Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thumbs up to the government...

Options
2»

Comments

Macy wrote:
    Yeah, because the Government has no responsibility for the state of mental health services in the country.

Yeah because countries with better mental health services have eliminated suicide altogether...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

There are small roads in Ireland with 100 km/hr speed limits posted. There are cart tracks with 80 km/hr limits. Any government that permits this is inherently incompetent.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There are small roads in Ireland with 100 km/hr speed limits posted. There are cart tracks with 80 km/hr limits. Any government that permits this is inherently incompetent.

Much as I would like this to be true the power to control these is vested in incompetent local councils.

They could easily change the legislation to have road limits set by a national entity with the relative expertise. It should be a task for the NRA, probably. Most stretches of N road should be downgraded to 80 and most country R roads should be 60.

There has been no movement on speed cameras in Ireland. Every single black spot in Ireland should have a permanent speed camera with a digital camera and wireless connection, beaming offences straight to the garda station. That would deter speeding. But nothing has been done.

Road deaths may be down slightly, but that is mostly down to raised awareness due to media coverage and less to any steps taken by the government. The credit should go to RTE News and the national papers, not the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What, of course, they should also do is determine what percentage of road deaths are suspected suicides, and ergo have nothing to do with licensing, the roads, education or the Government at all...
    The Kildare County Coroner has done research on this, of 86 road traffic deaths he has investigated, there were no confirmed suicides and one potential suicide. The figures may be quite low.
    Are you not also playing the blame game? you are blaming the government.
    No, it is a call for leadership and a call for action - two things the government control. Personally, I would gladly take Martin Cullen's job, but that might result in a constitutional crisis. Until that time, all I can do is advise him and the RSA.
    You are right that blaming someone after the incident does little my point was that as soon as there are a cluster of road deaths its the government that begins to fel the pressure not idiotic drivers, and there are a lot of them on irish roads.
    Anecdotally, a cluster of deaths has a following lull.

• Advertisement

thumbs down for the government

road.jpg

a similar road in the netherlands would be 60 km/hr, and there'd be red and white arrow markings on the corner.

it might be contributory factor to why the road death rate in ireland is twice as high as in holland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

is_that_so wrote:
    Much as I would like this to be true the power to control these is vested in incompetent local councils.

The N2 has a speed limit of 120kmph so as to make out that it is a motorway. A lot of FF people actually refer to it as the N2 motorway. The speed limit on that road is politically motivated.

http://www.n2finglasashbourne.ie/

Advertisement