Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Ballymun ever get better?

• 02-01-2007 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Ballymun was originally a high class location to accomadate the upcoming population..

Then due to numerous reasons the area was urbanised and fell to decline..

now in 2007 the goverment is still rebuilding and trying to fix the area..

They are spending millions and millions on this project.

but the question is how much money will they have to throw at theese people to get them to behave right?

And even if all the buildings are rebuild . will the people ever change?

And if you think it wont , do you have any suggestions that you think would help the people and the atmosphere around there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Ballymun was originally a high class location to accomadate the upcoming population..

but the question is how much money will they have to throw at theese people to get them to behave right?

And if you think it wont , do you have any suggestions that you think would help the people and the atmosphere around there?

When you say "Throw at the these people to get them to behave right ?" it comes across like you think every single person in Ballymun is behaving badly.

Get rid of all the flats, even the smaller ones is what I think, seems to be a hiding place for the trouble makers, I've yet to see one guard go anywhere near the hang out spots, even when something is reported nothing can be done because they just easily disappear into the numerous flats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Pyr0 wrote:

Get rid of all the flats, even the smaller ones is what I think, seems to be a hiding place for the trouble makers, I've yet to see one guard go anywhere near the hang out spots, even when something is reported nothing can be done because they just easily disappear into the numerous flats.

That's ridiculous. There are "bad" people living in private flats and apartments too. Should we bulldoze them all?

The council are a soft touch to the people in Ballymun and similar places. If a resident/family cause trouble, they should get one chance and if there's a reoccurance, they should be evicted and no further accommodation provided. They get free/nominal cost accommodation provided to them, a generous (in comparison to other countries) dole, and many still choose to make the lives of their neighbours and surrounding areas a misery. Council accommodation is meant to be a 'hand up' not a 'right'.

Also, isn't it supposed to be on a non-longterm basis? I wonder how fair it is that people are in council accommodation for generations, yet they're obviously not on the poverty line. It's too easy to get a free ride in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'll ask you the same question I asked you when you originally posted this rubbish: I'm from Ballymun, in what way am I supposed behave differently than i already do?

Also: whoever moved this, Ballymun is not in north county Dublin..Dublin city forum or nothing please :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

eth0_ wrote:
    That's ridiculous. There are "bad" people living in private flats and apartments too. Should we bulldoze them all?

Yeah I suppose you're right, what I meant was if the built houses for everyone living in the flats (which I *think* they're doing*) they could tear them down to get rid of gangs hanging around in the entrances. I live right across from a block of flats, you should see the size of the gangs that hang around there. A lot of them are well known around the area, and not for good reasons. I personally would like them gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

why was this moved?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

big deal if you tear down the flats the gangs will just move somewhere else , i'm originally from donaghede and the gangs hang out at the shops / fields etc , no apt or flat block in site

on a side note i always find it funny how they're knocking down the flats to replace em with 5-6 apt blocks ........ whats the difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

dubmick wrote:
    why was this moved?

Because topics relating to specific areas go to their regional forums (it was in After Hours), sorreh if this is in the incorrect Duberlin forum. (its close enough anyway) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

miju wrote:
    on a side note i always find it funny how they're knocking down the flats to replace em with 5-6 apt blocks ........ whats the difference?

the difference is that private landlords are getting apartments on what was public owned land for knockdown prices, im sure we'll hold a tribunal some day to tell us all :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

OP's name says it all

OP's name says it all

Oh please, back to the PC brigade with you :rolleyes:

The OP might not have said it in a very eloquent manner, but that's what a lot of people are saying. I don't think he's picking on Ballymun, you could say the same about any area that's gotten itself a bad name because a fair proportion of its residents are scum. Rewarding those that are scumbags with a shiny new house/flat is reinforcing their belief that they can do what the hell they like.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

The problems in Ballymun can't and won't be solved by a change in accomidation. tbh i don't think the problems in Ballymun (or for that matter the problems scumbags cause as a whole) will ever be solved. There will always be scumbags / knackers, whatever you want to call them, who will continue to produce more scumbags and live as the arse end of society. Thats just the way it'll be.

(And i'm not saying that everyone in Ballymun is a scumbag, just to make that clear.)

andrew wrote:
    There will always be scumbags / knackers, whatever you want to call them, who will continue to produce more scumbags and live as the arse end of society. Thats just the way it'll be.

Because they're not given much in the way of support. It's easy to turn a child 'knacker' into a citizen with morals, but once they reach adulthood it's almost impossible.

Like I said, they break they rules they should be evicted. Give them one chance, but evict them and see how they fare when nothing is handed to them for free anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

im from ballymun, and i try to stay away from the whole "ballymun" thing. i dont associate with a lot of people there and try to spend as little time as possible there. i know the bad areas and the good areas.

the regeneration was a good thing and a bad thing. ie. the gangs that used to keep themselves to themselves down the bottom of the blocks now find themselves having more street corners to hang around.

i live in a cul de sac, where there was practically a 0% crime ratio compared to ther rest of ballymun. but when they built houses out the back of my houses. more people had more reason to walk through my area and down the laneway at the side of the houses to get to the houses out the back. if you follow. since the houses out the back of mine were built. my car has been vandalised 3 times, twice in an attepted robbery. and my shed has been broken in to twice. not to mention the other houses in the area

Ruu wrote:
    Because topics relating to specific areas go to their regional forums (it was in After Hours), sorreh if this is in the incorrect Duberlin forum. (its close enough anyway) :)

It should be in East.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Movershaker

dubmick wrote:
    It should be in East.

:confused: Ballymun is in the north west of Dublin City. Anyway...

I'm from near Ballymun and personally I think there are areas in Dublin that are a hundred times worse. Ballymun will just never shake off the stigma attached to it.

Aesthetically, I don't know what the hell they're doing with the place, but the new white apartments and the Days Inn Hotel are absolutely vile as far as I'm concerned. Already they look shabby and cheaply built (from the outside anyway). I just don't understand why they would tear down buildings in bad condition and replace them with ugly, badly designed buildings that would look better on the Costa del Sol somewhere. The rain has already caused damp marks under the windows and there are chunks missing out of the concrete. Why they couldn't just go with a more classic, timeless design I will never understand. It looks anything but the nice little neighbourly town centre we were led to believe it would. The entire place looks dated already and it's not even finished!!

And don't even get me started on that disgusting copper effect panelling on the front of the other hotel! Those architects should be shot :mad:

East is for East of Ireland, Ballymun is neither Dublin City nor Dublin County. Maybe we need a Dublin Suburbs forum:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 brain damaged

dubmick wrote:
    why was this moved?
    oh it was in the wrong section..

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

There are plenty of good, decent people in Ballymun. It only takes a very small minority to give a place a bad name. Don't generalise.

Advertisement