Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

use laptop on both home and work network?

Options
  • 01-01-2007 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Is there anything i need to change to allow my work laptop that uses my work domain to connect to my home network or can it exist on both happily?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I'm assuming your home network is not a domain based one, rather it is a simple pear to pear network.
    What you would need to change is the IP address if it is in a different range, or else set your home network to be on the IP range as your work. This would make things easier.
    Obviously when logging on in the start when starting your PC, you log in locally and not to a domain server when at home.

Thinking of it, your work probably uses a DHCP server, if this the case and your run DHCP at home on your router or what ever, then you shouldn't need to go messing with IP address's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

My workplace is domain based. However, we have many client sites and I can find myself on any of them for a few hours or a few days. Some of these sites are also domain based and some aren't. My main gripe with domain-based authentication in my case is that for each domain there is a separate profile for the same username - which, of course, means a separate directory for Desktop and My Documents for the same username in each domain.

What I do now is forget domain-based authentication completely - on my laptop anyway - and change my workgroup when I need to.

It's still a bit messy because I need to make sure my username & password is the same on each site but it's better than the alternative.

Of course, if anyone has an easier method please feel free to advise.

Regards,

Liam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

When I login to my work laptop at home, I just get an error stating that my roaming profile isn't available, and the login proceeds as normal. Once I get a connection to my wireless router, I just have to change my browser not to use the proxy server to allow me to surf.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

a program called mobile net switch will do what you need nicely.
    it will allow too configure your laptop to switch seamesly between home and work networks.

http://www.mobilenetswitch.com/Download/

Advertisement