Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Bit Lost !

Options
  • 01-01-2007 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have been interested in the idea of getting a Degree or something similar for a number of years.. I am not sure if its a mid-life Crisis ;)

Its not for work or anything, just for my own personal sadisfaction.

My personal interests include Psychology Astromony and Business and the internet !
    In other words, figuring out how mad I and other are, staring at the sky and dreaming of running my own business and surfing the net... ;) In addition I am a Keen photographer and love making rubbish Videos movies.. :)

Due to family and work commitments ( I am not self employed, YET ) my options would have to be distance learning...

As mentioned my decision is based on personal sadisfaction, so I am not confined to a decision directly related to my career.. But at the risk of sounding shallow I want to do sometihng with a real pay off.. a Degree or something on that lines..

I am looking for Ideas? option? or simply what springs to mind... I am sure I am forgetting information here but am glad to reply to any questions relating to my life quest.........

Thanks for taking the time to read this...

Sunny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You have a couple of options the main being www.oscail.ie (Oscail, run by DCU) www.open.ac.uk (the Open University) and the University of London (http://www.londonexternal.ac.uk/).

Each has it's own merits and issues. However, for someone who has a wide range of interests and is studying for personal interest as much as anything else, the Opeb University's Open Degree (http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?Q01BD) might be of interest, as it allows you to build the degree from courses you choose - from across their faculties.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

I've just completed a BSc with the Open Uni and I share many of the interests you mentioned and did specific courses on them as part of my degree. It's possible to do a BSc or a BA and cover all the things you mention.

I highly recommend the OU. Great range of courses, great materials, do it at your own pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

@Buffybot Cheers for the information, the last link to the open degree looks really interesting, I knew nothing about this and it sounds like a great idea..

@giddyup.. its its not too personal a question, how long did it take? and thank you also..

1/ Also I know that Bs is a bachelor of science and Ba is bachalor of Arts.. but could you explain in layman terms the difference ?

2/ in addition I looked, after the advice I got above, at this item.. just as it was the first to catch my eye..

http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?C01uT189

Its digital photography.. now what do you think of it?
    and more importantly and alarming is the price difference between United kingdom and the price link for the rep. of Ireland. you will see the link under the prices at the top of page.. to UK students its £155 but for here its nearly £350 ? its an online course.. am i missing something here? *edit.. I see they give " UK government funding"to Uk residents that explains the price difference. http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/about/p7.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

sunny2004 wrote:
    1/ Also I know that Bs is a bachelor of science and Ba is bachalor of Arts.. but could you explain in layman terms the difference ?

BSc's are technical subjects like engineering, computing and science.

BA's are for arty-farty subjects (:D) such as literature, history and English.

I did my BSc in Information Technology with Oscail some years back and would not recommend them. Unless they have improved their material and student support, avoid them - they were a bunch of clowns.

Other colleges are doing distance learning degrees also - check out the likes of DCU, Trinity, UCD and University of Limerick.

Cheers Tom, LOL

I think the OU open degree will be my choice..
    I like the idea of mixing my interested and getting enought points for a Degree..

It looks like its going to cost around 5000 euros and take 5 years?

• Advertisement

depends on the courses you take, how many you take, and the cost of each.

OU courses are divided into points, and it's recommended that you do no more than 60 points a year if you are working full time..that works out at 6 years or 60 point courses. However, some people do more - but I certaily wouldn't take more than one in your first year, to allow yourself to guage the workload required and whether or not you can fit more in around your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

sunny2004 wrote:
    Cheers Tom, LOL

I think the OU open degree will be my choice..
    I like the idea of mixing my interested and getting enought points for a Degree..

It looks like its going to cost around 5000 euros and take 5 years?

I cant see it being that cheap - Unless you live in the UK or youve already got other qualifications which makes you exempt from a lot of modules.
    I did two modules about two years ago but eventually gave up due to a bad experience with a Shi-t tutor & the estimated cost of actually finishing a degree (somwhere between 8 - 10,000 at the time )
    UK open uni citizens are subsidised by the UK government , hence a 60 Point module which costs £525 in the UK will cost £1105 in Rep of Ireland - which is 1,642.79 EUR at today's exchange rate.
    as far as i remember a basic degree is 320 points or more so i reckon 5,000 is a bit optimistic.

300 points for ordinary Degree, 360 for honours. Tax relief can be factored in too, but I don't know if that would account for all of that figure.

I am tempted to say I was doing my calculations in sterling, but that is not true, I simply wasnt thinking.. that doesnt sound very promising for someone who wants a degree LOL

OK its looking very expensive... I am happy with up to 7,500 or even 10,000 over 5/6 years.. but anymore is pushing it into madness in my opinion..
    Need to rethink the costing... any ideas are as always really welcome..

Well, courses are eligible for Tax relief from the revenue, which does ease the pain slightly. I guess you factor up the costs of doing degrees via other avenues as well and see whether you feel it's worth it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement