Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ross O'Carroll Kelly Series

Options
  • 02-01-2007 3:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

I've just finished the Ross O'Carroll Kelly series of books and as a native of "da country".. I have to say they were the best books I've read in a long time. I've lived in South Dublin in the past and I found it hilarious matching the characters in the books to people I've met.

Can anyone tell me if Paul Howard will write any more books in this series?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭quazzy

I'd say there'll be another one along in autumn.
    I've read all 6 books and I think the last few efforts have been just ok - not as funny as the first couple but I will still probably continue to read them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

The last one I read was 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightdress' and that was just brilliant, I expect that there will be more because they must be a real earner for him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭quazzy

r3nu4l wrote:
    The last one I read was 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightdress' and that was just brilliant, I expect that there will be more because they must be a real earner for him :)

That was book 5 IIRC; the newest book (6) is "I should have got off at Sydney Parade."

It was released in October 2006.
    'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightdress' was released in Oct 2005.

So, I'm gonna assume we'll have book 7 around the same time in 2007

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Oobie

I liked them until the Curious Incident. I thought it was the biggest load of rubbish so I don't think I'll bother reading Sydney Parade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I think the latest ones show that he's run out of things to say about ROCK.

Sydney Parade feels very tired and laboured ...nothing new in it at all about Ross...felt very much like he was trying to extend the brand by writing about Ross's northside son, the pregnancy and his mother's venture into publishing.

As someone posted earlier he's probably making so muck money that its understandable ..... but I wouldnt be surprised if he had already written some horrific death scenes for Ross et al.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Lexus1976

Read PS I scored the bridesmaid. I think his books are the biggest load of rubbish I've read in a long time. Seriously think they are published for 13 yr old south dublin shool boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Absolute rubbish as the above poster has said. Furthermore I think that even if it is some ironic form of literary 'snobbery', indirectly referring to them as literature seems to be giving this series of books an undeserved accolade. It's nothing more than garbage invented for aeroplane reading, an empty, mindless sort of activity that literature fans should be discouraging.

Frankly i believe this stuff should have stayed on the back of the Sunday Tribune, or whatever paper it came from.

burn_ang1a.jpg:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Well youre hardly going to read them if your looking for a challenging or gripping novel now are you?

Get off you high horse and realise that these books are a bit of fun, and if you dont like them, then they werent aimed at your taste. Remember, taste is opinion.

On the topic of the books themselves, I think the Miseducation Years is the best in the series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

if theres one thing i hate more than those books, it's when they put that gob****e on tv during the rugby. complete waste of space!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Lexus1976

Wonders if the Southsiders that read these books realise that he is taking the piss out of the Southsider way of life! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Outcast

I read two and thought they were hilarious but I think he's dragged it out too long. To me it just seems that it's gotten tired, same jokes over and over. He pulled it off at first but now its old.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

Outcast wrote:
    I read two and thought they were hilarious but I think he's dragged it out too long. To me it just seems that it's gotten tired, same jokes over and over. He pulled it off at first but now its old.
    i got should have got off at sydny parade for xmas. probably the funniest book ive read. i havnt read the others though so thats probably why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Oobie

This morning I finished Sydney Parade and it was even worse than the last one. I definitely won't be reading any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

i really liked them up until the Curious Incident, i got Sydney Parade for Christmas but haven't bother to read past the first chapter, it just seems a bit 'old' at this stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Oul Wan

The only one I've read is "The Curious Incident.......". I thought it was mildly amusing in parts but that's as far as it goes. Found there were also parts where I was debating putting the book down and not picking it up again. What was the first book in the series? Maybe I'll try that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

The guy has been living off one joke for what 5 books now??? He has practically zero writing talent and is feeding off the very fashionable cult of reverse snobbery to make himeslf a lot of money. If he wrote something like this slagging off Tallaght/Finglas/Ballymun/Coolock how many of you would read it?

I am not a literary snob and i'm not from D4, just sick of this one trick pony and his sh!te books!!

they're not ****, they're just old! like he should have stopped after book too, its just gone a bit ridicuous now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Malteaser! wrote:
    they're not ****, they're just old!

Old :confused: he's knocked out 3/4 in last 2 years, i wouldn't call that old!

i don't mean old in that sense, i just mean that the idea isn't a new one anymore, people are kinda bored with it i guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

jackbhoy wrote:
    I am not a literary snob and i'm not from D4, just sick of this one trick pony and his sh!te books!!

Easy solution! Stop reading them and they wont annoy you anymore :)

I still get a laugh from the ones I've read.. they're not going to win any international awards but they're a good laugh. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

I think the series is hilarious, although I agree with most above opinions, in that the last 2 books are not as good as the earlier ones.

They are certainly not high-brow lit, but they are quite funny. My wife always knows when I am reading a RO'CK book, cos I am laughing my head off. :D

IMO he should end on a high note, and kill off Ross in the next book. Unfortunately, I have the feeling that the temptation to continue milking the series will be too strong and we'll be reading about Ross's grandchildren playing for Rock in 2030....

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

Only just got into these, saw them on special offer. Have to admit I love them, it's not high art but it's decent, funny reading, something light for the bus ride to work and back. I'm onto "The Curious Incident..." at the moment.
    I reckon the best was The Orange Mocha.. Years.

Advertisement