Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PDC Final

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Best match ever.

It would have been an injustice if Taylor had won the bull off and went on to win. It all looked so bleak after 3 sets, the whole pre-match hype looked a joke then Barney ignited so many 180's, the 170 finish, a superb 129, on the 9 darter twice some crucial bull shots to take legs and what a dart to win the bull off. The pleasing thing for the viewer is Taylor was bang in form and he still lost, testament to how good a player Barney is and whos aid he can't chase games.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

awesome viewing....

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

Thought the nail in the coffin in the last set was when Taylor hit the 180, then Barney lashed back with another 180 - was delighted he won it because he is class, pity he didn't put him to bed earlier but that just made it the best Game of Darts ever, let alone the best Final.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Lads im just home from London and the circus tavern and my god was I at the best darts match there hs ever been. I can say that I was in the circus tavern the year Barney met Taylor in the final and Barney won an absolute classic.

I was at the semi-finals as well and was a bit annoyed that they were both 6-0 so when it went 3-0 to Taylor wth Barney only winning one leg I was fuming. But what a comeback and he threw some fantastci darts. 21 maximums in a final, 18 0f them from set 4 on just shows his class.

They are the two best darts players in the world and it showed last night. A word for Taylor because he is the best there has ever been and he took defeat very well last night. Ill upload some of the pictures and videos I took when I get the chance.

Cant wait for next year :D

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Kingp35 wrote:
    Ill upload some of the pictures and videos I took when I get the chance.

Cant wait for next year :D

Excellent stuff, looking forward to seeing them. I'd say the atmosphere was electric over there alright. Mind you at 3-0 down the barney fans, must really have thought a white was was on the cards, judging by how he was playing up to that point.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Yeah i was dreading a white wash because Barney was playing awful stuff but it just shows you the character of the man for him to be able to get his act together and come back in the manner that he did. The 180 he hit in the last leg after Taylor hit one was something very special indeed.

The atmosphere was unreal. I had great seats right in front of the board and half the crowd were up for Taylor and half for Barney. Something special

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

These two players seem to be so far ahead of every one else, wonders whats goint to happen next year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

They are the best of the best!
    Barney was non-existant for the first three sets of the Final.
    He totally turned it around. Very few players can do that in the middle of a match!

Behind these guys would be Part, Manley and Lewis.
    Part was Hot & Cold this year as was Manley and Lewis is too cocky IMO!
    Walked off stage last year!

Colin Lloyd is up there as well because he is capable of some cracking stuff. Dennis Priestley is still capable of beating anyone and the up and coming player of the PDC is our very own Mick McGowan. Watch out for him in 2007 because I think he is something special.

Sh1t forgot about Llyod!
    Hopefully Mick will have continued success.
    Don't think Preistley will win another World Title tbh.

• Advertisement

Your probably right about Priestley but he an quite easily beat the Barneys and Taylors of this world but the problem is he isnt consistant enough. Its the same with all the chasing pack, they can have some great games where tey average over a 100 but then others where they average in the 80's and thats their problem.

If Van Gerwen switches over from the BDO then things could get very interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

who do you think will win the BDO Kingp? I've backed Klaasen each way at 12s...just out of nostalgia for last year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

Kingp35 wrote:
    If Van Gerwen switches over from the BDO then things could get very interesting.

It's not as easy as saying oh I want to join the PDC.

You have to get the points.

Well it depends on the quality of the player and if Van Gerwen wanted to come over you better believe that they would take him.

Van Gerwen is the favourite to win the BDO one and rightly so in my opinion. I thin its between him, Martin Adams and Mervin King. Klaasen is good but very inconsistant. He was very lucky last year. He won the title with an 88 average!

Of course they'd take him.
    Barney could have come over 4 or 5 years ago.
    A lot of players who are not half as good as Barney have come over in that time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

That final was just pure magic. I'm a Barnie fan, I don't mind Taylor at all, love watching him but just somethign about nice guy Barnie. Delighted for him. The scary thing is I was watching it with a mate when Barnie was 3-0 down he was 7-1 to win it. Ste borrowed my laptop and for the crack and put a tenner on Barnie to win!!!

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

McGowan was very impressive, Highest first round average and 2nd in the 2nd round - a cliché but it was just the luck of the draw that he didn't progress... looking forward to seeing a lot more of him on sky in 2007

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

I thought Taylor was very cheeky coming out in the Orange top!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Best game of darts I've ever seen. I was delighted that Barney won - he was definitely the better player on the night. It was quite similar to the Mike Gregory - Phil Taylor final many moons ago (1992 I think), when Gregory was generally on top but just couldnt find the winning double. Very glad that Barney finally did find it.

Great reading through this thread - brought all the tension back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Just curious for peoples views here. After the final Sid Wadell made a comment that was bound to annoy a few old hands. "For my money, these two lads (barnie & Taylor) are the two best players of all time". Now me personally I started watching darts in and around 89 so I missed most of Bristows grateness. When I watch Taylor there is a distict feeling of a calculator running every shot as his pace is what I would call average. When I watch Barney he is so fast its almost pure raw talent your watching. Denis Priestly who I have the upmost respect for yet I just cannot watch him. He is so bloody slow its painful.

For me I would agree and conclude that they are the two greatest the game has ever seen. Just curious if most agree or do you find it hard to just look past Bristow?

• Advertisement

iregk wrote:
    For me I would agree and conclude that they are the two greatest the game has ever seen. Just curious if most agree or do you find it hard to just look past Bristow?

I agree with you, I think Barney and Taylor are the two greatest players to have played the game. Bristow was a great player for his time but you have got to remember that a high 80's or low 90's average would have been good enough to win a World Title in Bristow's time whereas now you almost definitely have to average in the 100's. The average standard of player is so much better now. In Bristow's time you would have about 8 decent players and the rest would be so far behind the others that you practically got a buy to the quarter finals. Bar arguably the first round in this years Championships there were no easy matches for the players because there is a consistant high standard. Only Barney and Taylor had it easy enough although they both had tough second rounds.

So for me it has to be Taylor first with Barney second. you could even argue that there are other players out there at the moment that could have beaten Bristow in his prime. There is no denying what he did for the sport though. Now if only we could get Jocky Wilson to be a darts pundit!

iregk wrote:
    Just curious for peoples views here. After the final Sid Wadell made a comment that was bound to annoy a few old hands. "For my money, these two lads (barnie & Taylor) are the two best players of all time". Now me personally I started watching darts in and around 89 so I missed most of Bristows grateness. When I watch Taylor there is a distict feeling of a calculator running every shot as his pace is what I would call average. When I watch Barney he is so fast its almost pure raw talent your watching. Denis Priestly who I have the upmost respect for yet I just cannot watch him. He is so bloody slow its painful.

For me Taylor is number 1 followed by Barney.
    Priestly is a gent but is slow a fcuk! Awful hard to watch!
    Love Part also but he's too erratic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Double O

The best game of Darts that I have ever seen! It was unreal! 21 180's!? When you think Lloyd had darts to knock him out!!

Van Gerwan out of the BDO, his throw action is the best around I think, a player for the future, will he move over to the PDC??? Saw Klassen's interview after his loss, he said he had a bad year, with a change of agent and other stuff.

Double O wrote:
    Van Gerwan out of the BDO, his throw action is the best around I think, a player for the future, will he move over to the PDC??? Saw Klassen's interview after his loss, he said he had a bad year, with a change of agent and other stuff.

Yeah his throw action is very good. Its a natural sort of throw. Its expected that he will sign over to the PDC on Monday along with Klaasen and King but its not official yet.

Advertisement