Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jan Transfer thread

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Okay if its not on its not on, maybe it was never really on (Rafa signs Henry while everyone is looking the other way!).

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Surely Mascherano would be discouraged by his time in England and would want to get out as soon as...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I've heard Mascherano to Pool is a done deal, with Liverpool's legal team confident they can find a way to circumvent FIFA's rule.

I expect the FA and PL will row in behind Liverpool, but if FIFA want to play hardball, can't they suspend the FA and all its representatives in the event of a legal challenge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Doesnt that quote from FIFA just say that as it stands, the move cannnot be done, but Liverpool can ask for dispensation?

Not sure why there's such an interest in Macherano anyway, to be honest. Central midfield is our strongest position by far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Gerrard moved back onto the right...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

as far as I know the Argentine FA have asked for dispensation, which they are more than entitled to do in this case on the grounds that as he is frozen out its damaging the players future prospects. Chances are FIFA will allow this.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

I've heard Mascherano to Pool is a done deal, with Liverpool's legal team confident they can find a way to circumvent FIFA's rule.

I expect the FA and PL will row in behind Liverpool, but if FIFA want to play hardball, can't they suspend the FA and all its representatives in the event of a legal challenge?

Why bother. Its not as if Liverpool are short and its not as if he is setting the world on fire. If they could bring him in on loan with out hassle and legal challenges against the sports ruling body then fair enough. But if the rule is set in stone and Fifa say no then I cant see how he is worth the hassle. Two different managers at W Ham and neither seem to rate him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd like to know if Liverpool are buying him or getting him on loan from MSI, anyone heard anything about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

PHB wrote:
    I'd like to know if Liverpool are buying him or getting him on loan from MSI, anyone heard anything about this?

Someone said in another thread we are buying him from MSI, but i dont know. I presume that is correct, we will either buy him now or in the summer. I cant see us trying this hard just to get him on loan so we can say goodbye to him in the summer.

I dont know why we are signing him, we have enough midfielders and i dont know if he is that good. I dont like the baggage of the MSI deal either, if we sign him we should be buying out the MSI contract.

Also, i am now a bit worried that the reason we are buying him is because Alonso might be going back to spain.

Well the thing is, MSI bought him for an investment, and he cost like 15 million euro in his inital move to Corinithans, so I'd imagine MSI must have bought him for more, which means Liverpool will have to buy him for what, 20-25 million sterling at least?

• Advertisement

Well for that kind of money its not worth it. Alonso had said more than once recently he has no interest in leaving and as he's Rafas prize player since he took charge I doubt he'd want to sell him.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

PHB wrote:
    Well the thing is, MSI bought him for an investment, and he cost like 15 million euro in his inital move to Corinithans, so I'd imagine MSI must have bought him for more, which means Liverpool will have to buy him for what, 20-25 million sterling at least?

Well there's no way we will be paying that, so it must be the same deal as chelsea.

But i still dont quite understand it, when he signs a contract with liverpool who still owns him? If barca come in and want to buy him for 20 million or whatever, liverpool say no buy MSI say yes what happens?

Or is their a clause in his contract stating that MSI get to accept or reject ransfer bids for him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Smertin to West Ham is close to being confirmed apparently. I think it'll be a good signing for the Hammers, he's definitely better than the likes of Hayden Mullins. I'm not at all convinced that they need Boa Morte though.

Well there's no way we will be paying that, so it must be the same deal as chelsea.

But i still dont quite understand it, when he signs a contract with liverpool who still owns him? If barca come in and want to buy him for 20 million or whatever, liverpool say no buy MSI say yes what happens?

Or is their a clause in his contract stating that MSI get to accept or reject ransfer bids for him?

I really don't know. I know Juve just turned him down because of contract problems, and Fergie said a while ago he wouldn't take them on due to the contract obligations.

My understanding of it is that they are currently owned by MSI, and MSI loan them out to clubs at a fee. The clubs pay their wages and the fee, and then have the option to buy them at a set price (which I think was 35 million sterling)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I think it was £40 million or so. But then again it wouldn't be the first time that the press added on another £5 million or so.

Wherever Mascherano and Tevez go, this whole MSI thing stinks to high heaven. I don't like the way that this kind of thing is going. Already we have hedge funds (and worse) looking at buying stakes in premeriership players. It has been mooted recently, not a good move for football IMO.

They're only looking for a quick buck, human trafficking in another form.

I don't think it will take large scale, just because it can only happen with big big names, and in countries with major clubs already existing, the big clubs will get there first.
    It can only really happen in countries like South America, where the range of talent is so big, but the amount of major clubs is quite small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Smertin is limited, but he's a good honest pro and he'll put in a decent shift in the attempt to keep the Hammers up, which is more than can be said about a lot of the current squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Phil Bardsley will join Villa on loan for the rest of the season on Monday with an option to buy.

PHB wrote:
    It can only really happen in countries like South America, where the range of talent is so big, but the amount of major clubs is quite small.

Private ownership of players was the norm in Serbia until 2001, contracts often being held by underworld figures who exerted pressure on "their" players to influence the outcome of games.

FIFA should ban the practise outright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mike65 wrote:
    Loan cover! Its a no-risk move for Rafa and gives Mascherano a shop window - he could play in the Barca games. Zenden is a squad player while I take the point about Sissoko/Alonso/Gerrard. Still it is no risk so worth seeing what happens.

Mike.

But he's moaning about not getting football at West ham, whats th epoint in ccoming to Liverpool as cover?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Stekelly wrote:
    But he's moaning about not getting football at West ham, whats th epoint in ccoming to Liverpool as cover?

Liverpool have nicer seats on the benches

????????!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mike65 wrote:
    ????????!

Mike.

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Not a hope in hell. Baros is a bag of ****e theres no way CHelsea would even look at him. Theres plenty of strikers they could buy thta might
    actually grab a goal or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

That is a weird one. However when you look at how well he plays with Koller on the Czech team, part of me thinks he could do the same with Drogba.

• Advertisement

Story in the Sunday Times (online) that Defoe to Chelsea in exchange for SWP (plus possible cash) is a goer.

Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Story in the Sunday Times (online) that Defoe to Chelsea in exchange for SWP (plus possible cash) is a goer.

Link
    Sounds like a non-deal for me, I mean how many times do you actually see these swap deals happening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Baros's agent is the one providing this story, Villa want SWP but hard to believe Chelsea want Baros????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

irish1 wrote:
    Baros's agent is the one providing this story, Villa want SWP but hard to believe Chelsea want Baros????

Jaysus that would be a strange one if it happens, great deal for Villa................ if it happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Trilla wrote:

And Ben Thatcher to replace him at Charlton. Happy f**kin days!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

The board of Bohemian Football Club accepted a third and much improved offer from Wolverhampton Wanderers this evening (yest.) for Bohemians striker Stephen Ward.

Stephen is now in England discussing personal terms with Wolves.

Reports that the deal could be worth up to €325,000 - bit of a step up from the Kevin Doyle bargain of the century.

http://www.bohemian-fc.com/home/club_news/bohs_receive_record_transfer_bid_for_ward/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Mvuemba on loan to Portsmouth

He has lots of potential. If Pompey can get him permanently, could turn out to be a good signing.

Portsmouth seem to be snapping lots of potentially good young Midfielders lately - Krancjar, Fernandes, etc..

Djimi to Harrysworld is a suprise.

Mike.

David Dunn to Blackburn completed.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

from bbc deadline page

2307: "He can't walk, he's not OK," is Jose Mourinho's blunt assessment of Ashley Cole. But the self-styled Special One is not going to go into the market for a replacement left-back. "The supermarket is closed," he said. Hope not. There's no milk in the fridge tonight and the loo roll's running thin at home.

Last days notable trading

Alvaro Arbeloa [Deportivo La Coruna - Liverpool] £2.6m
    Michael Ball [PSV Eindhoven - Manchester City] Undisclosed
    Michael Duberry [Stoke - Reading] Undisclosed
    Francisco Manuel Duran [Real Malaga - Liverpool] Undisclosed
    Manuel Fernandes [Benfica - Everton] Loan
    Jonathan Fortune [Charlton - Stoke] Loan
    P Hartley [Hearts - Celtic] Undisc
    Geoff Horsfield [Sheff Utd - Leicester] Loan
    Russell Hoult [West Brom - Stoke] Free
    Kevan Hurst [Sheffield United - Scunthorpe] Loan
    David Thompson [Portsmouth - Bolton]
    John Thompson [Nottm Forest - Tranmere] Loan
    Matthew Upson [Birmingham - West Ham] £6m

Mike.

Martin O'Neill has confirmed that Moloney will hopefully sign before the deadline and there are rumours Villa may get another one too but I doubt that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Jan Transfer? Is he that big centre back at Ajax?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Matthew Upson must get his career advice from Nicolas Anelka.

• Advertisement

Birmingham sign midfielder Gary Dicker on a six-month loan from Irish side University College Dublin. He joins former UCD team-mate Pat Kavanagh at the Blues.

Anyone know anything about this fella?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

He went to my school! weird. bit of a scumbag i thought but he cant be too bad.

Advertisement