making it all up.

• Advertisement

What I think is idiotic is the ridiculous gang up above. I mean big deal, I didnt have time to post a quotient argument yesterday as to why I think that Peter Crouch sucks and why I think you are incorrect in your assumptions.
    You know I have work to do.
    And to suggest that I cannot argue just because I didnt get back to you within, what, a day is merely stroking your own ego, and the equivalent of the two lads jumping in above, what is that, one of ye hold me down, while the other two pummel in? Thats a bit playschool lads isnt it? Your pathetic comments above were fair uncalled for dont you think?
    So lets look at Crouchys record. You're saying, he hit the ball, and it went in the goal, QED he's a genius. I have seen that goal a number of times, and lets be honest, yes he did keep it low, but it was a hit and hope that came off. Many a time he has shaved the corner flag with numerous attampts at goal similar to that.
    He also has surprisingly few assists for a striker that is supposed to be a good reader of the game and a good facilitator of goals.
    He also has a a shockingly high number of failed passes if you want to have a look at the stats, which Im sure you will, in the pedantic fashion of this thread.
    He sticks out like a sore thumb up front at liverpool, but then at least they have a long history of playing useless strikers over and over again for no reason.
    And as for his england tally. Lets look at the quality opposition he has scored against for england will we?
    Let me see....
    Could it have been a hat trick against Jamaica in a friendly that helped his goal tally so much? 2 against greece? 2 against Andorra? 1 against Macedonia? Trinidad and Tobago anyone? These are the best defences in the world he is beating, week in, week out huh?
    For a striker thats been around a long time he has yet to prove himself as any sort of a big game player or in any major match. And to be honest, I dont see why I should have to back up my opinion to ward off a bunch of anonymous insults on an internet forum from blinkered fans refusing to accept that the jury is still out on their "messiah", even though this fact is brought up week in, week out on either MOTD, the Red-top rags or any footie discussion thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Boa Morte gone to West Ham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

SofaKing wrote:
    Mascherano woul be cup-tied though, because of the West Ham - Palermo UEFA Cup ties, no? Wouldn't be much use to Liverpool.

Mascherano can't play for Liverpool in any competition unless FIFA allow a dispensation, he's already played for two clubs between July 1 and June 30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Roddy23 wrote:

£5m for a 29 year old who's a decent player but not having a great season...

Screams desperation..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Roddy23 wrote:

Thats a great signing imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Pardew says the 7million price in the media, a reported Spurs bid, is to low. Sounds like they would sell if the price was right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Thats a great signing imo.
    Fulham got Montella who's probably better anyway. It's only a loan but Montella won't be going back to Roma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

eirebhoy wrote:
    Fulham got Montella who's probably better anyway. It's only a loan but Montella won't be going back to Roma.
    The Boa Morte transfer was a surprise, everyone thought it was Collins John who would have been leaving. Still, Fulham will be pleased, Boa Morte has been brutal this season.

The Boa Morte transfer was a surprise, everyone thought it was Collins John who would have been leaving. Still, Fulham will be pleased, Boa Morte has been brutal this season.

john has rejected a move to watford

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Bayern Munich will consider selling Owen Hargreaves to Manchester United - but not for less than £20m.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/6234501.stm

He wasn't even a bloody regular for Bayern before the World cup.

£20m for Hargreaves? When did he become such a great player? He was the best of a bad lot at the WC if anything...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Mascherano can't play for Liverpool in any competition unless FIFA allow a dispensation, he's already played for two clubs between July 1 and June 30.

Despite suggestions Mascherano can't play for three clubs in the same season, in fact, he's only played for one during this campaign.

The South American season ended on December 31, 2005, before Mascherano joined West Ham in the summer of 2006.

However, any move would still have to be ratified by FIFA.

Acording to chris bascombe in the article.

17million for hargreeves is comcical, so is 15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Mascherano played in this game on July 30th and some other games in August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Why the hell are United persisting with this Hargreaves chase? They could get a much better player in Scott Parker for the same money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Why the hell are United persisting with this Hargreaves chase? They could get a much better player in Scott Parker for the same money.

Heaven forbid...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

SofaKing wrote:

Ahem
    Fifa look ready to scupper Liverpool's attempt to sign Javier Mascherano on a loan deal, despite reports indicating that the Argentinian midfielder is close to a move to Merseyside.
    Now a spokesman for the governing body has confirmed that the rules will not be broken to facilitate Mascherano's potential move to Merseyside.

"The rules are very clear. Article 5.3 states that, although a player can be registered for a maximum of three clubs during the period from 1st July to 30th June, he is only eligible to play in official matches for two clubs in this period," a Fifa spokesman told The Times.

"In the case of Mascherano or [Carlos] Tevez, they have already played for Corinthians and West Ham United.

"The rule is binding. It cannot be deactivated just because it suits the clubs and the player in a certain instance.

"These rules were drawn up to protect the interests of players and clubs and to provide more stability in football.

"If a case was formally submitted to the Fifa bodies, then of course the Fifa bodies would look at it, but the view from our legal department is very clear that the regulations cannot be broken."

So how are the scousers going to get him to play for them? Go on another whingefest like they did to get into the CL when they finished fifth in the Premier league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

SofaKing wrote:
    Mascherano played in this game on July 30th and some other games in August.

Indeed, his last appearance for Corinthians was Aug 22 against Botafogo in the Brazilian Championship.

Seems Mr Bascombe would be better served brushing up on his research than being the Reds inside man at the Echo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

Ahem
    Fifa look ready to scupper Liverpool's attempt to sign Javier Mascherano on a loan deal, despite reports indicating that the Argentinian midfielder is close to a move to Merseyside.
    Now a spokesman for the governing body has confirmed that the rules will not be broken to facilitate Mascherano's potential move to Merseyside.

"The rules are very clear. Article 5.3 states that, although a player can be registered for a maximum of three clubs during the period from 1st July to 30th June, he is only eligible to play in official matches for two clubs in this period," a Fifa spokesman told The Times.

"In the case of Mascherano or [Carlos] Tevez, they have already played for Corinthians and West Ham United.

"The rule is binding. It cannot be deactivated just because it suits the clubs and the player in a certain instance.

"These rules were drawn up to protect the interests of players and clubs and to provide more stability in football.

"If a case was formally submitted to the Fifa bodies, then of course the Fifa bodies would look at it, but the view from our legal department is very clear that the regulations cannot be broken."

So how are the scousers going to get him to play for them? Go on another whingefest like they did to get into the CL when they finished fifth in the Premier league?
    no they will argue that this is against eu law etc by preventing masc from working where he wants to

• Advertisement
Advertisement