Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Yellow Reg's in ROI no longer legal?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

universally despised
    Universally by everyone or just you? Most people couldn't care less I suspect, though I can't speak for the population. As I said, nice and balanced ;)
    *Edit* Sorry, taking this off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well, maybe it's not "universal", but it's far more people than just me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

seamus wrote:
    md99, nothing has changed. It's still illegal to drive around on a UK reg unless you're a UK visitor.

What you're referring to is probably a "crackdown" (I use this term in the lightest sense, given the track record of enforcement) on Irish residents (national and non-national) driving around in foreign registered vehicles. Gardai can stop you randomly and seize your vehicle at the road side.

My question answered at last. And by God... All this **** about the years! I think it was best said by Tauren:
    Tauren wrote:
    its obviously gonna be a lot more likely that someone will be able to decode that 99 - X - XXXX refers to a car reg'd in 99, then someone being able to decode what year a letter in the reg plate refers to - personally i have no idea about english reg plates or what letter means which year.

Was there any need for debate over this? Obviously it's easier to tell the year of a car given the actual year, and not a letter code to represent the year. What does it matter if I wanna keep my yellow reg's on? All I wanted to know was how legal it was...
    geek nose wrote:
    ....even though it's as clear as daylight. I don't think he'll ever work in cryptography, lol.
    I don't see what's 'clear as daylight' about it. If you take a random person from the street and ask them the year of a yellow reg car, there's quite a good chance they wouldn't know it either. I've been driving for years and I couldn't tell you one.

As regards cryptogoraphy? I'm quite happy working in law, actually, however if this is your idea of wit I'd steer clear of a career in stand up comedy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭kilasser

Here is a guide to tell what year a uk car is, Its very easy really:
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/CARS/owning/registration_plates.jsp#Registration_plate_identifier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

md99 wrote:
    Is it true that they are bringing in a law whereby those with British cars who have paid their VRT MUST change to the ROI licence plates or face penalty points?

I thought that this was to be in place by this month, but on the roads today I saw plenty yellow reg's around.

What's the story?

one question: why would you bother paying VRT in the first place if your going to break the law?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

md99 wrote:
    Ahh, hello... some people are f**kin vain??

So, you were at first referring to people who have the correct registration number on the car, but a non standard plate or lettering. You then seem to be talking about people who "haven't bothered to change the plates". Which is it?
    You then seem slightly surprised that its illegal to drive around with the WRONG registration on your car. And you work in law?
    Even if you did get a buzz from concealing the year of your car ( which is retarded anyway ), why would anyone bother paying vrt, and then driving around with an illegal reg so the car could be taken from you?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,788 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

kilasser wrote:
    Here is a guide to tell what year a uk car is, Its very easy really:
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/CARS/owning/registration_plates.jsp#Registration_plate_identifier
    easy when you know it - but does the average person in the street know it? I would doubt many people know the reg's with the letters s,t or v are 99 cars. Is it really so hard to believe that not all Irish people know exactly how the UK reg plate system works and what the letters correspond to, off the top of their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Tauren wrote:
    easy when you know it - but does the average person in the street know it? I would doubt many people know the reg's with the letters s,t or v are 99 cars. Is it really so hard to believe that not all Irish people know exactly how the UK reg plate system works and what the letters correspond to, off the top of their heads.

The people in England who use the system all know what year cars are. It doesnt matter over here because people dont have English reg's, that would be illegal. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Tauren wrote:

yes, but your 'average' person isn't buying a car, VRT-ing it, and then scuttling around on foreign plates. Joe Soap buys, VRT's, and sticks the Irish no on, so your argument is nonsense.

It's only those who KNOW what they're doing - aka petrol heads like us - who might muck the system around...........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Maybe it's lots of NI reg's I've been seeing around.

Where most of you are from, I appreciate it may be uncommon. Down here though Irish-owned cars with yellow reg's are very common, maybe down to the law regarding the plates being ignored?

• Advertisement

and by 'ignored' I mean in a similar way to the Provisional Driver/accompanied by full driver law, which is COMPLETELY ignored in this area....

Advertisement