Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Windscreen needed

Options
  • 02-01-2007 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

A stone hit my windscreen and it now has a nice crack on the driver's side. I have windscreen cover through my insurance.

Will my premium go up next year if I claim for replacing the windscreen?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It will depend on your policy (see your policy document) but generally they don't affect your NCB

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Generally windscreen replacement does not effect your NCB.

Check your policy for sure or ring them. Some or most insurance companies impose limitations on this, i.e. you can only make 2 or 3 windscreen claims in any 12 month period.

A couple of years ago I had a front and back windscreen replaced within a month of each other. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

You should be OK wrt NCB.

Your insurance company will probably send you out to the place in Brierfield Industrial Estate behind Western Motors (I think it's Autoglass). I've used them a few times, and their service is excellent. Coffee and Internet while you wait, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Fey! wrote:
    You should be OK wrt NCB.

Your insurance company will probably send you out to the place in Brierfield Industrial Estate behind Western Motors (I think it's Autoglass). I've used them a few times, and their service is excellent. Coffee and Internet while you wait, too.
    I'm with Allianz and was able to get Autoglass to come out to me. Don't see why you'd have to go to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Be wary if with Quinn Direct as it's not covered as standard on most of their policies. If you claim you will end up paying the excess and lose your NCB.

They've apparently changed this now, but you can only add the cover at renewal, so I was stuck paying for it myself a few months back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Hi Guys,

I checked my policy last night. I'm with One Direct by the way. Since I'm third party the most they allow is 260 for windscreen cover.

Does anyone know what Autoglass charge the insurance company as I presume I'd have to pay whatever was above the 260 mark?

Could I also just fix it myself with Autoglass since they won't charge as much for an individual and then bill the insurance company?

Will ring the insurance company today but just checking if anyone had the above answers

The best thing to do is ring autoglass and get a price off them. Then explain your insurance situation and see what they say.

In fairness to them, I've had a couple of jobs done there and have always found them to be very fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

if you end up paying for it yourself or your insurance company has a low payment threshold, then the best advice is to phone around. I got a windscreen replaced last year and the difference in quotes was €120 between the highest and the lowest.

I talked to Autoglass today and they gave me a quote for E320.
    I also asked if they charged more when going through insurance but they said it's normally lower if you're with someone like Hibernian as they get a lot of business off them.

So going to go ahead with it. Talked to my Insurance Company (One direct) too which is a broker for Hibernian and they said I was covered for E260 with my third party insurance.

So might have to pay a little extra depending on the final bill.

Thanks for the replies

Got it done this morning. Cost E240 through the insurance.
    A saving of E80 from the quote I got for me to pay for it myself.

So I'm all covered. Wohoo!!!

• Advertisement

Does that mean that your insurance covered you fully?

As an aside, I saw my g/fs policy yesterday, and her windscreen cover is €227 on a fully comp policy.

Fey! wrote:
    Does that mean that your insurance covered you fully?

As an aside, I saw my g/fs policy yesterday, and her windscreen cover is €227 on a fully comp policy.

Yeah Fey as my windscreen cover is E260. That's only third party so lucky enough considering your g/f is fully comp

Advertisement