Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous animals legislation

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Gillie wrote:
    To be fair if I meet (and I have done) someone with a Rottie and no lead/muzzle, no amount of "Ah he won't touch ya" will make me feel better!

I've seen a rottie w/o a muzzle at a dog show. What a big wuss, a little rodent dog (can't recall the breed they all look like rats to me) bit her on the leg and she started howling.

There's a female rottweiler at the kennels we board our dog at. She's the quiet one, the others are a red setter and a variety of mutts. The red setters they used to have were the most intimidating dogs out there, they used to rush up to people and bark

My friends male rottweiler is a sweetheart and very friendly with children, her mother's Lhaso Apso is a vicious little brute on the other hand and is definately not to be trusted!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

Although I don't agree with muzzles I have to get my GSD pup used to wearing one. By the way, unless this has been changed recently, a Halti will legally cover a dog owner in the case of a Muzzle. I know they can cause restrictions for the dog but would you want someone to fausly accuse your dog of biting them just because they hate your dog? I have heard of this happening and I will not take the chance. Automatically, people ASSUME GSD's as dangerous - but this is because of a handful of aggressive dogs. Remember not all dogs are aggressive.
    I do agree with most of you on the lead issue. As a dog trainer I know you are legally to keep your dog under control at all times in a public place - this does include parks. Fine some dogs are excellently trained to return to their owners on command - others are not. There is nothing more threatening to a dog on a leash then a dog coming towards it with none on. I walked my sisters GSD in a park (ballincollig for those who know it). He is abot 18months old now and good on leash - not perfect but well behaved. The amount of small dogs approaching him and trying to bite was unreal. The owners blaming ME for having an "aggressive" dog. I quickly pointed out he was under control unlike theirs and would promptly call the warden if they did not put their dog on a leash - my dog was just as entitled to walk there and their dog. She huffed and puffed a little, but seeing I wasn't joking, she grabbed her dog and put on a leash and walked off quickly. My sisters dog (Kesh), sitting next to me enthralled by the goings on, making sure the small dogs didn't come near me. The joys!:rolleyes:

Advertisement