Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freewheel tool

Options
  • 02-01-2007 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Last night I started work on a project trail/downhill bike.. It's basically gonna be my 'trasher'. The back wheel on it was buckled, so I decided to swap it with the front wheel on my doner bike. The only problem is, I don't have a freewheel tool, and I need to get the gear off the old back rim to use on the replacement.

Just curious, does anybody know of a way to either get by without using one (seems like it'll be very difficult) or maybe somewhere reasonably local (south dublin) that I could pick one up cheap enough.

Or, does anybody have any tips for straighening a buckled wheel? There must be some little trick to it..

Cheers guys!

Wes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

to remove a feewheel you need 3 things 1)a chain whip. 2)a shifting spanner. 3)the freewheel tool, bring the wheel to the bike shop and they will show you the right one(there are loads)

you cant put a front wheel on the back because 1) it aint big enough(rear wheels are longer due to gears) 2) you dont have a freehub or a thread to screw on the freewheel on the front wheel.

to straighted a buckled wheel you need 1) a jig(if youve v-brakes you can do it in the frame,otherwise making a jig is higly rccomended. 2)spoke key, there are different sized spokes so bring the wheels to the shop and find out the size.

you can get a good wheel with shimano deore hubs for e45.

out of curiosity what bikes are you using, its not a good idea to build a dh rig from secondand parts or inferior parts, could kill you. and im being serious!!!
    thats why dirt jump and dh rigs cost alot more...over e1000(and thats the cheap ones)take a look at the dh rigs on www.konaworld.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Hmm.. interesting.. In that case I think I might just try to straighten it. My plan now is to slap the wheel back on the bike (just to hold it) then with the wheel spinning, use a stick to find where the buckle exactly is, straighten it (by tightening the spokes?) and move onto the next step in this long proccess..

It's an old Raleigh just got the front suspension, planning on using as mainly a trick bike, just ordered a racer from Germany (waiting on delivery) so I won't be trying anything on that, gonna be just a commuter.

Cheers for your advice!

Advertisement