Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are these called, and what sort of parts are needed?

Options
  • 01-01-2007 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

hello all

this is my first post in the models section.. i just watched this video and want in :D:D

http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-3653155444625739714&hl=en

the square type planes (2 minutes into the vid) in that look really fun to learn with and they seem to be made from cheap and cheerful parts so its not the end of the world when you crash... i have some parts lying around the house here.. i have a motor, a transmitter and a 2 channel reciever, also 2 servos and a think for regulating the voltage going to the motor.. also a big rc car battery.. i know some of this stuff would be too heavy to make one of these planes but can anyone give me any into? are these a common model for plane modelers and is there any guides to building them? i cant search google cos i dont know that these planes are called.. anyway enjoy the vid.. i did :D

Mack

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Google "flats" or 3d planes, thats what there called(I think).
    I would think none of the parts you have are useful for this plane, you will need a 4 channell radio anyway and micro servos, then the battery, well that has to be really small. At the end it will be dear enough. The link there is probly the cheapest place you can get up and flying but you will have to get the radio and reciver here because of the frequancys:rolleyes:
    Link.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

.... i dont know that these planes are called.. anyway enjoy the vid.. i did :D Mack
    The planes are made from depron.
    Most are "3D planes". They are not being flown by beginners because 3D is right up there in expertise.
    For example what a flyer can begin doing when he is on his 3rd or 4th model, (or sometimes later in the flying career).
    Also .... flying indoors is harder to do than flying outdoors ... with all flying you can hit the ground - however if you put walls round your model you are bound to hit stationary objects more often. :p

Depron can be used to make beginners flying models too. And beginners models made from depron will fly indoors eg in a gymnasium.

If you look at the slope soaring link in my signature you will see depron models (and others too)and free downloadable plans to make them from, if that is what you want to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

yeah, they do look fun/easy to make/fly
    But Coolwings knows best:o

Coolwings: Do you know if they sell depron in greenhobby? If so any idea on teh price or if there is a sale on it? ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Average a tenner a sheet (depends on the thickness) - the sheets are huge - about 5 feet x 3 feet.
    You use styro friendly cyano glue on it (takes about 1-2 mins to harden) and can use activator is you want to build even faster (with activator it hardens in about 5 seconds).
    There is also flat carbon fibre that you can glue to the edges of the depron to protect it from breaking in bumps and bashes .
    Without the carbon it is too fragile for beginners but ok for experienced flyers.

The sale is here Green Hobby Sale if you are interested in looking over the list but there is no depron in it, balsa is reduced however.

A second "wave" of models has been held back to top up the sale second week of Jan, to avoid the blowout effect that has been recurring over recent years during the 1st day.
    For example - a third of the Carson cars that were reduced went on the first morning of the sale! That sort of madness doesn't last more than a couple of days though.
    It is closed now until Wednesday the 3rd Jan at ten o'clock. ( I'm getting tired just thinking about it ! ) :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

Hi Macker Eire,
    Some people also call them shock flyers, I know Ikarus make very nice (not too expensive) and light kits, the lighter the plane the more forgiving it will be.
    U'll also need to use lipo batteries to keep the weight down, normal nicad, or ?NIMH will be too heavey. As for the regulator, it may increase flight times but again there will be added weight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement