Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Netgear Problem

Options
  • 01-01-2007 5:01pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭

I originally posted this in the "Wireless" subforum, however, it's probably more suitable for here. So, my apologies, I'm sure some mod can delete it from there.

Hello,

I have a rather small problem (I think). I'm changing over from the Eircom Netopia router to a Netgear RangeMax router, when I first plugged in the Netgear router, everything functioned ok (could access the router config, got internet working and so on), however while I was fiddling around for a while, I plugged in the old Netopia router from Eircom again just to verify some settings, for portforwarding etc. Then when I went to plug in the Netgear again, everything works fine but it simply won't sync, I can't get online, the Sync light just flashes orange for maybe 10 seconds, every minute or so, but it won't connect. The router status says "Connecting". So basically, the problem I have is that I can access internet just fine with my Netopia router from Eircom, but my Netgear router just won't sync, when it did in the first place. I'd imagine this is some small problem, at least I'm hoping so. I'm grateful for any useful suggestions, this is doing my head in!

Note, factory reset did not work, nor did leaving the router unplugged for sometime work either.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Is the username and password to access Eircom BB on the Netgear correct?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Yes, it is correct, since I accessed the internet via the Netgear router when I first tried it. Even if the username and password were incorrect, that isn't the problem, the problem is that the router simply will not establish DSL sync. The light flashes orange for maybe 10 seconds or so, roughly every minute, it won't flash green or go solid green though. The strange thing is that when I first tried the router it worked, only when I went back to the Eircom Netopia, and then to the Netgear again did it cease to work. Note that the Eircom Netopia modem works fine, and has worked fine all this time, no problem establishing DSL sync.

I haven't been successful finding much information about this problem, although the little that I have found suggests that it might be a problem common to Netgear routers (the ones with built-in modem functionality), however, I have yet to find any solution to the problem. I've tried reflashing the router firmware to the original one, also tried reseting the router and even factory reseting, all to no avail. What actually worries me most is the fact that I may have lost my receipt (bought it in Argos), so if I have to return it I might be in trouble.

If anyone has any help to offer I'd appreciate it a lot, because right now I have a €130 paperweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

When you were reflashing, did you reflash with the same version firmware or newer [if available]?

I don't know how it would change, but make sure the Netgear is using PPPoE encapsulation, has LLC-based multiplexing, VPI of 8 and VCI of 35.

Are you using the same RJ11 cable and microfilter? Will it sync if you unplug all other phones on the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

I have had 2 Netgear routers go faulty in the last few months, i noticed they were running very hot, netgear have not issued new firmware to fix issues, replaced with Netopia 2247 from PCworld and routers have been rocksteady since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

I know this is not helpful but I've had two Netgear Rangemax routers and both ended up refusing to work properly so had to be returned.

I now have a Netgear DG834GT which has built in modem and its flawless...running two wired and three wireless PC's on it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement