Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

career guidance

Options
  • 02-01-2007 5:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭

hey, I posted earlier in PI and seems this is the place to be.

c+p:

I'd like to make some changes and do something with my life but I can't find any direction or feel inclined to any specific area.
    My job is very sucky at the minute and I knew when I was taking it that it was just going to be a stepping stone to find something else, as well as money in the pocket (which was desperately needed).
    As it is it's funded by FAS, so I get the oppertunity to get some training out of it but I really have no idea how I'm going to use it.
    I'm just after passing the thirty mark and in my twenties I had plenty of motivation and drive to better myself in everything I did. I have a decent leaving cert and while I didn't do third level directly after school, I did plenty of catch up over the years and have some paper behind me but right now it's fairly worthless.

I spent my early twenties doing admin and office clerk type duties and went foreign for a change of scenery for a bit, got back and changed direction and went into the social care field.
    I don't feel like I am capable of even working in those areas now, especially the latter, so much so that I requested my current job would keep me behind the scenes where I wouldnt have to work with people directly and I could just get on with burying my head into my work. (scrubbing)
    I used have a hard time not bringing work home and it was dificult dealing with the emotional strain of it and after leaving the social care scene I was out of work for almost three years, so now I'm going through the process of getting back into the swing of things.

I feel empty inside though and I'm thinking about going back to school as a mature student just so my brain will have something to do but even at that I have no idea as to what I can or am able to do.
    (my own personal skills are more creative than practical and never really felt they would ever be applicable careerwise)
    any suggestions would be appreciated.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Is there any particular subject/career that interests you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

in a word..no. Wish there was. Don't even know where to start, I mean i'm not looking at three years of study just yet but if i found the right field I might find it's something I would like to do full time.
    As it is, I'm being offered some money and time to do something that should open up further oppertunities, its just I can't figure out how to use it.
    Sorry if it sounds retarded, think I just need some inspiration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

hold the phone, I found something.

looks suitable, affordible and possibly lead into other areas of study. Seem to have located it at just the right time too. :)
    excellent.

http://www2.wit.ie/StudyatWIT/AdultEd/CoursesJan2007/Description,8051,en.htm

Advertisement