Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Year hopes

Options
  • 02-01-2007 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭

Well gents, having had a dissapointing festive season as far as points picked up goes, what can we hope for in the new year. Have we completely blown all our chances of champs league ? Do we just hope we can get Uefa tru the league or do we really think we can win it this season ? Hows about our FA Cup hopes, bit of a lottery if ye ask me !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I think we've lost out on Champions League already. We're realistically 7 points behind 4th (once Arsenal dispose of Charlton tonight) with only 16 games left to go, and I can't see us going on a good enough run to get back up there. The best we can hope for is to get 5th or 6th, with a good FA Cup run, perhaps a final with Chelsea in the League cup, and if things go our way maybe something from the UEFA cup.

Still, 4 points over Christmas is a disaster, even though we were playing tough teams. I'm not overly optimisitic, especially considering our mounting injuries, but we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Bad christmas period. Hopes for second half, good league form and a top five finish, some silverware(no reason why we cant win either the league cup or uefa) as you say fa cup is a bit of a lotto. Add to that a decent LM in the transfer window and it will have been a very productive season me thinks. Is that too much to ask for?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

I think we have done exceptionally well to be 7th considering away form.
    Need to field more physical team in away games - finally i think Jol sees it too with Tainio on Saturday.
    We have a quality team but lack physicality against teams like Bolton, Arsenal, Liverpool.
    Our defending particularly clearing balls drives me insane - latest Zakora, can think of Staltieri last year a couple of times.
    Would not mind playing Liverpool in Carling sf - they have had the look a couple of times against us. Would not fancy us at all against Arsenal.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

If only we could pick up a few away wins !! If we do we would be right up in the mix for 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

We won't get 4th.

Top 6 is the best we can hope for IMO, both the Mickeys and the Goons look like they'll complete the Big 4tm come the season's end, especially if Henry is back to his best (seemed to have a good game last night, but against 10 Charlton men I'd look good...:D )

Both the Carling and UEFA Cups look our best bet for silverware, but I'd accept a good showing in all 3 cups and a top 6 finish.

Most importantly, some continuity in our playing staff would be nice, not another half dozen arrivals/departues.

• Advertisement
Advertisement