Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I setup or check what ip address people can see?

Options
  • 02-01-2007 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have Eircom BB and their standard BB router. My gateway of course is 192.168.1.254 which I view the page. But I wish to share my computer's ip address to host an old game.

ie, let's say my addr is 192.168.1.1
    my gateway is 192.168.1.254

How do I determine/setup an address for outsiders to access to connect

In the old days of dial-up - it was so simple. I'd find my dynamic ip and share it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Same thing, you have a dynamic ip.. you can get from whatismyip.com but you will have to poke a hole in your router/firewall to allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

ok I better learn this...
    On my router I can see my ip address as 86.41.xxx.xxx . So I set up a rule and a port hole to allow I guess..

Hi I checked my external ip address is 86.41.149.233 (its dynamic). However I don't see it when I ping it. This is on my home eircom BB router page.

Am I describing this correctly?

My external ip: 86.41.149.233
    |
    |
    Router Gateway: 192.168.1.254
    |
    |
    Internal PC one: 192.168.1.4
    Internal PC two: 192.168.1.1

Say I wish to use PC (192.168.1.1) for a game of snooker with someone online. In the days of dial-up I would
    simply get an ip address off my ISP when connected. I can't ping this external ip address...

Confirmed this with useful sites like http://whatsmyip.org

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 339 ✭✭mastermind2005

Hi, U need to setup port forwarding for ur router/firewall, google it and you should find what your looking for,

Ok I tried to set up port forward by following the exact guide for Eircom's Netopia netopia router. 3347NWG. I have a wired connection to it and general net usage is fine.

Ok port forwarding example for utorrent (as an example).

1. Checked what port utorrent is on. It is on 32460.
    2. Open go into 192.168.1.254 (router home page).
    3. Open up expert mode -> Configure -> Advanced -> NAT.
    4. Click on Define Custom service. Pick Port Forwarding: Range of Ports.
    5. Enter Port Range details:
    * Service name: utor
    * Global Port Range 32460 - 32460
    * Base Host Port 32460
    * Protocol: TCP
    6. Pick utor off the list and enable it.
    7. Select Host Device -> Pick 192.168.1.1 which is my PC on the internal lan.

8. Go to utorrent's port checker...
    http://www.utorrent.com/testport.php?port=32460

Checking port 32460 on 83.71.104.xxx...

Error! Port 32460 does not appear to be open.

I disabled my windows firewall. The router firewall is on medium setting which is recommended. I restarted the router. Still the same message.

What else do I need to do? This is following port forward's website instructions...

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netopia/3347NWG/Utorrent.htm

I would love to understand why this is not working! :(

I notice that I can not ping my external address 83.71.104.xxx... is that correct or a symptom of the issue? My internal address is 192.168.1.1

Check my port 32460 on CanYouSeeMe.org - Open Port Check Tool too - verified.
    Error: I could not see your service on 83.71.104.228 on port (32460)
    Reason: Connection refused

• Advertisement

I reboot the router again and set the firewall to low.

This level of firewall protection allows information to be sent securely to the Internet, but prevents most attempts from the Internet from identifying the network address of your Router. Some methods of network address identification are allowed, such as via a pinhole, IPMaps or a NAT default server.

I guess the firewall needs to be set to low anytime I want use my utorrent NAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

hamster wrote:
    Check my port 32460 on CanYouSeeMe.org - Open Port Check Tool too - verified.
    Error: I could not see your service on 83.71.104.228 on port (32460)
    Reason: Connection refused
    I don't know anything about utorrent but it would be worth checking if you really do have something listening on TCP port 32460 of 192.168.1.1 - open a command prompt on this machine and run netstat -a to verify.

Thanks. I know port 32460 is open. I have this confirmed. Running netstat -a doesn't show the port number however.

The highest port number in the list is 10110 under the local address column. I'll read up a bit more about.

TCP Ganymede:10110 Ganymede:0 LISTENING

*edit* - The port appears when its being actively used (use of -a parameter). port 32460 is popping up in the list during a torrent download for example. 12 times in this case. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

hamster wrote:
    I reboot the router again and set the firewall to low.

This level of firewall protection allows information to be sent securely to the Internet, but prevents most attempts from the Internet from identifying the network address of your Router. Some methods of network address identification are allowed, such as via a pinhole, IPMaps or a NAT default server.

I guess the firewall needs to be set to low anytime I want use my utorrent NAT.

That's about right. NAT on the netopia 3347 doesn't work correctly if the firewall is on any higher than low. Mainly this is because the routers have a pretty poor firewall. I had the same problem setting up a computer to use VNC for remote access, and it took me a while to cop that the firewall needed to be reduced.

Advertisement