Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop mouse?

• 01-01-2007 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

I can't see any other more suitable section to post this question but if you think about it - we all use computers so really it could go anyway.. sorta thing..
    I recently bought a laptop - but have always used a desktop with a mouse.
    the mouse pad is annoying the bejesus outta me - It has a mind of its own!!!!
    Sometimes i will scroll on it to say for example click or a spelling mistake or what have you, and the page will go back one - often i lose things i've already typed etc... other problems include its scrolling system etc...
    Please help!!!! Or would i be better off getting a mouse?

thank you! :D:p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Here.
    Or here.
    Would be more suited to your query.

I have never encountered problems going back pages with a touchpad, but I know how awkward they are to navigate with in comparison to an actual mouse so I would reccomend getting a small bluetooth one when you have the space to use a mouse, and settle for the touchpad when you lack real estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

You are just brushing you hand against the pad without realising it, I used to as well. Anchor your hand on the edge of the laptop case and angle your finger in such a way that it is the only thing that can touch the pad. Also when typing it may help to have your hands approach the keys at angles around the pad, rather than directly over it so you don't brush against it, or using "proper" typing technique and holding your arms in the air so only the tips of your fingers are touching the laptop will fix the problem. I'm assuming you generally rest your wrists on the laptop?

Personally I love the touchpad, since I've only ever owned a laptop (obviously) I've used a desktop, so I learned to get used to it without having to adapt as much knowledge from desktop use if you follow.

*Phew* that was an unexpectedly long post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Backtoblack

Here.
    Or here.
    Would be more suited to your query.

I have never encountered problems going back pages with a touchpad, but I know how awkward they are to navigate with in comparison to an actual mouse so I would reccomend getting a small bluetooth one when you have the space to use a mouse, and settle for the touchpad when you lack real estate.

Right. perfect. Mouse it is then.
    Thank you smellyirishman!

The mousepad must be set up somehow to have a backspace (back to previous page) function. i'll have to look at the set up i suppose. try to cancel it. Particularly useless and moreso quite annoying.
    Thanks for your help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Backtoblack

You are just brushing you hand against the pad without realising it, I used to as well. Anchor your hand on the edge of the laptop case and angle your finger in such a way that it is the only thing that can touch the pad. Also when typing it may help to have your hands approach the keys at angles around the pad, rather than directly over it so you don't brush against it, or using "proper" typing technique and holding your arms in the air so only the tips of your fingers are touching the laptop will fix the problem. I'm assuming you generally rest your wrists on the laptop?

Personally I love the touchpad, since I've only ever owned a laptop (obviously) I've used a desktop, so I learned to get used to it without having to adapt as much knowledge from desktop use if you follow.

*Phew* that was an unexpectedly long post.

No its worse than that. I'm a touch typist so i do position correctly etc when typing. If I am moving say the cursor to click on another area to type the mousepad can take that as a command to backspace!! its really supersensitive or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Sorry didn't mean to assume, but I see people brushing against it without noticing a lot when I watch them using my laptop.

if you were to click on a quick reply box to start typing the page does back? Perhaps you need to adjust the settings in the control panel for the mouse, you can make it less sensitive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved from AH. Come on OP, look before you post. There is two forums that could have suited you.

Never liked the touchpad on my Dell, just got a small USB optical mouse that done the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I have a Microsoft Model: 1020 laptop mouse. It is wired and it works perfectly for me.

I had a wireless but it pissed me off because the batteries keep dying at the worst times and the wire just doesn't annoy me that much. The other advantage to wires is the mouse is feather light and if your moving around you can't really drop it because it at worst hangs by the wire and is light enough that this doesn't do any damage.

52499.jpg

There is a light in it which is a little annoying but it is very comfortable to use and the wire isn't too long or short especially if you have side USB ports which is how I use it. I use it for online gaming and have not had any problems with it whatsoever.

I could never get used to touchpads and I use the trackstick or whatever it is called instead if I don't have my mouse plugged in.

Advertisement