Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing a 02 Mazda6 for a 04/05 Laguna

Options
  • 01-01-2007 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭

Nothing wrong with the Mazda but just wanna bring the car life up a few years. Any comments/suggestions before I start looking at the January 2nd hand influx?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I wouldn't go for the Laguna...I heard even Renault dealers are reluctant to take them back as trade ins. Stick with the reliable Japs if thats what you are used to. Maybe a Honda Accord Executive?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Laguna? Bwahahahahahaha!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Please don't do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

:eek: Oh no :eek:

/slams door and runs away holding head

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Get a newer Mazda 6?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Cuchulain

oh no:eek: wasnt expecting such replies with my heart set on the laguna. Whats bad about it?. Honda Accord is way to expensive, looking for something 04/05 sporty-ish around the 15-17k mark. Was looking at the Vectra with all the trims but again was too expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

A Laguna:eek: :eek: :eek: you are joking right????

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cuchulain wrote:
    oh no:eek: wasnt expecting such replies with my heart set on the laguna. Whats bad about it?. Honda Accord is way to expensive, looking for something 04/05 sporty-ish around the 15-17k mark. Was looking at the Vectra with all the trims but again was too expensive.

I'm not sure what you define as "sporty". Not sure if you mean sporty from a driver's point of view or do you just mean sporty looking? Either way I would not put the likes of the Vectra in this catagory.

Not too many "sporty-sh" models in this class of car to be honest. You might get a 2004/2005 Ford Mondeo for your budget. It is an entertaining car to drive but is definately not sporty looking.

I would go with another Mazda 6 myself, a higher spec model perhaps? "If it ain't broke then don't try and fix it" comes to mind.

junkyard wrote:
    A Laguna:eek: :eek: :eek: you are joking right????

I was just going to say "wait until Junkyard reads this." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

i drive a laguna...stay well away! vectra/mondeo/mazda 6 maybe...but not the laguna!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I concur with all the above - going from an '02 Mazda 6 to an '04/'05 Laguna is a step in the wrong direction... unless you're very friendly with your local mechanic. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Cuchulain wrote:
    Nothing wrong with the Mazda but just wanna bring the car life up a few years

Nothing wrong with it indeed. There's not much to say for changing it with a slightly newer same car. It will cost ya plenty.

Stick with the Mazda 6 or make a half step up by going either Honda Accord or Toyota / Lexus LS200. I don't think you'd be interested to move up a full step to a real drivers' car, so I won't suggest it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I always knew (from friends who have them) that Lagunas were junk, but it was hammered home to me recently when I went to a car auction and '02 Lagunas were going for little more than 3 grand! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I'm driving an 05 (facelift) Laguna and it's a piece of ****e... I hate it. Stay with the 6

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

i drove a 02 laguna for 2 years and it never caused any bother, its a very popular car because it is very comfortable, the 1.6 petrols are underpowered the 1.9 diesel is very good, the resell price is lower because there is loads of them about, supply and demand et al....

same old story here, mention a certain type of car, fiat, laguna, alfa and expect to see the usual horror stories, every brand has their lemons the germans or japs arent any exception to that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

It's the 1.9dCI that I'm driving and I find it uncomfortable, it's got 70000kms on the clock and the suspension feels terrible. When it was newer it felt better, the brakes are terrible, press them and you get nothing and then all of a sudden they bite. Interior is flimsy, all the dials have a rubber coating thats worn off and it doesn't have a cup holder!!

Nuttzz wrote:
    i drove a 02 laguna for 2 years and it never caused any bother, its a very popular car because it is very comfortable, the 1.6 petrols are underpowered the 1.9 diesel is very good, the resell price is lower because there is loads of them about, supply and demand et al....

Plenty of Avensis, Passats, etc on the road here too but they manage to hold their resale value alot better than the Laguna.

Renaults like most French and Italian cars have always had poor resale value due to being dogged by a reputation for being troublesome or having poor reliability. Some of it is true but some of it is just pub talk or hearsay too. It is hit and miss to be honest, I know people who have had no trouble with French cars over the years but I also know some who would never buy them again. Trouble is, bad reputations are easier earned than lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

bazz26 wrote:
    Trouble is, bad reputations are easier earned than lost.

Very true, i think the new alfas which look great have suffered from this (i am a biased alfa driver)

I have owned a ford,2 renualts and a skoda in the past I cant say I have any problems with them, I have been luckly, my alfa has caused me the most trouble, not because of the build or anything like that but that ba*tards have broken into my house and office to steal it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Cuchulain

haha this is a good one. The good guys hear have persuaded me to steer clear of the Laguna so Ive decided to go for a Touring Mazda 6 04/05. I went to look in my local Mazda garage in Carlow and was looking at a 05. Listen to this...
    The 05 retailed at 19k.
    He said that 02 Mazdas with 50k miles get 10,250. Since mine has 73k that he would have to subtract €100 for every 1k miles. Leaving it at around the 8k mark. Then he said that they would need to make profit on the car at 2k. So he basically offered me 6k for my car.

Carlow Mazda dealer offers me 6k for a 02 Mazda with 73k, perfect condition.

I rang another garage in Dublin that was selling a 04 Touring Mazda 6 for 16,750 (http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=568257). Without viewing it, they said they would offer between 9 1/2 and 11k.

Carlow Mazda dealer, bow your head in shame. I will never deal with you ever again. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Cuchulain wrote:
    haha this is a good one. The good guys hear have persuaded me to steer clear of the Laguna so Ive decided to go for a Touring Mazda 6 04/05. I went to look in my local Mazda garage in Carlow and was looking at a 05. Listen to this...
    The 05 retailed at 19k.
    He said that 02 Mazdas with 50k miles get 10,250. Since mine has 73k that he would have to subtract €100 for every 1k miles. Leaving it at around the 8k mark. Then he said that they would need to make profit on the car at 2k. So he basically offered me 6k for my car.

Carlow Mazda dealer offers me 6k for a 02 Mazda with 73k, perfect condition.

I rang another garage in Dublin that was selling a 04 Touring Mazda 6 for 16,750 (http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=568257). Without viewing it, they said they would offer between 9 1/2 and 11k.

Carlow Mazda dealer, bow your head in shame. I will never deal with you ever again. :mad:

They offered me a very poor deal when I was changing a few years. Also, a friend in the trade claims their parts department is notoriously bad.

Mazda are being badly let down by their dealers at the moment, they need to improve on this. 'Tis a pity cos the cars are quite good. The 3 diesel saloon for example is way underpromoted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

pburns wrote:
    Mazda are being badly let down by their dealers at the moment, they need to improve on this. 'Tis a pity cos the cars are quite good. The 3 diesel saloon for example is way underpromoted.

I didn't even know there was a 3 saloon which sort of proves your point !

Seven Worlds will Collide

I didn't even know there was a 3 saloon which sort of proves your point !

This is the saloon (boot looks like a hatch):

monaghansgalway787.jpg

I think the fact that there is no 1.4 litre saloon too doesn't help it's cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I can honestly say Bazz that I've never seen one...and you wouldn't exactly be run over by the hatches either,but have seen several

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

pburns wrote:
    The 3 diesel saloon for example is way underpromoted.
    You can sing that. I reckon it's the best in its class. (And yes, that does include comparing with the octavia 1.9tdi).

Advertisement