Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quotation Query

Options
  • 02-01-2007 10:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hi,

I got a quotation for E15,000 for the following works from a contractor to restore an old house I purchased:

Plaster & Dry Line L Shaped Hall: 12' x 6' x 22' with dry lining

Plaster & Dry Line Sitting Room & remove fire palce and attached cabinet: 16'7" x 11'

Plaster & Dry Line Room & 13' 10" x 10' 6"

Plaster & Dry Line Room 11' x 9'4"

Plaster & Dry Line Room 14' x 11'

Plaster & Dry Line Room: 9'7" x 10' 6"

The quotation includes plaster & dry line cellings, install new light fittings and extra sockets, remove and put back radiators.

Is this a reasonable quote?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Ex VAT or inc. VAT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

inc of VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I haven't a clue tbh but how many extra sockets are you getting installed?

I'm assuming these will all need wiring? That can be expensive if you are putting in three or four double sockets per room. Not so expensive as to knock a few grand off or anything but expensive nonetheless.

As always, two or three quotes from different builders/plasterers is a good idea :)

r3nu4l wrote:
    I haven't a clue tbh but how many extra sockets are you getting installed?

I'm assuming these will all need wiring?

2 double sockets in one room,

2 new light fittings installed

Yes all new wiring the others the wiring is there already just brought out with the dry lining & skim

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Sounds OK to me. A lot of work there ye know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Thomas the Tank

I also have a quotation query! Got a quote from an electrician to replace our emmersion (imersion??) switch for 250 quid excluding VAT and another 50 if we wanted a timer switch fitted. To me that seems totally outrageous for what I would think is a relatively small job but as I haven't a clue about these things, was wondering if anyone could advise whether this is a rip off merchant or not??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

Vas_Guy wrote:
    Hi,

I got a quotation for E15,000 for the following works from a contractor to restore an old house I purchased:

Plaster & Dry Line L Shaped Hall: 12' x 6' x 22' with dry lining

Plaster & Dry Line Sitting Room & remove fire palce and attached cabinet: 16'7" x 11'

Plaster & Dry Line Room & 13' 10" x 10' 6"

Plaster & Dry Line Room 11' x 9'4"

Plaster & Dry Line Room 14' x 11'

Plaster & Dry Line Room: 9'7" x 10' 6"

The quotation includes plaster & dry line cellings, install new light fittings and extra sockets, remove and put back radiators.

Is this a reasonable quote?
    is it including materials?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

I also have a quotation query! Got a quote from an electrician to replace our emmersion (imersion??) switch for 250 quid excluding VAT and another 50 if we wanted a timer switch fitted. To me that seems totally outrageous for what I would think is a relatively small job but as I haven't a clue about these things, was wondering if anyone could advise whether this is a rip off merchant or not??

Yes it does.
    so 300 euro in total for 30mins work !! he must be a looney.

I take it's just the switch and not the actual heater element in the tank.
    If it's the switch on the wall - half hour job at most.

would you not try yourself.
    Get a phase tester and turn off power to the switch -take a pic/draw a diagram -get new switch and replace. E300 - I'd drive to kerry to replace a switch for that.

karltimber wrote:
    Yes it does.
    so 300 euro in total for 30mins work !! he must be a looney.

OP, Sounds like he doesn't want the job.. He is giving you an outrages price to scare you off.

But then again hes quids in if you insist on him doing it.

hiscan wrote:
    is it including materials?

yes the materials are included are they really that expensive?, decided to look elsewhere for quotations, it's a crazy price for a bit of dry lining & plastering, I would say there is 2 weeks work max in it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I also have a quotation query! Got a quote from an electrician to replace our emmersion (imersion??) switch for 250 quid excluding VAT

Too expensive, shop round

Got the radiators taken off and the sockets and light wiring installed, the excisting sockets & light fittings brought out for the dry lining for E125

Got a quotation for the dry lining & plastering E3,800 inc VAT, materials not included.

Waiting on a quote from a team of Brazillian tradesmen

Advertisement