Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney has to be dropped

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

well, wat do people make of rooneys "poor" season now!i could go on......!

Still had a poor season regardless of what happens at the end of it :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

well, wat do people make of rooneys "poor" season now! right now, he is uniteds most important player and has come up with some big big goals and performances this year, with 11 goals in his last 10 games, 23 in total this year, with about 12 assists, in all competitions. not bad at all!

vital goals -

yesteday, to put us up 3-2.
    milan, when it really, really mattered, he did the business, twice.
    vital goal away to roma, completely changed the whole tie.
    2 fa cup semi final goals
    and 2 goals off the bench against pompy in the 4th round when we were struggling.
    2 contenders for goal of the season.
    i could go on......!

This thread does make interesting reading all right . Some egg on face material but hindsight is a wonderful gift. I am happy with my original contributions.

Can we also have a bump of the Fergie should be sacked threads and United will not finish in the top 4 thread from the start of the season They should be good for a laugh and a bit of banter.:D

Mossy Monk wrote:
    Still had a poor season regardless of what happens at the end of it .

Uniteds top goal scorer with 23 goals in all comps, Yes he had piss poor season.:confused:

BTW where did you get to yesterday I was enjoying your contributions to the united everton thread and you just dissapeared half way through the second half ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Mossy Monk wrote:

Let me guess, you're a Liverpool fan? :D

Very few strikers have scored over 20 goals this season, Rooney is one of them despite playing many roles, very few times as out and out striker. Not to mention that in our biggest games of the season as Ed described, he has been our match winner. I hope he has 10 more piss poor seasons for us :)

Oh me? I had to work. But I think you have me confused with someone else as I never said anything trollish in that thread. I just had a look at my contributions, two posts, one to say how good a goal Everton scored and another saying that I mentioned Phil Neville would score an og. And no people I am not a Liverpool fan :rolleyes:.

And no where did I say he had a piss poor season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Mossy Monk wrote:
    Mossy Monk wrote:
    And no where did I say he had a piss poor season.
    You said he had a poor season there!

Would you agree that there is a difference between poor and piss poor? Some people just like to misquote to make themselves look better I suppose.

Mossy Monk wrote:
    Would you agree that there is a difference between poor and piss poor? Some people just like to misquote to make themselves look better I suppose.

I used the term "piss poor" I was not quoting or mis quoting anyone.

re yesterday : I was referring to your and Super Furrys comments about Phil Nevilles goal. I accept you were not trolling in fact I never said you were. Apologies if you though that's what I was implying. There's no harm in a bit of banter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

Lol people jump to stupid conclusions. Great players will show their form when it matters. Rooney is a great player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I haven't read the thread but I have a feeling Rooney has done something to sort out his temper/anger and it's affected his game. He seems a much more mellow player this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

He's easily the best striker United have

eirebhoy wrote:
    I haven't read the thread but I have a feeling Rooney has done something to sort out his temper/anger and it's affected his game. He seems a much more mellow player this season.

I noticed that myself. He appears to have the "red mist" under control these days but he is still a very physical player. I hope he can get a happy medium so that it does not negate some of his qualities. In the last few matches that appears to be the case.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

well, wat do people make of rooneys "poor" season now! right now, he is uniteds most important player and has come up with some big big goals and performances this year, with 11 goals in his last 10 games, 23 in total this year, with about 12 assists, in all competitions. not bad at all!

vital goals -

yesteday, to put us up 3-2.
    milan, when it really, really mattered, he did the business, twice.
    vital goal away to roma, completely changed the whole tie.
    2 fa cup semi final goals
    and 2 goals off the bench against pompy in the 4th round when we were struggling.
    2 contenders for goal of the season.

i could go on......!
    Very true, he has shown his quality in the past month or so, but I still reckon at the time when this thread was started that he should have been dropped. He was playing very poorly at the time and regardless of his quality he wasn't performing. I'm glad to see him on top form again, although yesterday he had a poor game by his standards also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

He may have had a poor 1st half, but he more than made up for it in the 2nd half when he found his feet, apart from when he tried to take it round the goalie were I admit he did badly. His running and positioning off the ball was excellent as it showed for his goal were he did brilliantly to sidefoot past Hibbert and passing it into the bottom corner of the net. His displays of vision and passing showed as he put Ronnie through 1-on-1 with the goalkeeper and came out 2nd best. But then he sent a little DINK over the Everton defence to send Eagles on his way to score. And I liked that little touch when he kissed the badge after he scored!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Would ya like it as much if he goes to Madrid at some stage and scores in old trafford for them?
    It was disrespectful to his old club who found and nurtured his talent, end of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Would ya like it as much if he goes to Madrid at some stage and scores in old trafford for them?
    It was disrespectful to his old club who found and nurtured his talent, end of.
    If we boo'd him and called him fat every time he touched the ball, then yes - i'd expect it of him. I'm sick of this attitude that players have to be angels while fans can get away with anything. They slagged him off, like they have done every time he has played there, and they got what they deserved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Nailz wrote:
    And I liked that little touch when he kissed the badge after he scored!

I hate badgekissers. Like Alan Smith, he was off like a hot snot as soon as the going got tough with his 'beloved' Leeds.

Badgekissing my ring.

i'm not doubting that he get a MASSIVE amount of stick from them, all i'm sayin is that his sizeable pay packet and the fact that most of his friends and family are evertonians, and that they are a major reason for his success should mean he has the ability to restrain himself (a la Larrson when he scored against celtic for barca).

In fairness, his love for United is not why he plays for them, its for the money and to win stuff.

Badge kissing symbolises a love for the club, which he can't really claim to have

seansouth wrote:
    I hate badgekissers. Like Alan Smith, he was off like a hot snot as soon as the going got tough with his 'beloved' Leeds.

Badgekissing my ring.
    lol - he was possibly the only player at Leeds that season that put in any effort at all. And he left when they could not afford to keep him, and i'm sure his transfer fee came in handy for a club stacked in debt.

i'm not doubting that he get a MASSIVE amount of stick from them, all i'm sayin is that his sizeable pay packet and the fact that most of his friends and family are evertonians, and that they are a major reason for his success should mean he has the ability to restrain himself (a la Larrson when he scored against celtic for barca).

In fairness, his love for United is not why he plays for them, its for the money and to win stuff.

Badge kissing symbolises a love for the club, which he can't really claim to have
    First off, you can't compare it to Larsson, because Larsson was CHEERED by the Celtic fans, not boo'd and abused for 90minutes.

Secondly, I have no doubt Rooney DOES love playing for United, I have no doubt he is as commited to United as any player. Sure, the pay is great, and a MAJOR reason he is at United, but he could have made even more money by signing for Chelsea the summer United signed him, but he wanted to play for United, so told them no when they came calling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

You can love a clubs philosophy, attacking football, big investments in attacking players, constant desire for the top trophies.

Most of the fans love that, so can he :)

I think he did it more to piss off Everton fans, after the **** they gave him all match, and to be honest, they deserved it. When you taunt big players, all it does is give them an excuse to score. That's why I'm upset people have stopped booing Ronaldo, it was so good for his game :P

I was much happier to see Chris Eagles kiss the badge, another youth player brought up through the system, what I like to see

• Advertisement

larsson was booed when he came on, and then had chants of BOBOS GONNA GET YA! everytime he touched the ball (a lot of celtic fans pretend otherwise, but this is fact)

Of course he loves playing for United, they're gonna win the league, maybe get to champions league final and maybe win the FA cup.

My point is that if United fall outside the premiership top 4 for a couple of years on the trot, he'd leave and start kissing badges elsewhere

Maybe, but I don't think it's just about winning trophies. I'm pretty sure he'd be less likely to kiss the badge if we were playing football like Chelsea or Liverpool.

Very very very few players have a true love for a club, despite where they play, and what level they play at. (Scholes comes to mind)

larsson was booed when he came on, and then had chants of BOBOS GONNA GET YA! everytime he touched the ball (a lot of celtic fans pretend otherwise, but this is fact)

Of course he loves playing for United, they're gonna win the league, maybe get to champions league final and maybe win the FA cup.

My point is that if United fall outside the premiership top 4 for a couple of years on the trot, he'd leave and start kissing badges elsewhere
    1. RUBBISH, ABSOLUTE RUBBISH. There was NO booing, and anychants of BOBO'S GONNA GET YA would have been light heated fandom

2. He has loved playing for United since he was signed; didn't win (or look like winning) the League or Champions league in that time, did he?

3. I'm not so sure - i think he could remain at United for as long as United want him. I don't see him signing for any other prem side, unles he went back to Everton, and nothing i have ever heard or read has suggested he is actually interested in playing in Spain or Italy, quite the opposite infact. But anyway, that doesn't matter. He loves playing for United, and kissing the badge shows that - BIG FREAKIN DEAL. At least he knew where the badge was, unlike Neville.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

PHB wrote:
    I was much happier to see Chris Eagles kiss the badge, another youth player brought up through the system, what I like to see
    Chris Eagles did not come "up through the system" at Manchester United, he joined Manu at 16. He was a youth player at Watford and a part of their youth academy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Hobart wrote:
    Chris Eagles did not come "up through the system" at Manchester United, he joined Manu at 16. He was a youth player at Watford and a part of their youth academy.

Yes thats correct, he was part of the Danny Webber deal. But he did join when he was 16 afaik

lol, true enough about Neville!

The Bobos gonna get ya thing was funny alright, and only meant that way. But he was booed, 5 of my best mates are Celtic through and through and were there and all reported the same, probably only by a minority of the fans, but still true.

Plus i'm sure it wasnt all of goodison giving rooney a hard time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

trolling yet again, fans last week, rooney this week, what next?

A lot of Utd's young players were with other clubs beforehand, richardson was with west ham as far as i know. Every young keeper they had was bought off another club just like Foster was. It's the same with all the big clubs now as there isnt enough talent within their area with that new rule.

true enough about the young players, can never see any club winning anything with a group of players that have come throught the ranks again. sad but true.

in relation to the trolling (!?) i wouldnt imagine saying that a player shouldnt celebrate against an ex club can be deemed as trolling.

Big deal, Rossi joined United at a similar age, he's still a product of the United youth system imo. Playing for your youth sides for about 3 years would put them there in my book.

PHB wrote:
    Big deal, Rossi joined United at a similar age, he's still a product of the United youth system imo. Playing for your youth sides for about 3 years would put them there in my book.
    I dunno - I would see O'Shea, richardson, Eagles, Fletcher as youth products, definately wouldn't see Rossi as a youth product of United - would be like saying Cesc is a product of the arsenal academy (or Pique a product of Uniteds)

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    Ah well then, lets not let facts get in the way of your opinion.

Hobart wrote:
    Ah well then, lets not let facts get in the way of your opinion.
    Facts have no place in a football conversation!

Just look at Jose trying to use "facts" recently - never seen him come out with as much crap before! (though i suppose real facts might be different, as opposed to ones Jose makes up :D)

I would see Cesc as a product of the Arsenal footballing system.
    He joined them when he was 16, and they made him the player he is today.

PHB wrote:
    But he made his debut about 6 months after he signed! Are you telling me arsenal taught him all he needed to know to become a first team player? I don't think they did - the fact is that he was damn close to first team ability when he signed for Arsenal, and that is thanks to the football education he got a barcelona, and his natural talent. Sure, Arsenal have helped, but in the same way they did with Henry - Henry is hardly a product of their youth system, is he?

PHB wrote:
    Q.E.D.

Hobart wrote:
    Q.E.D.
    How the HELL does that make sense?

Arsenal sign Fabregas in the summer of 2003, he makes his debut in October and he is a product of their youth system??

No, but Cesc was thought by the Arsenal system how to really play football the way he plays today.
    While he made his debut only 6 months after, it wasn't until the 2005-2006 season that he really started to play reguarly.

Of course he didn't get thought all he needs to know, but I still think 16 is young enough to be considered a product of the youth system.

Top clubs get a huge amount of players in at very young ages, but the youth teams, i.e. the official youth teams, don't get plays in until 14 at the earliest, often 15 or 16.
    Giggs played at Man City when he was 14, but signed for United when he was around 15/16 (can't remember the exact age), does that make him a product of the City youth system?

Of course Rooney or Agger aren't youth system products, but if somebody plays in a youth system for 2-3 years, I'd consider them a product of that youth system.

not often i agree with Tauren, but come on be real.

Is Daniel Agger a product of the Liverpool youth system?
    Ronney a product of the United youth system?

Youth players are ones who've spent a few years playing for the reserves and learnt most of their trade at the club academy.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Could we get back to talking about Rooney please? Who cares about Agger, Fabregas etc. etc. I'm just glad that Rooney has come to form lately, United really need him playing well with all of the injuries in the squad at the moment.

• Advertisement

Tauren wrote:
    How the HELL does that make sense?

Arsenal sign Fabregas in the summer of 2003, he makes his debut in October and he is a product of their youth system??
    I'm actually in agreement with you. I don't really understand why you have quoted me, PHB's "logic" is that it is his opinion and that makes the facts no "big deal".

We have now descended into a discussion of how one team thought a player how to "really play football" in 6 months. Really, I think some people should just stop digging.

edit....
    PORNAPSTER wrote:
    Could we get back to talking about Rooney please? Who cares about Agger, Fabregas etc. etc. I'm just glad that Rooney has come to form lately, United really need him playing well with all of the injuries in the squad at the moment.

totally agree.

PHB wrote:
    No, but Cesc was thought by the Arsenal system how to really play football the way he plays today.
    While he made his debut only 6 months after, it wasn't until the 2005-2006 season that he really started to play reguarly.

Of course he didn't get thought all he needs to know, but I still think 16 is young enough to be considered a product of the youth system.

Top clubs get a huge amount of players in at very young ages, but the youth teams, i.e. the official youth teams, don't get plays in until 14 at the earliest, often 15 or 16.
    Giggs played at Man City when he was 14, but signed for United when he was around 15/16 (can't remember the exact age), does that make him a product of the City youth system?
    He played regularly in the 2004/05 season, starting the first 5 games in a row (including the charity shield against United)

Giggs signed as a YTS, played in the youth sides, spent less then 1 year at City - United product.

Hobart wrote:
    I'm actually in agreement with you. I don't really understand why you have quoted me, PHB's "logic" is that it is his opinion and that makes the facts no "big deal".
    Sorry wires crossed, i thought you were stating PHBs post was definately true.

Tauren wrote:
    Sorry wires crossed, i thought you were stating PHBs post was definately true.
    No worries, there was a touch of irony to my statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Stupidest argument ever.

He played regularly in the 2004/05 season, starting the first 5 games in a row (including the charity shield against United)

Cause Vieira was injured as far as I remember.
    Giggs signed as a YTS, played in the youth sides, spent less then 1 year at City - United product.

Why is that?
    If you get them for 2 years it's defo their product (as with Eagles), but if it's only for one year, it's not their product.

This idea that your argument is fact while mine is opinion is just stupid. It's all opinions. You think there is a smaller time cut off, I think there is a much bigger one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

PORNAPSTER wrote:
    He is playing better now but his first touch is still unpredictable.
    He seems to have difficulty judging his first touch ,its quite poor for someone of his calibre.

His first touch is just weird, because sometimes it's incredible, while sometimes it's just totally off.

I think the rushing back from injury took a lot out of him, and while he's now hitting form, I think we might not see the best of him again until next season, with a full pre-season in front of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

It's just good he met his form now, at the end of the season, when it really matters. I think that shows the character of Rooney, he's there when you need him.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Tauren wrote:
    I dunno - I would see O'Shea, richardson, Eagles, Fletcher as youth products, definately wouldn't see Rossi as a youth product of United - would be like saying Cesc is a product of the arsenal academy (or Pique a product of Uniteds)
    Did O'Shea not join United at the age of 15 - so where exactly is the 'youth product' cut-off?

I think in terms of the homegrown rule UEFA intend on introducing, they are all 'youth products'.

On Rooney - strange that anyone would have wanted him dropped this season, dubious form or not. United aren't exactly stacked with options in attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

On Rooney - strange that anyone would have wanted him dropped this season, dubious form or not. United aren't exactly stacked with options in attack.

It was when they had saha and larrsson playing and fit, and rooney wasnt playing well. He needed a kick up the backside and dropping him might have helped. Anyways it doesnt matter now :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement