Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My polo is sick

Options
  • 02-01-2007 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Please excuse my limited technical knowledge when it comes to cars, but I need some answers... My 00 VW polo has suddenly stopped working as well as it used to. It has awful trouble going up hills in any gear and the engine sounds different than it did before this problem arose. It's like maybe there's a problem getting fuel to the engine or something?? I used to have problems when I'd try to start it after leaving it for an hour, I'd have to revv it to get it going and even then the revs would drop off and it cuts out when you take your foot off the accelerator. Can anyone suggest what might be wrong??

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Welcome to boards.
    TBH it could be anything.
    Contact your mechanic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I'm having a similiar issue with my Polo. When I start the car, the engine rev needle keeps jumping up and down, and the engine is revving. This happens even though I haven't pressed the clutch or the accelerator at this stage. It also causes the headlights to dim then brighten again continously (sp?). Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Check your air filter. There might be something blocking it and air cant get to the engine. Any warning lights on the dash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

No warning lights on the dash, but I'm going to check the air filter this afternoon. Thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I had similiar problem with my VW Bora diesel a few weeks ago- it was loosing power on hills and take off. Changed the oil, fuel and air filters and it's going perfect agian. Think it might have been dirty fuel that may have got into the system too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Sparky78

I had a similar problem with my 00 polo a couple of years ago. I pretty sure I had to change the throttle body. Theres a small chip inside that goes and you have to replace the whole thing(apparently). I'd do the whole changing the oil, filters etc first though because they ant too cheap(cant remember how much).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Dirty/faulty throttle body is a possible culprit. I'd guess at the intake manifold pressure sensor (common enough fault). But any advice here is a pure guess - educated or otherwise.

Get a diagnostic check done - its the only way to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cmahon

Thanks for the advice, I was hoping it wasn't anything serious!!

Advertisement