Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop LCD screen problem!!

Options
  • 01-01-2007 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

If this Post is in the wrong place than could someone re-locate it. Thanks!!

My laptop has a thin yellow line going down my screen. I thought it was dead pixels but the line disapears seldomly. And dead pixels show up red when a blue color is displayed on the back ground but its consistently yellow and as i mentioned disappears very seldomly! Now its on the screen from the touch of the button so it aint just on the desktop so I have a funny yet horrible feeling that this problem is deeper than previously believed. I really have no idea what it is. How it got there. Like it wasnt on the screen the last time i used it. I turned it on about 2/3 weeks later and nobody was at the laptop and than it was there the next time. Can anybody HELP??!! :confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

It is likely to be a symptom from a defective display or possibly GPU in the notebook. Not a lot you can do other then have the display replaced by the notebooks manufacturer if at all possible.

If you think it may be a software issue with the GPU however unlikely what model GPU is it you could always try updating the display drivers.

If it was a Dell notebook there appears to have been a bad batch of screens associated with some models judging from this forum thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 The Milk Man

Nope its a compaq and have had it for some time now and never a problem. What is the GPU that you mentioned a few times? I dont think its an lcd problem so i would be inclined to leave that as a last reason. Updating the graphics driver you say?How would i go about doing that?Go onto the Compaq site??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

GPU=Graphics processor unit, your graphics card is probably on-board (schtuck onto your mobo). You should be able to get the latest drives from the Compaq website, aye.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Ruu wrote:
    GPU=Graphics processor unit, your graphics card is probably on-board (schtuck onto your mobo). You should be able to get the latest drives from the Compaq website, aye.
    No drivers will not help. He said its on the screen from the moment he turns it on so it cant be a driver problem as no drivers have loaded at that stage.

No sounds like as others have said.
    Its not something that can be fixed unfortunatly. Unless its something silly like a connector partially unseated. I doubt it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 The Milk Man

In other words..im screwed? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Most likely yes :(

How old is the laptop is it still under warranty ?

Advertisement