Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What bugs you about UCD?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Red Alert wrote:
    People complain about the same stuff year on year - nothing gets done..

Well we only have to wait another month till we get the empty promises of another batch of su officers.....smae promises,nufin gets done.
    Red Alert wrote:
    Same crap food - i've only been in Elements once, and occasionally in O'Briens. Maybe things are improving. Perk is overpriced for what you get. Restaurant is just plain not appetizing, add to that the petty pricing and the staff who seem intent on it. 911 is a health hazard, apart from buying tea to sit by the lake with I no longer go there...

Concur!You must come along to market day that im organising.It will be in the third or fourth week back and there be cakes,buns,fruit and veg etc along with unwanted xmas pressies,posters,old cds and books.Students can rent a stall for free,sell whatever they want and make a bit of cash,while the rest of us can get to buy cheap stuff! Its a win win situation!Anyway watch this space..... :)

Red Alert wrote:
    P.R. machine - the university's PR engine seems the most well oiled contraption i've ever seen. I was at a recent talk a while ago by a high ranking person within the college and it was peppered with quotes from Hugh Brady. There's something vaguely stalin-esque about that...

I cant see the prob with advertising the college a bit.Though I wouldnt mind Bradys salary!
    Red Alert wrote:
    Student Centre 2 - this project appears to have been pushed by an out of touch SU and the vice president for students, who is equally as removed from reality in many areas. Another abject waste of money, seen as how little/irrelevantly the current building is used...

Agree.The student centre as it stands at the moment is grand if it was used effectively. Instead of building stu centre 2 they should build a multistorey car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

WHATEVER EDGET is responsible for closing the changing rooms beside the athletics track, converting them into offices and expecting people to walk/run/cycle/take a taxi to the Sports Centre to wash off the minging bacteria.

Mind you, if I insisted on having a shower in the same spot as I had it last year I would have to stand on some admin bird's desk in the nip.... Nah, I think I better walk to the Sports Centre...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

gubbie wrote:
    I don't know anyone who hasn't had their bike stolen. Its kind of a "If you cycle then you can expect to not finish the year with the bike you started with". How can they promote using bicycles when they don't have proper security around them
    I've managed to get through a year with the same bike, although granted, I kept it parked in the VERY secluded racks before the Egg near the Vet building.
    And was usually in before 8:30am and out after 8:30pm.
    And I fell off it on November 14th, couldn't ride it again before Christmas (cracked tailbone) and started walking to UCD from house (Stillorgan) for 2006.
    And it was fuschia, and nobody would want to steal a fuschia bike.*

* Which is probably actually the reason why I was always in before 8:30am and commonly left after dark... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I've had the same bike for over three years now. Apparently girls' bikes are less attractive to thieves because they're harder to sell or something. Also mine is purple and covered in stickers and hence identifiable from a mile off.
    I'm giving it away this evening because I'm moving. I'll miss my bike :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I think UCD should stop wasting their money on these crazy ideas they have and build a nice big exam centre on campus. It could be mutlistory. This would stop us having to trek out to the RDS or Blackrock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

It would also only be used twice a year.

Sangre wrote:
    It would also only be used twice a year.

No, it would be used for midterms too. It could also double as a place to hold events which could be rented out to people, or other shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Pythia wrote:
    No, it would be used for midterms too. It could also double as a place to hold events which could be rented out to people, or other shows.

Racks brain.... O'Reilly Hall Basically. Anything decent enough to get rented out doesn't seem to get used for exams...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

Pythia wrote:
    This would stop us having to trek out to the RDS or Blackrock.

cos its so hard isnt it, imagine two locations both less than a ten minute walk from a dart station, the inconvenience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Pythia wrote:
    I think UCD should stop wasting their money on these crazy ideas they have and build a nice big exam centre on campus. It could be mutlistory. This would stop us having to trek out to the RDS or Blackrock.
    Replace ""exam centre" with "car park" and it would make much more sense.

• Advertisement

Garret wrote:
    cos its so hard isnt it, imagine two locations both less than a ten minute walk from a dart station, the inconvenience

Actually, yes, I do find it inconvenient. It being near the Dart doesn't help me whatsoever.

Don't you have a car?

Anyway if you don't walk to the RDS from UCD you're a lazy bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Pantsless

yeah sangres right. you are all lazy ****s.

more car park spaces for those of us not lucky to live within 2 hours distance from UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Wasn't the Sports Centre only funded by the Government because it was supposed to act as the exam hall for the newly Belfield-based UCD for a prerequisite number of years?

Pythia wrote:
    Actually, yes, I do find it inconvenient. It being near the Dart doesn't help me whatsoever.

but do you honestly believe that spending millions on an exam centre that would only be used a few times a year would be worth it.

the carpark would make much more sense

Garret wrote:
    but do you honestly believe that spending millions on an exam centre that would only be used a few times a year would be worth it.

the carpark would make much more sense

You've put a negative slope on it, but yes I do. Why would I suggest it otherwise?
    A carpark can be built aswell. It's not either or.
    If UCD have enough money to build a hotel on the grounds, they can build an exam centre.

Pythia wrote:
    You've put a negative slope on it, but yes I do. Why would I suggest it otherwise?
    If UCD have enough money to build a hotel on the grounds, they can build an exam centre.

a hotel will generate more income than an exam centre ( i know it can be used for more than exams obv)

also, theyre building a hotel? whereaboots?

Garret wrote:
    also, theyre building a hotel? whereaboots?

Supposedly near the 46a busstop. I think some shops too.
    I'm not too sure on the details, tbh, but I've heard it from a few people.

Pythia wrote:
    Don't you do economics or something?

Can you not see the difference between an exam centre (which only saves money really) and a revenue generating hotel?

Although more than likely piss-posh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Pythia wrote:

Well perhaps you could justify it? I really dont see the need for it. It would be used 2 times a year. The R.D.S. is not far from U.C.D. and is capable of holding exams. Blackrock is suitable for smaller scale exams. There is no need for another centre

• Advertisement

Well perhaps you could justify it?

I already did in another post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Thankfully, I doubt the Bursar would entertain such a ridiculous notion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Pythia: Cheaper options - walk, take the bus or get a taxi (if you don't drive, that is). Many exams already take place on campus anyway. Although I don't drive, I can still see how a multi-story carpark would trump a multi-story exam centre in importance. Repeatedly. It might be more convenient for you to not have to travel to the exam centre, but there are people who have a hefty dart journey before they get the bus to UCD, and it's far more convenient for them to just have to get the dart. Besides, something designed as an exam centre, unless it was modelled on the bleakness of the RDS, would be almost pointless for events on campus. Also, the traffic onto campus would be multiplied in the event of the exam centre being used for anything. Now, if a carpark were to be built with a large multi-purpose room on top which could accommodate some exams, that might make sense, but a centre solely for exams because some people are lazy - there's no justification for that.

Sangre: teehee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Blush_01 wrote:
    Pythia: Cheaper options - walk, take the bus or get a taxi (if you don't drive, that is). Many exams already take place on campus anyway. Although I don't drive, I can still see how a multi-story carpark would trump a multi-story exam centre in importance. Repeatedly. It might be more convenient for you to not have to travel to the exam centre, but there are people who have a hefty dart journey before they get the bus to UCD, and it's far more convenient for them to just have to get the dart. Besides, something designed as an exam centre, unless it was modelled on the bleakness of the RDS, would be almost pointless for events on campus. Also, the traffic onto campus would be multiplied in the event of the exam centre being used for anything. Now, if a carpark were to be built with a large multi-purpose room on top which could accommodate some exams, that might make sense, but a centre solely for exams because some people are lazy - there's no justification for that.

here,here! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Why would I let it bug me when I only spend about 16 hours in there a week?

Pah!

Well I still think I'm right, but there's no point in continuing on this debate as people are closed minded.

Rofl. Yeah, thats why people are disagreeing with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Ok just so everyone knows, there's a massive development plan underway for UCD which should be completed in around 10 years. Part of it is to build 4 (I think) multi-story car parks, all located near entrances. The idea is that the body of the campus would be a car fee zone, with the possibility of a shuttle bus operating going around campus. Other parts of the plan are a huge revamp of the Arts + Science blocks, a hotel, a cinema, a supermarket, the athletics track being moved to another part of campus, "rape lane" being upgraded to a proper entrance among many other things.

A purpose built centre for exams would most likely be a white-elephant as it would have to be huge to accommodate the Christmas and summer exams, and hence would be extremely underused for the rest of the year. What I would like to see is better use of on campus spaces for exams such as the science lobbies (which was were science students sat the most part of their exams back in the day) and examine the possibility of using O'Reilly Hall to eliminate weekend exams and those 6pm exams that students are having to sit in recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

dajaffa wrote:
    Ok just so everyone knows, there's a massive development plan underway for UCD which should be completed in around 10 years. Part of it is to build 4 (I think) multi-story car parks, all located near entrances. The idea is that the body of the campus would be a car fee zone, with the possibility of a shuttle bus operating going around campus. Other parts of the plan are a huge revamp of the Arts + Science blocks, a hotel, a cinema, a supermarket, the athletics track being moved to another part of campus, "rape lane" being upgraded to a proper entrance among many other things.

Can't argue with most of that, would go far to making the place a bit livelier.

• Advertisement

10 years? whats that in UCD time?

Advertisement