Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Casual Daytime Cologne

• 01-01-2007 4:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭

Hey guys, gonna pick up my first ever cologne and I need your help.

I want something casual for daytime use. Something that wouldn't be out of place in college with jeans and a jumper (and underwear). Nothing too overpowering or that smells like I should be cramped into a sweaty club rather than having lunch with friends during college. Something that isn't season specific would be best, meaning that I could wear it now or in like May without it being a bit weird.

I know nothing about scents, so I'm pretty clueless. I did prefer Lynx Africa to all the acidy sweet smelling ones like Click and Phoenix though :p I'm so cultured.

Anywhos, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Issey Miyaki. Perfect for any time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Most of the Lacoste ones are good for daytime, they're not very overpowering anyway. Clinique Happy for men is probably the best though, off the top of my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭techguy

I take it your a lad from batemans post..what about tommy. I wear it during the daytime when I feel like wearing something cause it has a nice fresh? kind of smell and isn't overpowering at all..I dont think its too expensive either. Another one I used to wear was Boss Bottled but now its all gone.. Its not as discreet as the tommy IMHO but its still good for daytime..as far as season specific goes..not me mate. Doesnt bother me what month it is!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭N_Raid

Try Armani Remix. Nice and fresh but not too overpowering and really is more of a casual fragrance. I find any of the Emporio Armani fragrances to be more on the casual side and better for every day wear rather than Giorgio which would tend to be more for going out. Gant indigo isn't too bad either. Has a kind of fruity citrus twinge from it if thats more what you're after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

I'm a guy yeah, I should have said that in the first post. I'm 19 too.

I looked into Lacoste, their Style in Play one sounds alright?

Are polo sport and cool water too over done by now? I know they're meant to be popular.

Are the Armani ones very expensive? I don't really mind paying a bit for something quality, but I know their clothes etc. are meant to be pricier than most..

I have no idea if I'm after a fruity citrus twinge :p I'll have to go smell some of these yokes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I gauged from the Lynx mentions in your first post that you're a lad. The Lacoste grey is the one I was thinking of, no idea what it's called. Have to agree re: Armani Remix; another nice one, and not too overpowering. Got a bottle at Christmas and it's nearly gone. I wouldn't say Polo Sport is overdone; especially for daywear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭N_Raid

samsamson wrote:
    Are the Armani ones very expensive? I don't really mind paying a bit for something quality, but I know their clothes etc. are meant to be pricier than most..

The clothes may be pricier than most but to be honest I haven't noticed them to be dearer for fragrances. And there are a few like remix, city glam being another. Don't know what it smells like but they seem to be aimed more for every day wear and they tend to be that bit cheaper than the 'going out' fragrances like Code or Mania (which by the way I absolutely love for going out. I've had more than a handful of women comment on how good I smelled when wearing either of the two)

I would say your best bet would be to go into a few shops that sell perfume and cologne and have a good look around and try a few until you're happy with something. Don't be afraid to ask to test stuff. I know the staff in boots anyway are always happy to oblige and will help you in picking something out if you want. But try to stick to testing 3 or 4 at a time before taking a few minutes break. Any more and you can't really judge it properly because what went before can linger and taint the other stuff.

(by the way I do not work for and am not affiliated in any way with boots or Armani. lol)

Cheers guys,
    Gonna give my cousin (who'd be of a similar age etc.) Hugo by hugo boss for his birthday. A female friend recommended it for him so I'll see if he likes it, and if he does I might end up gettin some for myself, not very unique or anything but for a first scent I wouldn't mind it being a popular smell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

ned78 wrote:
    Issey Miyaki. Perfect for any time!

It's soooo good

damn you grumpy chiming in at the last minute! :p fine ill smell that one too haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 hugh_jass_ie

Try Allure by Chanel. My Fav.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

different smells for diffeent ages me thinks

im 23 and my fav day smells are

1/ Clinique- Be Happy
    2/ Boss- in motion (green)

Clinique in peticular is really fresh and not that many people know about it so you dont smell like every other dude wearing joop or some other generic smell.

edit to include...Issey is amazing true but I think that it is too strong for daytime a bit too overpowering.

Actually I have the sean john aftershave on me at the moment for the first time (present, I didnt buy it) and I like it a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭techguy

Try Allure by Chanel. My Fav.

...sport!! mmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Try [SIZE=-1]Acca Kappa's White Moss. It's a very fresh clean smell and not over-powering like some of the one's mentioned above. Perfect for day time wear.
    [/SIZE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭wordofmouth

ultra violet - paco rabanne

Advertisement