Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb directional ariel

Options
  • 02-01-2007 2:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

I have attempted to obtain Digiweb in the past but no signal.

Was thinking perhaps it may be possible to obtain a directional
    ariel. Has anyone heard to this. Can't get a service from anyone
    (except satellite). (Will try 3g today.)

I live 5 miles from the nearest Digiweb ariel as the crow flies with line of
    site at one inconvenient site and almost line of site at a convenient
    site. Have tried the convenient site with standard ariel.
    Have not tried the non convenient site yet with standard ariel.

Cheers,
    Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You need to talk to Digiweb about this.

Also there are major differences between different wireless systems. Theoretically high gain directional aerials exist for all systems, even 3G, but in practice:
    :: They may not be commercially available
    :: It might cost several thousand Euro for supply & install
    :: It won't solve any LOS issues (Hills, Buildings, Trees blocking signal)
    :: May be large and require planning permission
    :: May in some cases violate Comreg's regulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I have seen a rather unusual "high gain" aerial a few weeks ago on an Eircom FWA install that was working 16kms away from the base station, it was much the same as a satellite Dish except it had the normal square antenna instead of a satellite LNB on the end.

It was like the dish (80cms) was being used to collect the weak signal and focus it onto the receiver. It was strange and unfortunately I did not have my camera that evening. The system has since been replaced by the normal antenna (a square foot white thingy) as it went faulty I was informed. This system is now working good despite the majority of the distance being over water whoch can cause havoc with the signal I believe.

Advertisement