Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Chrome plating wheels on Jeep

Options
  • 02-01-2007 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi, does anyone know a good place in Dublin to get alloy wheels chromed? The wheels are original Jeep alloys finished in a matt steel, but there is a lot of chrome on the Jeep and it'd be nice to match it.

Do they "dip" the wheels in Chrome or how does it work?

Are there any downsides to chroming non-chrome alloy wheels?

Thanks in advance for any advise.

:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

I d'ont know much about chrome plating wheels but with metal bumpers on classic cars for example, it is a highly skilled 3-4 stage process, in order to get a quality finish and one which does not tarnish easily. Very expensive.

If you want chrome wheels (bit bling), best to just go out and buy replacements.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Mr. 'H'

Thanks Tom, that makes a lot of sense. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

I think the process tom mentioned is called electro plating which is very very expensive.

A cheaper option would be powder coat,but im not sure if it can be done in a chrome colour.A set of chrome jeep wheels will cost you 2-3k

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Mr. H wrote:
    Are there any downsides to chroming non-chrome alloy wheels?

Yup. You look like a Chav, or a frustrated Harley Davidson rider. Chrome on cars = 1990 unless it's only small accents here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Mr. 'H'

ned78 wrote:
    Yup. You look like a Chav, or a frustrated Harley Davidson rider. Chrome on cars = 1990 unless it's only small accents here and there.

LOL!!! :D

That's the first time I have ever been accused of being a chav. That gave me a good laugh....

Good one Ned! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

ned78 wrote:
    unless it's only small accents here and there.

Thats possibly even more chav,

Watch for the next time aldi or lidl have there chrome strips in and a week later every second car has it around there tail lights and doors,its as gick as an wooden dash kit

Advertisement